Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the worst you have ever seen Charlton play?

Comments

• Options
    the 4-0 or 3-1 against millwall

4-1 against palace 2015, that was also quite bad.

ive been fortunate in that ive never been any matches that far away where weve been that badly.

not the worst but the most gutted i've ever been at a match was probably sheffield united away in the cup, we went up the day before and literally sheffield was charlton fans everywhere, the early kick off the next day on about 2 hours worth of sleep made it all the more like a proper away day, i think we was in a pub pint in hand by 10am on the sunday didnt even bother with breakfast, then we lost and think we all knew that was the end of our time with scp. after the game we was drinking in a pub near the station and thats where my preference of united over wednesday came from, as there fans seem like a decent bunch.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

JamesSeed said:

Limited experience.... but two home games in a row last season were dire.

Sep 27, 2016 Charlton 1-1 Oldham
    Oct 1, 2016 Charlton 0-1 Rochdale

To be honest, the draw was the worst of the two.

No wonder you've still got a full head of hair James :wink:
    I wish!
  • Options
    the 6-1 against leeds traumatised me as a kid
  • Options

Where to start?!

Pardew'd last game where we lost 5-2 (?) to Sheff Utd who were walking the ball into the net. Their fans felt sorry for us and weren't giving us the usual stick that you wpuld expect.

Hull 6 (Six) Charlton 0. Was 2-0 when i finished my concourse pint, decided to hit the pub instead if taking my seat, was 4 by the time we got to the pub.

Wycombe League Cup quarter final. First chance of a major cup semi-final since the 40s (?) easiest possible draw and too make matters worse we chanted for Pardew to become our new manager.

Northwidh Victoria. Got the club coach for this one with a bad hangover at the crack of dawn, they chanted football league you're having a laugh.

Well that's cheered me up!

Wasn't the big thing for the fans in that game that we had a common enemy in West Ham who in playing Tevez (and Mascherano?) were cheating their way to survival. Ultimately it didn't matter to us as we were bad enough to go down regardless of the Hammer's scam, but United were effectively robbed of their place in the Prem. Agree with you though, shocking performance.
  • Options
    League cup defeat at home to Wycombe! Was season we was relegated from prem so probably down to that! Or maybe the 4-0 home defeat to Brighton league one! Brighton went on to win the league and they was very good!
  • Options
    jams said:

Harry Kewell was mustard that day. Viduka also ripped us a new one with a hat trick. A young James Milner came on as sub.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Getting spanked 7-0 away to Burnley back in the early 80's . I think Killer got sent of as well

It was 7-1, and we scored to make it 2-1. Killer and Aizlewood sent off, but they did score four (I think) in the last ten minutes....

For me, it was 7-0 away at Brighton in early eighties, with Ronnie Moore our worst player and he was up front! At least they were a decent team.
    The 5-0 at Watford a couple of years ago was dire, but our goalie (Neil E) saved it from being ten.
    5-0 at home to Leicester back in the seventies was awful.
    3-0 loss at Bristol Rovers (at Eastville) with Lawrie Madden was terrible, and made me angry!
    Losing 5-0 at Norwich on Boxing Day hurt badly but, again, they were a decent team.
    We had some shocking displays in the cup - Walsall (twice), Wycombe and Northwich come to mind.
  • Options
    PL tankings like the Leeds one (didn't we also lose heavily at home to Spurs in the relegation season?) were painful, but easier to take, as you knew you were facing top quality players and big clubs with massive budgets...
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Watford away after Peeters got sacked, we lost 5 nil and I left after the 4th went in.

Colchester away, the legendary laundry basket game.

Gillingham away last season was shocking too, somehow we scraped a draw.

Nigels 4-1 was horrible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Is it my imagination or do we have a very poor Boxing Day record over the years?
    I think we do as I have rarely seen a decent performance come December 26th against whoever or wherever we are playing!
    Maybe someone can come up with some stats?
  • Options
    Stig said:

I can't believe it's possible to have a worse performance than in the 6-1 defeat to Leeds. Though my mate who goes to more games than me reckons that 7-0 at the Goldstone was worse. The scoreline suggests that he has a point.

Trust me...your mate's spot on...worst ive seen us in 45 years
  • Options
    Maybe not the worse, but it's up there.

Away to Stevenage the year we won the league. Game sticks out as we had a fantastic season.
  • Options
    It was on television... Of course.

It involved an elbow.

And it involved Northwich Victoria
  • Options
    Yes to the Leeds match not least for having the piss taken out of me by one of their more well known and now infamous supporters (the one with the fat cigar).

For me though the low point was Nov 2006 2-0 at least Reading. They were the new overachievers in the top flight. We were crap.

Normally a team responds to a new manager but there was nothing. Awful, or to as the caption to the game on YouTube says: A routine victory against Les Reed's abject Addicks.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    MrOneLung said:

Pretty much every game live on telly in the last 10 years.

Other than Northwich and one or two other games, I think we've been pretty decent on Sky in the last few years...
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    cafctom said:

Northwich Victoria was atrocious. Not only did we get beaten by a minnow, but I recall we could barely even get the ball off them - they should have beat us by 3 or 4 considering the chances they had.

It was actually 50/50 possession

Northwich

01 Aspden
    02 Aspin
    03 Brown
    04 Bailey
    05 Kerr yellow card
    06 Herring
    07 D'Laryea
    08 O'Connor yellow card
    09 Newby (Edwards 90+5)
    10 Allan (Winter 87)
    11 Elam (Riley 76 yellow card)

Substitutes

13 Spencer, 15 Vaughan, 12 Riley, 14 Winter, 17 Cadwallader, 16 Edwards, 18 Richards

Charlton

25 Randolph
    03 Youga
    18 S Sodje
    31 Omozusi
    35 Dailly
    04 Bailey
    06 Semedo yellow card (Wagstaff 85)
    07 Shelvey (Burton 68)
    08 Racon
    11 Sam
    15 McLeod (McKenzie 68)

Substitutes

32 Binks, 05 Llera, 12 Basey, 16 Wagstaff, 14 Spring, 09 McKenzie, 10 Burton

Ref: Webb
    Att: 2,153

NORTHWICH
    CHARLTON

Possession

Northwich 50%
    Charlton 50%

Attempts on target

Northwich 6
    Charlton 4

Attempts off target

Northwich 2
    Charlton 2

Corners

Northwich 3
    Charlton 4

Fouls

Northwich 13
    Charlton 11

I remember it being they lost the ball, we lost the ball (repeat ad-infinitum).

Randolph had a cracking game, but couldn't get down quick enough for one of the easier shots to deal with.

(Other than Waggy, Sam and McLeod (Shit) where was the pace going to come from in that side?)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

MrOneLung said:

Other than Northwich and one or two other games, I think we've been pretty decent on Sky in the last few years...
    Really Dazzler.......I find that surprising to be honest.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

MrOneLung said:

My memory could be wrong! I'd love someone to list out the games and results, but I remember us winning a few of them.

I certainly remember when we beat a decent Orient side 3-1 with goals from Solly and Waggy.
  • Options
    7.1 away to Luton.
    6.1 at home to Leeds.
    5 1 away to Blackpool in 72 even though I missed the match I'm counting it as I went: )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wycombe cup game takes some beating.

1-6 at home to Leeds

4-1 at Everton. @Clem_Snide and I left 5 mins in to the 2nd half.

The leeds game totally agree my sons birthday ........Sorry Tom
  • Options

7.1 away to Luton.
    6.1 at home to Leeds.
    5 1 away to Blackpool in 72 even though I missed the match I'm counting it as I went: )

Hairdressers instead?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

MrOneLung said:

My memory could be wrong! I'd love someone to list out the games and results, but I remember us winning a few of them.

I certainly remember when we beat a decent Orient side 3-1 with goals from Solly and Waggy.
    We also lost to Orient on the telly a year or so later (New Year's Eve, I think) under Powell, when Hamer was sent off about 2 minutes in.

Lost 3-0 at Swindon last year, lost 3-0 at home to Ipswich the year before, although also beat M'boro 2-0.

A "mixed record" at best.
  • Options
    That Sheffield United defeat before Pardew was sacked was my worst. I don't count the premiership games, we took a few spankings but in many ways we were punching above our weight.
  • Options
    Any one on here at the Villa V Charlton game November 1959?
    We lost 11-1......although we did lose our keeper Willie Duff and of course there were no subs in those days......I believe John Hewie or Johnny Sewell took the keepers jersey.
  • Options
    jams said:

I remember wanting to watch the build up to the grand national so went to the concourse about 10 minutes before half time. Had a couple of beers watching the race and returned to my seat around 10 minutes into the second half.
    I had missed 5 goals.
  • Options
    Stig said:

7.1 away to Luton.
    6.1 at home to Leeds.

Hairdressers instead?
    If only :)
  • Options
    Surprised no ones mentioned the Boxing Day massacre at West Ham 5-0, probably not the worse as Wycombe league cup game would top that for me or the Wigan away 3-0 defeat were the team got to go away in a very unpleasant way at the end when they trundled over to clap the crowd.
  • Options
    The Leeds 6-1 was bad, but the following week we played Birmingham and were even worse...think El Khalej made one of his unforgettable contributions that day.

Like people say, in the Prem you could be just off your game and get hammered due to who you were playing, although sadly when Uncle Les was in charge we were past hopeless.

There have been so many bad showings in recent years it's hard to pick one out, but someone mentioned the Oldham game last year, that was truly terrible.

• Options
    The Leeds 6-1 always haunts me, I think it was just a case of being outclassed by a very very good side rather than our worst performance though