Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holiday Drama/opinions please?

Comments

• Options
    Seriously? Can you flag yourself on here?
  • Options

Sorry @carly burn i did think that at the time, but i wanted to put as much detail as possible :)

8 days away :wink:
  • Options

What has happened to today's youth?
    What about the fact he has let his mates down by not going?
    Fuck him.
    Let the other bloke have a free bee and make sure he remembers it for the rest of his life what a good time you had.
    Your group will be better friends after the holiday and ditch the prick for missing out on the time of his youthful life.
    Better still, take him out on the free bees expense and wipe your cock around every pint you buy him.

Wouldn't have done it in our day eh mate and our Chara bang trips to Blackpool. If you said you were going, you were going,,,, no ifs, no buts....
    My point exactly
  • Options
    masicat said:

For what? thats gone over my head
  • Options

I was in a similar situation a few years ago in that I took someone's place by paying the admin fee. I was happy to share the cost of the holiday of the others going, but they wouldn't let me! I could afford to pay and felt massively guilty they wouldn't let me. I tried to pay for as much on the holiday as possible to make up for it to share the costs more evenly, including paying for as much as everyone could eat and drink one evening. Amazing looking back they all said I didn't need to pay when I thought I should!

by the sound of your username I'm assuming your female............these are blokes remember.
    Does that really make a difference? I don't necessarily agree with the guy who cant go, but the guy taking his place is taking the piss! Especially when the others he's going with have paid full whack. I guess it depends on everyone's circumstances and how close everyone is. As can think of exceptions amongst friends
    the "being a female" comment was meant in a jokey way, ie - women are more thoughtful & will want to do the best for the group - men aren't like that & will probably think of themselves first.
    Speak for yourself!
    :-)
  • Options
    The mate that's pulled out sounds like a ten year old
  • Options
    masicat said:

Ooh, self-flagellation, this thread's taken a turn for the worse. But I don't think it's that kind of holiday.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    MrOneLung said:

I was in a similar situation a few years ago in that I took someone's place by paying the admin fee. I was happy to share the cost of the holiday of the others going, but they wouldn't let me! I could afford to pay and felt massively guilty they wouldn't let me. I tried to pay for as much on the holiday as possible to make up for it to share the costs more evenly, including paying for as much as everyone could eat and drink one evening. Amazing looking back they all said I didn't need to pay when I thought I should!

by the sound of your username I'm assuming your female............these are blokes remember.
    Does that really make a difference? I don't necessarily agree with the guy who cant go, but the guy taking his place is taking the piss! Especially when the others he's going with have paid full whack. I guess it depends on everyone's circumstances and how close everyone is. As can think of exceptions amongst friends
    Why is he taking the piss?

Not as if the first person pulled out due to a death in the family. He has said he doesn't want to be tired for work and was ok writing off the money and letting down his mates.

Then someone who couldn't afford the cost of the original holiday was offered a chance to pay a smaller amount for an admin change and be able to go. Most people would be pleased for the lad.
    I think it depends on the circumstances of the one potentially taking the place. Why should the others going pay the full amount and he just pays the change of name fee? Why not share his luck with the others by sharing the costs? In my view it does depend on individual circumstances for example if someone has had a bad run of luck not their fault, had poor health or a stressful time and all the friends are happy for them to have something good to happen to them. If it is just 'I'll have a virtually free holiday and why should I pay a share?' then that is different. I know people I'd do the first for and I know people who try and get away with the second scenario

Definitely not straightforward as several people involved. Someone paying the full amount may have saved carefully to be able to go in the first place, giving up stuff to be able to do so when the new guy can't afford it because his pisses his money away and then says he doesn't have the funds. Extreme examples I know and it's no one's business normally how others spend their money. But I can think of people who can never afford to pay their share/get a round not because of hard luck and then expect everyone else to pay, which is a real shame and not cricket!
  • Options
    Sorry to bump own thread, thought i would update.

Mate 2 decided he wasn't going now on Saturday... after all that agg! Me and one of the others went harvester with Mate 1 on Sunday, he seemed ok still a bit down and troubled but nothing was awkward between any of us 3, could potentially be Saturday night if both Mate 1 & 2 go though :P
  • Options
    Seems mate 1 was happy to lose the money, wasn't happy with mate 2 taking advantage of the situation ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    are mates 1 and 2 actually mates with each other or mates through you?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    It is strange but if mate 2 offered to pay a token amount, I believe mate 1 probably wouldn't have accepted it. It isn't about legalities but being mates. The fact that mate 2 seemed happy to take advantage - from the perspective of mate 1 anyway, meant he wasn't happy about it. Now you can fill in the detail - like mate 1 had no reason to pull out, but that might be missing important information and mates should assume the best and you can assume mate 2 didn't have say £70 he could offer mate 1 but he has the spending money etc....

The problem occurs when you try to view this logically or forensically, when really it is about mates and expectations within that of how mates should behave. These may be different for different mates as clearly seems to be the case here.
  • Options

They are mates, but probably closer with everyone else. Wouldn't go for a pint/ drink on their own...
  • Options

They are mates, but probably closer with everyone else. Wouldn't go for a pint/ drink on their own...

Sounds like mate one resents/is jealous of mate two going away with you without him (especially for free)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Are you lot actually 30 years old ?

Yes , is that in relation to where we are going? (cheap holiday/ sun/ nightlife)

Or just all the drama, again yes its a bit silly imo. Mate 2 is actually 27 but rest 31/30 , me 30 next week :)
  • Options
    So who's going to end up paying the admin fees to change the name over?

Round 2!
  • Options

So who's going to end up paying the admin fees to change the name over?

Round 2!

Mate 2 has put in group already he will pay admin fee when he dropped out, cant be bothered with getting changed again. One mate just split with his missus and did offer to him but as he cant at mo just going to be us 3 again :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017

This might help or confuse Mate 1 and Mate 2

Three friends have a nice meal together, and the bill is £25
    The three friends pay £10 each, which the waiter gives to the Cashier
    The Cashier hands back £5 to the Waiter
    But the Waiter can't split £5 three ways, so he gives the friends £1 each and keeps £2 as a tip.
    They all paid £10 and got £1 back. £10-£1 = £9
    There were three of them 3 X £9 = £27
    If they paid £27 and the waiter kept £2: £27+£2=£29
    Where did the other pound go? £30 - £1 = £29

I see no one has answered this (on the page it was posted on anywayI missed Seth's response).

£10 x 3 = £30 handed to the waiter
    - £3 change (£1 to each of the men)
    = £27 remaining in the waiters hand
    - £25 goes on the bill
    = £2 is still in the waiters hand.

Your sum seems to add the £2 back on again after refunding the men and paying the bill (the men had now only paid £27 not £30).
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

This might help or confuse Mate 1 and Mate 2

Three friends have a nice meal together, and the bill is £25
    The three friends pay £10 each, which the waiter gives to the Cashier
    The Cashier hands back £5 to the Waiter
    But the Waiter can't split £5 three ways, so he gives the friends £1 each and keeps £2 as a tip.
    They all paid £10 and got £1 back. £10-£1 = £9
    There were three of them 3 X £9 = £27
    If they paid £27 and the waiter kept £2: £27+£2=£29
    Where did the other pound go? £30 - £1 = £29

I see no one has answered this (on the page it was posted on anywayI missed Seth's response).

£10 x 3 = £30 handed to the waiter
    - £3 change (£1 to each of the men)
    = £27 remaining in the waiters hand
    - £25 goes on the bill
    = £2 is still in the waiters hand.

Your sum seems to add the £2 back on again after refunding the men and paying the bill (the men had now only paid £27 not £30).
    was a thread derail ;) also i have read it before but didnt feel need to respond...
  • Options

I had a similar thing about 10 years ago. I'd booked a holiday with a few mates and then something came up which meant I couldn't go. One of my mates going called in a pal of his which I didn't know to take my place. I was fine with it, I'd taken it as written off and the new feller covered the admin fee.

About a month after the holiday my mate (who called in the new feller) gave me £100 from his mate who had taken my place. I hadn't asked for it but as he'd had such a good time in my place he felt it was the right thing to do with his pay packet after the holiday.

Thought that was a nice touch to be honest.

pretty much how it should be
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Had basically the same situation where a guy dropped out of a big holiday(15 or so people) and I took his place, personally I'd have felt wrong to give him nothing for it, even though I was skint at the time - so we agreed to go 50/50 on the things he'd booked and would otherwise have lost (flights and accommodation) and I paid him back over a couple of months on payday.

If I'd just said either it's an empty seat or I go I'd expect him to be a little miffed but take it on the chin, and likewise if he asked me to pay all of it I probably would have done if I could pay back over a while (but wouldn't be happy about it). 50/50 felt right.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Yes , is that in relation to where we are going? (cheap holiday/ sun/ nightlife)

Or just all the drama, again yes its a bit silly imo. Mate 2 is actually 27 but rest 31/30 , me 30 next week :)
    In relation to your age!

I reckon your better off without either of them, you need to be careful about who you holiday with - mate one sounds like a drama queen who would very quickly get the hump and it sounds unlikely that mate two would be getting his share of the rounds in.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

In relation to your age!

I reckon your better off without either of them, you need to be careful about who you holiday with - mate one sounds like a drama queen who would very quickly get the hump and it sounds unlikely that mate two would be getting his share of the rounds in.
    Fair point, we have done several weekends away with the same group. Normally not a problem, first proper holiday with this group really but would have been fine with either of them going. Left with me and my best 2 mates so will be brilliant still :)
  • Options

When you go remember to take some mates!
  • Options

When you go remember to take some mates!
    Come again?
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Tell the judas tosser mate you've decided to go with just an empty seat and he has to meet cancellation obligations.
    This is a lie. Change the ticket into the new bloke's name and don't tell the judas tosser mate.
    Sorted. Send judas tosser mate a photo via social media of you all on holiday, giving him the finger.
    Have a great time and don't give a second thought about the ex-mate.

Haha already changed and at one point yesterday looked like the rest of us might have to pick up cancellation charge, i did say the rest jokingly when we were discussing with other mate we should just send loads of photos but i think that would send him over the edge :)
    I might be reading this incorrectly (only skimmed through) but if the friend who now can't go has paid in full why is there a cancellation fee ? The only fee payable should be an admin charge to change the name to the new passenger.
  • Options
    Keep up Bob.