Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plymouth 2 Charlton 0 Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2017
    uie2 said:

Oggy Red said:

Our pretty passing game was lovely to watch but needs to be mixed up with some direct stuff at times.

We often seemed to over-elaborate, playing one pass too many - sure we retained possession, but Argyle defended in pairs denying us space and closing us down quickly. And that became much of the pattern of the game.

As said already, Argyle were a big and physical side, generally very well organised and contained us, working hard for each other.
    They played like like they were the away side. The first goal gave them the belief and confidence that they could get a result.

As the game wore on they become more physical and got away with it.
    But we ran out of ideas, no movement and not enough urgency to cause them any panic.

It's all about taking chances: Argyle too theirs and we didn't.

As one of my local Argyle mates said, the result could have gone either way.
    Another day, we'll play much worse and win.

PS: Good to meet up again with Tellytubby and LewisCoaches.
    And Ketman, Gumbo and co.

Have we ever had a Scottish manager? I can't think of one! Anyway most of them seem to get the best out of there teams!
    Frank Hill

Alex MacFarlane
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I think you can start one up front, but must be able to change easily and quickly. That is simply because lesser opponents can do what the Plymouth manager admitted he did, which is get bodies behind the ball. It seems their tactics were to stop us and score from set pieces -if not get a point. Not blindingly original, but it has a decent chance of working against us as we lack a bit of height so will never be totally secure against balls coming in.

Now to be fair, we had chances to score on Saturday and had we taken one of those, Plymouth may have opened up and we may have got more - but that brings us to our other weakness.

What I am trying to say, is it may entirely be possible that we have the most talented squad in the League, but getting beaten on Saturday was not a fluke. I predicted it at half time - talking to my brother. I would go as far as saying, that if Northampton have a half competent manager, they will approach the game in the same way as Plymouth.

Plymouth were coming to terms with us even before their manager got to them at half time - unfortunately it isn't rocket science how you deal with this formation. You may not be able to stop creme de la creme players, but whilst our players are above the level, they are less able to defeat neagtive tactics by skill. We do need a couple of decent strikers and flexibility inapproach and if we did that, I think we would be genuine favourites to go up. As it stands, it could be a bit of a struggle. I'm sure we will win games, some by big margins, but there will be too many games where we don't!

By the way, when I say negative tactics - I mean defensive and accepting the strengths of the other side, which means they are sensible tactics. I am not complaining about Plymouth at all.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

If I was the negative type I'd point out that we didn't really score against Rovers last week either.

No one is deadly enough in front of goal at the moment. The Bristol goal was too near the keeper and on another day may not have been given. The first Exeter goal only went in due to the deflection and for the second the ball deflected into RCC''s path from another deflected shot. All three goals were a bit streaky and have perhaps given cause for false optimism. We will see over the coming weeks no doubt.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    What was telling for me against Exeter was that despite having a great game, KAG missed a sitter. Magennis should have scored a couple on Saturday, although one was a decent save. When we won the league, I recall BWP putting the ball away with virtually every chance he got for the first half of the season at least. It started the momentum.
  • Options
    As others have said great first half and should of been 2 nil up. Second half they come out fired up and got the goal and we looked a bit huff and puff with the second goal coming form a break away that we should of had a free kick for.
  • Options
    Thought Solly looked like he was running through porridge from the get go! Poor game overall.
    Yes we need a striker desperately, genuinely wonder who we can bring in realistically within budget, personally would like Grigg if possible.
    Fosu was pretty much marked out the game but when he got free looked dangerous and with more experience, he will know how to deal with those situations.
    Personally would have started KAG over Mag as he was fitter and I think the vote of confidence would sent him out buzzing with something to prove! When he came on he looked okay and I think he would have caused all sorts of problems over 90 minutes.
    It is a cliché but on another day we would have won, I don't think Plymouth were good, quite the opposite actually.
    For a home side to sit back and set up for counter attacks is poor and will cost them hugely later in the season.

Only 2nd game and I honestly think we will do alright but sometimes these things happen in football.
  • Options
    uie2 said:

Oggy Red said:

Our pretty passing game was lovely to watch but needs to be mixed up with some direct stuff at times.

We often seemed to over-elaborate, playing one pass too many - sure we retained possession, but Argyle defended in pairs denying us space and closing us down quickly. And that became much of the pattern of the game.

As said already, Argyle were a big and physical side, generally very well organised and contained us, working hard for each other.
    They played like like they were the away side. The first goal gave them the belief and confidence that they could get a result.

But we ran out of ideas, no movement and not enough urgency to cause them any panic.

Have we ever had a Scottish manager? I can't think of one! Anyway most of them seem to get the best out of there teams!
    Jimmy Seed's mum was scottish. Will that do?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    JamesSeed said:

uie2 said:

Oggy Red said:

Jimmy Seed's mum was scottish. Will that do?
    On the basis that he could have represented his country that'll more than do for me Jimmy (you need to Imagine Russ Abbott saying this in his kilt) :wink:

Better still here you go;
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

I keep saying this.... Magennis is only decent when he's fully fit, pumped up, and firing on all cylinders. He only reached full fitness and form for about three matches last season. That's not good enough if you want promotion.

We need a proper 20 goals a season man, a natural, versatile finisher; in other words, someone who can contribute even on an off day, or when the side isn't playing well. Ajose wasn't that man, so it's pointless mentioning him again.

The major problem is that players like that don't come cheap.

Over to you Roland....

Kerms
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Having no alternative plan can be like not ever planning in the first place... Your opposition know how to play against you.

I feel we try to play the exact same game of football week in, week out. It works for the games where others have failed to plan or where the opposition lose a player or two early...

Amos made mistakes, neither goal would I hold him at 100% fault for, though I feel he should have done better with the ranged effort.
    dizzee said:

JamesSeed said:

I keep saying this.... Magennis is only decent when he's fully fit, pumped up, and firing on all cylinders. He only reached full fitness and form for about three matches last season. That's not good enough if you want promotion.

We need a proper 20 goals a season man, a natural, versatile finisher; in other words, someone who can contribute even on an off day, or when the side isn't playing well. Ajose wasn't that man, so it's pointless mentioning him again.

The major problem is that players like that don't come cheap.

Over to you Roland....

Kerms
    I'd take Yann but I can't see him being prolific in this system.

He needs a 4-4-2
  • Options
    4321 (minus the 1) worked against Brovers as the system is perfect for defending a slender lead or for nicking a draw .. at League 1 level it won't win many games, simply because the average or even above average L1 player is not good enough to fully utilise the system .. we don't have a Costa up front to score the goals or a Hazard to penetrate and score from midfield ..
    I know I am stating the bleedin obvious here but you get my drift .. to dominate or even to escape this League we need to be more adventurous and attack more, have the confidence that we can outscore and outclass the vast majority of our opponents .. we now have the potential and the players to do very well IF IF Robbo and co grasp the nettle and play either 3 5 2 or 4 4 2 .. DO NOT leave it too late
  • Options

Ahearne-Grant 7 - Defenders can't live with him

I bet they don't mind his shooting though. I think he's a winger or a 10 at best, in which case he needs to get more assists.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Just watched extended highlights on VP.

Proof that Magennis needs be 100% fit and firing, or else we struggle:

1min 30 secs Great cross by Holmes. Header chance Mag. Didn't jump high enough (or at all?), so ball went tamely over the bar
    2:30 One on one with keeper went too wide with first touch. Shot tamely at keeper.
    6:00 Failed to clear corner. Ball went over his head. Goal Plymouth
    8:00 One on one. Failed to touch it past the keeper.
  • Options
    hell of a long game
  • Options

4321 (minus the 1) worked against Brovers as the system is perfect for defending a slender lead or for nicking a draw .. at League 1 level it won't win many games, simply because the average or even above average L1 player is not good enough to fully utilise the system .. we don't have a Costa up front to score the goals or a Hazard to penetrate and score from midfield ..
    I know I am stating the bleedin obvious here but you get my drift .. to dominate or even to escape this League we need to be more adventurous and attack more, have the confidence that we can outscore and outclass the vast majority of our opponents .. we now have the potential and the players to do very well IF IF Robbo and co grasp the nettle and play either 3 5 2 or 4 4 2 .. DO NOT leave it too late

We played 441 v Rovers
  • Options
    Plymouth set up first half like an away team with one intent - not to concede.

We moved the ball around well but across the back four and not fast enough at the right time to expose the back four. Clarke did most to unsettle the defence.

They were well drilled lower league unit with muscle at the back and muscle at the front and a couple of ball players. We were always outnumbered on the height front from set pieces lobbed into the mix.

Reckon we will always concede a few from set pieces and will need to outscore to win games.

Success this season might depend much on the youngsters getting the right coaching.
  • Options

We played 441 v Rovers
    Wasn't it technically 4-2-3-0 ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc-west said:

We played 441 v Rovers
    No, Holmes and Fosu dropped back and played wide in a conventional midfield four alongside JFC and kashi while Clarke was alone up front. Later Holmes and Clarke switched.
  • Options

cafc-west said:

We played 441 v Rovers
    No, Holmes and Fosu dropped back and played wide in a conventional midfield four alongside JFC and kashi while Clarke was alone up front. Later Holmes and Clarke switched.
    OK - my attention to the finer detail just isn't there!
  • Options

The fat scouse gobshitter-in-chief finds another barrel to scrape: takes the risk to play an unfit striker, sticks to his one system that requires a supremely fit striker getting lots of service, leaves the patently unfit & struggling striker on for the full 90, also leaves on slow moving defensive midfielder as he slows and struggles thru 2nd half when Charlton need a quick goal, takes off other midfielder not struggling anywhere nearly as much, leaves on young midfielder obviously struggling and losing his composure past 80 minutes, bar 10 minutes (by which time we're effectively playing with 9 men) sticks with the one plan throughout game despite 45 minutes of it patently not working.
    Loaning Brandon Hanlan out so early now looks as fucktarded as I feared.
    And to cap off failing to acknowledge his own role in the defeat he essentially blames the unfit strike 'force' despite finding the home side's goalie in fine form.
    Tony Watt's departure "we'll keep that internal" - as if we didn't know you're not free to manage as you see fit, how gullible do you take us for? Sorry, gullible: adjective: means easily deceived, naive, simple, credulous, stoopid.
    Well done Karl you've managed to underwhelm even me and I was already sure you're a one-trick-fuckwit pony who'd be lucky to make it to the glue factory. Please please put a sock in it you babbling twat.

I can't even begin to imagine what you are in person
  • Options

The fat scouse gobshitter-in-chief finds another barrel to scrape: takes the risk to play an unfit striker, sticks to his one system that requires a supremely fit striker getting lots of service, leaves the patently unfit & struggling striker on for the full 90, also leaves on slow moving defensive midfielder as he slows and struggles thru 2nd half when Charlton need a quick goal, takes off other midfielder not struggling anywhere nearly as much, leaves on young midfielder obviously struggling and losing his composure past 80 minutes, bar 10 minutes (by which time we're effectively playing with 9 men) sticks with the one plan throughout game despite 45 minutes of it patently not working.
    And to cap off failing to acknowledge his own role in the defeat he essentially blames the unfit strike 'force' despite finding the home side's goalie in fine form.
    Tony Watt's departure "we'll keep that internal" - as if we didn't know you're not free to manage as you see fit, how gullible do you take us for? Sorry, gullible: adjective: means easily deceived, naive, simple, credulous, stoopid.
    Well done Karl you've managed to underwhelm even me and I was already sure you're a one-trick-fuckwit pony who'd be lucky to make it to the glue factory. Please please put a sock in it you babbling twat.

I'm certain that someone can make an appropriate anagram from your user name. In fact you've done the last bit yourself.

• Options
    Stig. I think I agree with most of what I understand but I believe Hanlan is injured not loaned. Would have had Umerah on rather than RHF also.
  • Options

Seen Charlton play that well in recent years like we did in the first half? It wasn't without its flaws but a 100% a step in the right direction.
    Yes we lost but I'm sorry the games you lose due to ''not taking the chances'' can happen at any point in a season.

Get the goal scorer in and we will more games than we lose.

Fortunately for you though as you enjoy a good waffle, our (Dictator) owner can point you in the right direction of some fantastic ones away from this site.
  • Options

Thanks Tony, good luck in Belgium.
  • Options
    based on watching 12 minutes of highlights Amos is a complete and utter liability, bring back Phillips
  • Options
    We need a Striker and a Goalkeeper (it could be Phillips)
    We also need to wear Red away whenever possible (eg.Plymouth)
    That horrible Blue kit reminds of the one Ferguson insisted was dumped by Man Utd.
  • Options
    It was all my fault. I didn't want to own up to it, but I turned up after 25 minutes when we were supposedly on top. Didn't look like coming close to scoring in the remaining 65.