Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the worst you have ever seen Charlton play?

Comments

• Options
    I can't believe it's possible to have a worse performance than in the 6-1 defeat to Leeds. Though my mate who goes to more games than me reckons that 7-0 at the Goldstone was worse. The scoreline suggests that he has a point.
  • Options

Bury away last season was woeful

That 4-0 at millwall was the most depressing game I have ever experienced

The hammering at spurs under Les Reed deserves a special mention, that was completely inept

You have a smiling list to me

I didn't think I'd ever feel lower as a fan leaving white Hart lane after that tonking

Then Millwall away happened
  • Options
    4-0 defeat at Barnsley in mid 1990s (the season they went up)
  • Options
    Colchester away last season is up there.
  • Options
    There was a 0-3 at home to Preston under Luzon - the players didn't try at all . That was my last game before last Saturday
  • Options
    edited August 2017

I wasn't at Dagenham a year or two back, so for me it was the League Cup quarter final at home to Wycombe in 2006 (Les Read's last game ?). I actually ran down to the front of the east stand where I was sitting & threw my shirt onto the pitch I was so disgusted at the team & couldn't bear wearing the same shirt as them. I've never felt so low & fed up with a Charlton team in my life. Chance of reaching a Cup semi-final, at home to a team 3 leagues lower. It wasn't the losing that hurt, it was the abject, dismal performance ALL the players put in.

Without a doubt, it's this game for me. I was sat in the West Upper and was both appalled and embarrassed by what I was watching.

• Options
    Just started a new teaching job in Brighton in 1983, when I went to the Goldstone to watch the Addicks. I left after the SEVENTH goal went in against us. Funny thing was, we were unbeaten at the start of that season, until the Brighton game. Of course, all my colleagues and the kids took great pleasure in my discomfort.

Two seasons later I attended the same ground and we stuck five past the Seagulls and eventually went up to the promised land. Moral of the story - always keep faith and we will rebound.

Another lousy performance - was it in the late sixties? Home to Leicester City and we lost five nil. No fan segregation in those days and the knot of Leicester fans on the East Terrace tried their best to annoy the rest of us. As far as I know, none of the East Midlanders ended up in the Thames for mocking our team's performance.
  • Options
    Lost 3-0 away to Wigan, players came over after the game to applaud the fans who quickly told them to fuck off.
  • Options
    The 0-6 away thrashing of Barnsley under Powell in the 2012/13 season is the worst Viewfinder has ever seen us play.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Lost 3-0 away to Wigan, players came over after the game to applaud the fans who quickly told them to fuck off.

Was that the one where when we went 3 down Curbs brought on Specter as a sub? If it was then yeah, that was a shocker, it still remains the only game I've left before the end, bar the home Boro game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a really tough question given our post-War history. The 7-1 drubbing at Kenilworth Road in the 70's immediately springs to mind. The 7-0 at Brighton, walloped at home by Rotherham (4-0?), the Wycombe debacle as others have rightly called out, but for me the nadir has to be the week we we were humiliated by Huddersfield, Colchester and Hull under that Sunday League bloke from Belgium. You know, the week where he and the Chief Exec left the Weston Homes Community Stadium with the kit-man and which lead a week later lead to Fraye's long overdue sacking. Duchatelet hung on for weeks thinking that numpty could turn things around!
  • Options
    Wycombe is my number 1. Followed by the Millwall 4-0... still haunted by it.

An outside shout is when I went to see us lose 3-0 at Barnsley the year we went down from the Championship, that was right up there.

Horrible windy pitch, no football player whatsoever - vivid memories of Darren Moore putting the ball into Row Z every time he got on it for Barnsley. That said, it was a very very comfortable win for them.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Sheffield United away in the cup
    Sheffield United home BNC's last game
    Wycombe home in the cup
    Watford away Luzon work permit game

There was a game a couple of seasons ago at home at The Valley where we lost and didn't record a single shot on goal. I can't remember the score or who we played but I remember standing up and bellowing "what the fuck is going on" when we had taken over 30 seconds to take a throw in because no-one could decide who was taking it
  • Options

I wasn't at Dagenham a year or two back, so for me it was the League Cup quarter final at home to Wycombe in 2006 (Les Read's last game ?). I actually ran down to the front of the east stand where I was sitting & threw my shirt onto the pitch I was so disgusted at the team & couldn't bear wearing the same shirt as them. I've never felt so low & fed up with a Charlton team in my life. Chance of reaching a Cup semi-final, at home to a team 3 leagues lower. It wasn't the losing that hurt, it was the abject, dismal performance ALL the players put in.

That was the first game I ever took my now wife to.
    When we got home, she threw up.
  • Options
    I was at both Burnley and Brighton when we conceded 7 goals but for sheer shitness performance wise, a pre selhurst era valley night game against Brighton sticks in my mind. I think we lost 0-3 or 0-4
    People were trying to leave so early the gates were still locked, so many decided to climb the fence to get out
  • Options
    masicat said:

Wembley v Blackburn Rovers. 29/3/87. Full Members Cup Final. Charlton support was woeful and the team was bloody awful. Disgrace.

We were saving ourselves for a potential play off against Leeds and the Anglo Italian cup run, the Watney cup final was a distraction
  • Options
    Blimey,recollecting all of these I am sure some of us will need counselling.
    If you could ever get a video of our 4-1 win over Spurs in the seventies you would not believe how a team could be so outplayed and win.
    You would need fingers and toes to count Spurs missed chances.
  • Options
    Went up to Tranmere on a Tuesday night in the mid 90s (about 95/96 I think) to watch us get spanked 4-0. Dire!!
  • Options
    Not perhaps in the same level of ineptitude, but the 2-0 defeat to MKD last season was a dreadful performance and no fitting tribute to PC Palmer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017

I missed the Fraeye laundry basket Huddersfield match, but had the dubious pleasure of seeing the grim Colchester and Hull defeats before and afterwards...

But saying that, the most depressed I've ever been after a Charlton match was the 5-0 Watford defeat the season before, that was truly awful.

I can't think of anything of the top of my head that matches that, though I'm sure there must have been some shockers in the Pardew/Parky relegation season (the 5-2 Sheffield United match for example)

I wasn't there but I thought the Fromage Freaye laundry basket match was In the cup at Colchester. I was however at Huddersfield where Henderson was sent out to face the music in the 5-0 drubbing that night when Reza got sent off within about 5 mins of coming on and seemed to get told his life history by Solly as he trudged past him to the stand.

Watford away was also up there as for the other 57 years it's all a bit of a blur really, one midweek home game in the 70s? v Rotherham lost 0-4? with Paul Went pushed up front to try and salvage something. The Wycombe Wanderers League cup Quarter Final? home defeat, also springs to mind. God I'm depressed now, nurse..........nurse........ where's my tablets!

Edit; I actually thought we'd played better in the Hull 6-0 hammering game on the Saturday after Huddersfield with Riga back on board, well at least for the first 10 mins until Boro's on loan Aussie Williams decided to self destruct and take the team with him :rage: .
  • Options
    Where to start?!

Pardew'd last game where we lost 5-2 (?) to Sheff Utd who were walking the ball into the net. Their fans felt sorry for us and weren't giving us the usual stick that you wpuld expect.

Hull 6 (Six) Charlton 0. Was 2-0 when i finished my concourse pint, decided to hit the pub instead if taking my seat, was 4 by the time we got to the pub.

Wycombe League Cup quarter final. First chance of a major cup semi-final since the 40s (?) easiest possible draw and too make matters worse we chanted for Pardew to become our new manager.

Northwidh Victoria. Got the club coach for this one with a bad hangover at the crack of dawn, they chanted football league you're having a laugh.

Well that's cheered me up!
  • Options
    Wycombe in the cup, we were abysmal. Also Huddersfield away a few years ago.
  • Options
    Palace at home in the League Cup under Curbs, them with Dowie in charge. We had our first team out, they had a reserve side out. There season was all about avoiding relegation, we were an established Premier League side with not much to play for except cup success.

We went 1-0 up after 5 minutes but stopped bothering after that. Lazy, disinterested performance with none of the characteristics that you're entitled to expect in a derby match. Only time I'd booed them off prior to the Roland era.

Wycombe at home was a strange night - very obviously a club in crisis, we played like we'd rather win than lose. Lucky to get away with only a 1-0 defeat.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Can't see too many mentioning the Dagengam? away defeat about 5 years ago, didn't our fans really let rip at the team and management as they left the field?
  • Options
    Limited experience.... but two home games in a row last season were dire.

Sep 27, 2016 Charlton 1-1 Oldham
    Oct 1, 2016 Charlton 0-1 Rochdale

To be honest, the draw was the worst of the two.

• Options

It's a really tough question given our post-War history. The 7-1 drubbing at Kenilworth Road in the 70's immediately springs to mind. The 7-0 at Brighton, walloped at home by Rotherham (4-0?), the Wycombe debacle as others have rightly called out, but for me the nadir has to be the week we we were humiliated by Huddersfield, Colchester and Hull under that Sunday League bloke from Belgium. You know, the week where he and the Chief Exec left the Weston Homes Community Stadium with the kit-man and which lead a week later lead to Fraye's long overdue sacking. Duchatelet hung on for weeks thinking that numpty could turn things around!

Gulf war? ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    RedChaser said:

I missed the Fraeye laundry basket Huddersfield match, but had the dubious pleasure of seeing the grim Colchester and Hull defeats before and afterwards...

But saying that, the most depressed I've ever been after a Charlton match was the 5-0 Watford defeat the season before, that was truly awful.

I can't think of anything of the top of my head that matches that, though I'm sure there must have been some shockers in the Pardew/Parky relegation season (the 5-2 Sheffield United match for example)

I wasn't there but I thought the Fromage Freaye laundry basket match was In the cup at Colchester. I was however at Huddersfield where Henderson was sent out to face the music in the 5-0 drubbing that night when Reza got sent of within about 5 mins of coming on and seemed to get told his life history by Solly as he trudged past him to the stand.

Watford away was also up there as for the other 57 years it's all a bit of a blur really, one midweek home game in the 70s? v Rotherham lost 0-4? with Paul Went pushed up front to try and salvage something. The Wycombe Wanderers League cup Quarter Final? home defeat, also springs to mind. God I'm depressed now, nurse..........nurse........ where's my tablets!

Edit; I actually thought we'd played better in the Hull 6-0 hammering game on the Saturday after Huddersfield with Riga back on board, well at least for the first 10 mins until Boro's on loan Aussie Williams decided to self destruct and take the team with him :rage: .
    You're right, Colchester was the laundry basket game, while Huddersfield was where he went missing completely and Henderson did the post match interview!

Hull didn't feel so bad as by that stage we were all expecting a drubbing, especially as they were a good side.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Limited experience.... but two home games in a row last season were dire.

Sep 27, 2016 Charlton 1-1 Oldham
    Oct 1, 2016 Charlton 0-1 Rochdale

To be honest, the draw was the worst of the two.

No wonder you've still got a full head of hair James :wink:
  • Options
    Northwich Victoria was atrocious. Not only did we get beaten by a minnow, but I recall we could barely even get the ball off them - they should have beat us by 3 or 4 considering the chances they had.

The 4-0 away at Millwall was truly depressing. Going into that game I just knew Miguel Llera was going to do provide an absolute shocker.