Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the worst you have ever seen Charlton play?

Comments

• Options
    The 7-0 at Brighton in the eighties.
    To make that day worse we tried to leave and the police refused allow us out.
    Terrible day.

This thread is sure to get a mention elsewhere.
  • Options
    I have no doubt that we have played worse, but last season the 1-1 at Gillingham we were pathetic, can't remember being more angry watching a game
  • Options

I wasn't at Dagenham a year or two back, so for me it was the League Cup quarter final at home to Wycombe in 2006 (Les Read's last game ?). I actually ran down to the front of the east stand where I was sitting & threw my shirt onto the pitch I was so disgusted at the team & couldn't bear wearing the same shirt as them. I've never felt so low & fed up with a Charlton team in my life. Chance of reaching a Cup semi-final, at home to a team 3 leagues lower. It wasn't the losing that hurt, it was the abject, dismal performance ALL the players put in.

Without a doubt, it's this game for me. I was sat in the West Upper and was both appalled and embarrassed by what I was watching.

Agree - to a point. But didn't Wycombe have a cup run that year? They took Chelsea to a reply in the next round.

First game where I actively felt the performance was dreadful was 0-5 at home to Leicester C in 1970, Firmani's last game in charge.

On balance one of our mysteries must be the reserving of really poor performances for cup games. As well as Wycombe W in 2006-2007, there was Sheffield U in 2013-14 (where a win would have put us a game away from reaching the final), Northwich V and the home game vs Dagenham and Redbridge in 2001.

No cup final for us in 70 years - during which Palace (twice), Millwall and Wimbledon have all managed to appear at Wembley.

Strange........
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/2895709.stm

Funnily at the time of the 6-1 we were the team with European aspirations, while Leeds were nearer the relegation spots!
  • Options

No cup final for us in 70 years - during which Palace (twice), Millwall and Wimbledon have all managed to appear at Wembley.

Strange........

Yet weve won as many FA cups as all of them combined.
  • Options
    A few spring to mind. Dagenham away 2010/11ish. Wycombe and Sheffield Utd at home in more recent times. Then further back Leicester at home around 71 1-5 and Luton home around 74 1-5. MK Dons last season in the commemorative home game was pretty woeful and totally spineless given the Occassion.
  • Options
    For me it's the 5-2 defeat at home to Sheffield United
  • Options

How long have you got?

4-0 defeat at Millwall was really bad... the 6-1 scoreline against Leeds was awful but dont really remember the performance

We'll have to have individual performance threads for players based on this type of question next

What you need, what we all need, is to get Mick Collins' post match report on the official website. It was a masterpiece. One line went something like.."Talal el Khalej was brought on to try to stop the rot. His first move was to pass the ball straight to Harry Kewell, as if curious to see what he might do with it" (Kewell scored from that. And Mick was fired soon afterwards. But you will never see a better, more accurate report of a defeat on the official website).

Two more obscure ones

1-5 at home to Rotherham, early 80s. Ronnie Moore and Tony Towner (up against Aizelwood) filled their boots for Rotherham. Both subsequently signed for us.

Early 90s back at the Valley, a midweek game against Southend. We were utter, total shite, and one of the worst culprits was Steve Brown. Not sure if we got a goal, but they got 3 and it could have been 6. Andy Ansah was their guy having a laugh that night, I recall.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

MrOneLung said:

Pretty much every game live on telly in the last 10 years.

Other than Northwich and one or two other games, I think we've been pretty decent on Sky in the last few years...
    Really Dazzler.......I find that surprising to be honest.
    My memory could be wrong! I'd love someone to list out the games and results, but I remember us winning a few of them.

I certainly remember when we beat a decent Orient side 3-1 with goals from Solly and Waggy.
    We also lost to Orient on the telly a year or so later (New Year's Eve, I think) under Powell, when Hamer was sent off about 2 minutes in.

Lost 3-0 at Swindon last year, lost 3-0 at home to Ipswich the year before, although also beat M'boro 2-0.

A "mixed record" at best.
    remember that one well, me and 2 mates that were attending the game decided to stick £100 in each and use the winnings for a few nye drinks - twats.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Second season in the Championship post relegation. It was obvious in the games leading up to Pardew's sacking that the team had lost respect in him. Annoyed me at the time that the board took so long to get rid when it was so obvious he wasn't going to turn it around.

4-0 Millwall is definitely top though. Spineless, we bottled it. Didn't hear the end of it for months from my spanner mates. Had to turn my phone off for a few days. Still get grief (and nightmares) about it now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wycombe cup game takes some beating.

1-6 at home to Leeds

4-1 at Everton. @Clem_Snide and I left 5 mins in to the 2nd half.

Definitely that Leeds game, and also a 3-0 loss at Aldershot in the mid 70's
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Limited experience.... but two home games in a row last season were dire.

Sep 27, 2016 Charlton 1-1 Oldham
    Oct 1, 2016 Charlton 0-1 Rochdale

To be honest, the draw was the worst of the two.

I was over to see the family that week. Only games I saw. They were terrible. You can blame me.

I'll be at the Doncaster game this season, so I'd recommend giving that a miss.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    leeds 6-1 at home takes some beating
  • Options
    Wrexham away in the FA cup , 6-0 in the early eighties.
  • Options
    Where do you want to start with this one? Leeds putting six past us at home in the Premier League was pretty bad. Northwich Victoria was embarrassing.

I'd include every Millwall away game in the last ten years, especially the 4-0 there.

Hull away 6-0, Middlsebrough away in the same season (3-0?), Bury away last season.

Unfortunately there's too many to mention in the Duchatelet and Meire era.
  • Options

I wasn't at Dagenham a year or two back, so for me it was the League Cup quarter final at home to Wycombe in 2006 (Les Read's last game ?). I actually ran down to the front of the east stand where I was sitting & threw my shirt onto the pitch I was so disgusted at the team & couldn't bear wearing the same shirt as them. I've never felt so low & fed up with a Charlton team in my life. Chance of reaching a Cup semi-final, at home to a team 3 leagues lower. It wasn't the losing that hurt, it was the abject, dismal performance ALL the players put in.

That was the first game I ever took my now wife to.
    When we got home, she threw up.
    Was that before or after you took your clothes off?
  • Options

Early 90s back at the Valley, a midweek game against Southend. We were utter, total shite, and one of the worst culprits was Steve Brown. Not sure if we got a goal, but they got 3 and it could have been 6. Andy Ansah was their guy having a laugh that night, I recall.

Remember that one, 3-0 defeat I think. Went to the game, then went home and watched the highlights on Carlton Sport - much less in the way of TV coverage in those days, so even after a lousy performance like that there was still a sense of obligation to relive the misery.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Remember that one, 3-0 defeat I think. Went to the game, then went home and watched the highlights on Carlton Sport - much less in the way of TV coverage in those days, so even after a lousy performance like that there was still a sense of obligation to relive the misery.
    Didn't we follow that up with a rare home win over the scum?
  • Options

Rotherham at home early 80s. May have been under Ken Craggs management, possibly his last game. Anyway we got beat 1-5 and were an embarrassment.

Was there for that too. Decent crowd showed up for what should have been Allan Simonsen's debut but he didn't play through injury I think.
  • Options

Strange........

Haven't even made a semi-final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brighton away 7-0, Wolves away 5-0 but worse was Wycombe cup debacle at home.
  • Options
    All of the Phil Parkinson games blend together but almost certainly one of those. I think it was home to Preston in like 2009 maybe where we had four central midfielders across midfield and Tresor Kandol up front. 0-0 and we were awful. Forgive me if I have gotten details wrong.

Also, saw us at home to Rochdale in February 2012 with a shit Valley pitch. Drew 1-1. We romanticize that season a lot, not wrongly, but we played some pretty poor football at times (get it, knock it out to the wings, cross it in, rinse and repeat).
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

There was a game against Liverpool which Mark Lawrenson said was the worst performance by a premiership team he's ever seen. That was pretty awful, but I'm sure I've seen worse... When we lost to Preston at home in the league cup springs to mind

That Liverpool game is my worst, I had moved to Portugal by that time and watching it in the pub with friends trying to be kind, and plastic Mickys gloating was simply awful. I didn't see the Wycombe match as it wasn't televised . 5-0 at West Ham and the boxing day capitulation at Wimbledon were awful, along with 1-6 Leeds. One more I remember was a one nil home defeat to Bury at Upton Park. Shocking performance.
  • Options
    Just a few that come to mind:
    FA Cup against non-league Halifax, televised - humiliating
    Early round of the league cup at the Valley against Dowie's youthful championship palarse - many players not trying that night
    End of the pardew era, 5 - 2 home defeat against Sheffield United - gutless
    2003 Charlton 7th in PL, Leeds Utd floundering, Peter Reid newly in as caretaker, imposter addicks rolled over and provided no hindrance to Smith & Viduka as they orchestrated a facile 6 - 1 drubbing - infuriating lack of pride
  • Options
    Sadly there seems plenty to choose from, 1-6 Leeds game jumps out because I took Leeds supporting friends that day.
  • Options

How long have you got?

4-0 defeat at Millwall was really bad... the 6-1 scoreline against Leeds was awful but dont really remember the performance

We'll have to have individual performance threads for players based on this type of question next

1-5 at home to Rotherham, early 80s. Ronnie Moore and Tony Towner (up against Aizelwood) filled their boots for Rotherham. Both subsequently signed for us.

Strangely, this was my first ever Charlton game, so I thought it was normal, which could explain went I cope pretty well with us being shit.
    Also strangely, I couldn't wait to come back.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

How long have you got?

Strangely, this was my first ever Charlton game, so I thought it was normal, which could explain went I cope pretty well with us being shit.
    Also strangely, I couldn't wait to come back.
    And of course Tony Towner never played like that in our colours. He was a complete turkey. Ronnie Moore was a pro, though. I quite liked him. (Well of course I helped pay for him, with that collection we made) . Best we could do in those days.

• Options
    I don't have a good memory of these kind of things. But two matches that stand out for me are the 5-1 defeat at Spurs in 2006 under Uncle Les, and our 0-2 home defeat against Peterborough earlier this year.

The Spurs match was embarrassing, and the Peterborough match was depressing. It was KR's first home match I think, and the atmosphere couldn't have been drabber. We offered nothing and it was painful to watch. I remember this match more than other similar matches (where we may have played even worse) because there was a woman in the crowd watching a film on an iPad instead of watching the game.
  • Options
    RE: the Leeds 6-1, didnt Curbishley say in his book that both Rufus and Fish our CBs that day were both unwell hence why Leeds strolled through us?
  • Options
    40 years ago today 7-0 defeat to Brighton, a day to remember I was celebrating my 18th Birthday....40 years later (more or less) we keep a clean sheet and Brighton concede 6.