Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton's epic comeback result reversed by the Plymouth statistician

Don't usually buy programmes, either home or away but made an exception at Plymouth and was pleasantly surprised that they seem to have made an effort with no less than 10 pages devoted to the club, the ground and former players.

Less than impressed though with Argyle's stats man Charlie Rose who turned the Addick's remarkable 7-6 Valley victory against Huddersfield Town in December 1957 (after being 5-1 down) into a 6-7 defeat at Huddersfield's Leeds Road ground!

Quite how he managed to accomplish this I don't know but careless in the extreme.

He won't get away with it though. As I work in Plymouth and often drive past Home Park - a careful but polite letter to the aforesaid Charlie Rose will be dropped off enclosing the details of Johnny Summers' five goals and the fact that Charlton played with 10 men from the 17th minute.

Comments

• Perhaps he got himself confused with the remarkable switcheroo in 1960 - Boxing Day CAFC 6-4 PAFC, followed the very next day with the return PAFC 6-4 CAFC. The previous season hadn't been too bad, either - at The Valley we won 5-2 and lost at Home Park 6-4 (again that highly unusual score).
  • Don't usually buy programmes, either home or away but made an exception at Plymouth and was pleasantly surprised that they seem to have made an effort with no less than 10 pages devoted to the club, the ground and former players.

Less than impressed though with Argyle's stats man Charlie Rose who turned the Addick's remarkable 7-6 Valley victory against Huddersfield Town in December 1957 (after being 5-1 down) into a 6-7 defeat at Huddersfield's Leeds Road ground!

Quite how he managed to accomplish this I don't know but careless in the extreme.

He won't get away with it though. As I work in Plymouth and often drive past Home Park - a careful but polite letter to the aforesaid Charlie Rose will be dropped off enclosing the details of Johnny Summers' five goals and the fact that Charlton played with 10 men from the 17th minute.

Demand a printed apology and full retraction of such a scandalous error.

• Don't usually buy programmes, either home or away but made an exception at Plymouth and was pleasantly surprised that they seem to have made an effort with no less than 10 pages devoted to the club, the ground and former players.

Demand a printed apology and full retraction of such a scandalous error.

You are right of course and furthermore, previous transgressors have been executed on Plymouth Hoe where, literally, X marks the spot.

imageimage
  • Yes, I noticed that as well. As punishment the match should be awarded to us 4-0

• Perhaps he got himself confused with the remarkable switcheroo in 1960 - Boxing Day CAFC 6-4 PAFC, followed the very next day with the return PAFC 6-4 CAFC. The previous season hadn't been too bad, either - at The Valley we won 5-2 and lost at Home Park 6-4 (again that highly unusual score).

That's crazy - did they have far Eastern betting syndicates in the 1960's?