Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Great Western Railway

124»

Comments

• Love it. Only on here could a thread that started as an observation about a train seat double booking degenerate into a peeing contest about the state of the UK privatised rail operators!

Quality.

I blame the French!
    Indeed you can.....Connex was French and that is where it all started to go wrong

• Love it. Only on here could a thread that started as an observation about a train seat double booking degenerate into a peeing contest about the state of the UK privatised rail operators!

Quality.

I blame the French!
    Most things are their fault and they are easy to hate so a good call.
  • Plus French trains are said to be quicker than flying.

Comforting to know that our planes still rule the roost on speed and boast about it too! Check out the claim made on the propeller case of this ‘speed merchant’ that I took to Dublin.
  • edited August 2017
  • Let's face it the whole rail network is a national embarrassment. Trains full and rarely get above 60 mph.

Yesterday we were on train between Plymouth and Totnes and a duck was flying parallel to the train and slowly overtook us.

At least it's cheap and good value for money.

I'm on a train to Aviemore right now and 3 people have been chucked out of 1st class and there are people standing in the aisles of riff raff class.
    You standing Mick ? ;0)

there are 3 of us in the toilet.
    Is one of you a lookout?
  • Let's face it the whole rail network is a national embarrassment. Trains full and rarely get above 60 mph.

Yesterday we were on train between Plymouth and Totnes and a duck was flying parallel to the train and slowly overtook us.

I'm on a train to Aviemore right now and 3 people have been chucked out of 1st class and there are people standing in the aisles of riff raff class.
    You standing Mick ? ;0)

Is one of you a lookout?
    Yep.

and it's absolutely pissing down here.
  • @RugbyAddick Computer error I guess. Did you complain to the train manager? Then what you should then do is complain to GWR and explain the situation. Hopefully they can compensate you.
  • clb74 said:

Am on the 18.44 from Portsmouth Harbour to Victoria.

Only 4 bloody carriages so the train is rather crowded. Unfortunately both toilets are out of order and I'm dying for a poo!

Ffs I'm eating my dinner
    Arrived at Worthing and the train joined up with another four carriages.

I moved quicker than Usain Bolt into the front four carriages and found a toilet available. There is a God after all!!!!
    I'll warrant you moved quicker than poor knackered old Usain this last weekend, else you'd have soiled yourself.

You standing Mick ? ;0)

Is one of you a lookout?
    Yep.

and it's absolutely pissing down here.
    S'what happens when you go to foreign countries.

• @Airman Brown

Are you seriously saying that population growth of under 20 per cent is responsible for passenger growth of 100 per cent?

Nope. Although if rail is a minority player in the market (I think long distance rail accounts for about 20% of such journeys , and it would be good to know how much that has increased), then the arithmetic says that if population growth grows by 10%, rail grows by 20% all other things being equal.

These are the main possible components of rail growth:

1. Market growth due to population growth

2. Market growth due to greater economic activity, both work and leisure

3. Increased supply of rail (generally, higher frequency, as we haven't built new lines)

4. Increased share of rail because more people opt for it versus car, bus or air (and then the question is, was it a positive choice)

We don't learn anything at all from that article about what proportion of the increase in passengers boasted about by the train operators can be attributed to each one of the above. But they can only take credit for (4), and even then only if research proves people positively chose train travel. So their claim is what is "just silly".

I agree that trains are more frequent now on many routes than 20 years ago. However, what we read from the OP of this thread, is that it does not seem to be any where near enough, and IMO for the reasons I have set out: Lack of political will, including from your lot; with the honourable exception of Andrew Adonis, whom Labour has shunted into a siding in the Lords
  • Sponsored links:

• Where's @MrLargo when you need him?
  • On my train home from Plymouth, and a major crisis I've run out of wine!
  • On my train home from Plymouth, and a major crisis I've run out of wine!

Ffs

HS1 is excellent. I didn't travel to Plymouth by train as we drove to Exeter on Tuesday and stayed down there, but had numerous good train trips last season - Chesterfield, Fleetwood (Blackpool), Peterborough, Walsall, Rochdale. I think we all tend to base our views on bad experiences and forget they are not the norm.
    Apologist! ;)