Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great Western Railway

Comments

• Options
    We're on the same train and the same happened with us but we were already in the seat so kept it. I think most people are not in their assigned seats and a lot of double booking. Seems to be a lot of people going on their hols to Devon and Cornwall.
  • Options
    My train down yesterday was rammed, the aisle was full of people sitting on the floor until Newton Abbot
  • Options
    Rob said:

We're on the same train and the same happened with us but we were already in the seat so kept it. I think most people are not in their assigned seats and a lot of double booking. Seems to be a lot of people going on their hols to Devon and Cornwall.

You've google translated this from the French very well :wink:
  • Options
    Was you on the 9.06 out of Paddington that had no water coming out of taps and toilets that wouldn't flush A.fucking disgrace I say.
  • Options

Take a picture of yourself sitting on the floor and send it to Jeremy Corbyn on twitter.

he probably is Jeremy Corbyn
  • Options
    Acab said:

Was you on the 9.06 out of Paddington that had no water coming out of taps and toilets that wouldn't flush A.fucking disgrace I say.

This isn't any kind of excuse, it's a disgrace, as you say, but when that type of train first started in service we had just unearthed a striker called Derek Hales.
  • Options

This is why if you're on your own you never book a seat in a 4. Always go for a 2. In that situation it's much easier to tell a pair of people than a family to fuck off.

Once he found out they were frogs he should have told them to f*** off!
  • Options

You surrendered to the French. You don't deserve a seat.

Joan of Arc may have led the French to victory over the English at Orléans
    No she didn't. She broke a siege. The rest of The Loire was still in English hands.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

No she didn't. She broke a siege. The rest of The Loire was still in English hands.

I think in hindsight it was a mistake to compare a random French lady on holiday to Joan of Arc. I gather that the hapless RugbyAddick had no intention of even reclaiming his seat, let alone burning her at the stake in retribution.

I apologise unreservedly to all concerned for the misrepresentation of the facts, be they historical or present day :neutral: .
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Addickted said:

I think in hindsight it was a mistake to compare a random French lady on holiday to Joan of Arc. I gather that the hapless RugbyAddick had no intention of even reclaiming his seat, let alone burning her at the stake in retribution.

I apologise unreservedly to all concerned for the misrepresentation of the facts, be they historical or present day :neutral: .
    RugbyAddick could have waited until the train went through a tunnel and kick "Joan of Arc" out and take the seat, a case of OMD.
  • Options
    Better not have this problem when get train to Bradford.
  • Options
    Rugby why didn't you just stay in your seat and get the staff to sort it out
  • Options
    edited August 2017

This is why if you're on your own you never book a seat in a 4. Always go for a 2. In that situation it's much easier to tell a pair of people than a family to fuck off.

Bit much elfs
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Rugby why didn't you just stay in your seat and get the staff to sort it out

He wished he had, but being a decent sort of chap he gave up the seat so that the French family could sit together. At this point in the journey he thought he would be able to get a seat elsewhere on the train. What he didn't realise was that the train was jam-packed (even first class was full) and there were no other seats Let's hope his return journey fared better!
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Bit much elfs
    Wouldn't expect anything else from him.
  • Options

Let's face it the whole rail network is a national embarrassment. Trains full and rarely get above 60 mph.

Yesterday we were on train between Plymouth and Totnes and a duck was flying parallel to the train and slowly overtook us.

At least it's cheap and good value for money.

I'm on a train to Aviemore right now and 3 people have been chucked out of 1st class and there are people standing in the aisles of riff raff class.
  • Options

Let's face it the whole rail network is a national embarrassment. Trains full and rarely get above 60 mph.

Yesterday we were on train between Plymouth and Totnes and a duck was flying parallel to the train and slowly overtook us.

I'm on a train to Aviemore right now and 3 people have been chucked out of 1st class and there are people standing in the aisles of riff raff class.
    You standing Mick ? ;0)

• Sponsored links:

• Options

You standing Mick ? ;0)

there are 3 of us in the toilet.
  • Options
    Seriously though,
    there are people standing all the way to Scotland!
    There are lots of young Asian blokes wearing Man U shirts. A few West Ham.

and Baldybonce JNR is eating his way through the food trolley
  • Options
    A solution to the problem of overcrowding of busy and popular services is to run an additional relief service ten minutes in front of the scheduled service, in British Rail days relief additional trains were common but under the disastrous "privitised" fragmented railway we now have it's impossible. The tax payer is still pouring vast amounts of money into the railway hence "privitised" .

The morning departures to Cornwall on a Friday and Saturday are obvious examples where an additional relief train would be a good idea in the summer and at bank holidays. In the 80s when I was frequently on trains from London to Scotland I travelled on many additional trains. If the above poster is on the 12.00 Kings Cross - Inverness to Aviemore this is another service that would benefit from from an additional service running in front of it, I have experience of it and it can be packed.

Final example of our ludicrous "privitised" railway - when the play offs were in Cardiff one year the league 1 final was Hartlepool v Sheffield Wednesday. Instead of running football specials to cater for the demand, Virgin Cross Country produced posters advising football fans not to travel to Cardiff by train
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm the 12 o clock to Inverness and its been reduced to nine carriages.
  • Options

That's quackers
  • Options
    edited August 2017

HS1 is excellent. I didn't travel to Plymouth by train as we drove to Exeter on Tuesday and stayed down there, but had numerous good train trips last season - Chesterfield, Fleetwood (Blackpool), Peterborough, Walsall, Rochdale. I think we all tend to base our views on bad experiences and forget they are not the norm.
  • Options
    If we had played Plymouth in February, there would have been plenty of space on the train. I for one wouldn't have gone! It's the same as the A303 which is a nightmare in summer, but quiet in winter
  • Options

HS1 is excellent. I didn't travel to Plymouth by train as we drove to Exeter on Tuesday and stayed down there, but had numerous good train trips last season - Chesterfield, Fleetwood (Blackpool), Peterborough, Walsall, Rochdale. I think we all tend to base our views on bad experiences and forget they are not the norm.
    Sorry Airman. Other threads remind us that we have the fifth biggest economy in the world and our railways are shameful compared to other countries of similar standing (no pun) in Europe.

• Options
    edited August 2017

On the contrary I think too many Brits do not have transport, and especially the railways, higher up their personal political agendas because they have not experienced enough of the railways in other advanced European countries. Remind me how long HS1 is again...70 miles? Wow. Lines like that are standard across the whole of Germany, covering virtually every major conurbation. And of course unlike on HS1, you don't have to pay a "premium" just because the train goes slightly faster than the ones to Plymouth built in Derek Hales' day. The French have just opened an upgrade of the TGV line to Bordeaux. 2hours and 3 minutes from Paris, if you please. That will pretty much eliminate Air France from that route as it has other domestic air routes. Name me one domestic air route in the UK that has been decimated because of rail competition. Not the routes Eurostar serves because Eurostar is so bloody expensive. I am a fan, but Eurostar justify their pricing on the basis that it is a "premium" service compared with having to go to an airport.

All this comes about because since I have been old enough to vote, public transport has been at or near the bottom of the political agenda. The Transport Ministry is regarded as one for high flyers, both the ministers and the civil servants, to avoid. Even after it became lethally dangerous to travel on the railways in the Railtrack era, I don't remember it being anywhere near the top of the agenda at the next general election. Now of course we have a vague muttering from Corbyn that he will "renationalise" it, without any detail, and particularly without any indication that Labour has studied best practice in countries where the railways are better. In Germany, DB is actually a private company, albeit the State is the main shareholder, and it has to compete on an increasing number of routes, but the whole system remains fully integrated. Apart from Eurostar, in the last 3-4 years I have experienced Virgin to Manchester twice. It was sort of OK, but not cheap. And Ipswich from Stratford for that evening game where I was with you - you had driven up. It was shite. People of course sitting in our reserved seats, but again like the OP here, a mother and child, so we stood. We could not have sought out another seat because you literally could not move down the train. On the way back the toilets were disgusting, the heating didn't work, and of course the idea of buying a beer to console us, either in the station or on the train, was out of the question. Still if even you, probably the most senior experienced politician in our ranks, think its all kinda OK, then well you get the trains you deserve. Choo-choo!

What he said.

Perhaps Brexit Ducks fly faster than their French and German counterparts.