Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Exeter vs Charlton League Cup 1st Round: Post match views

123457»

Comments

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Both the first goals to make it 1-1 were bloody awful

Phillips fumbles another free kick... vs Sponge foot 2.0
    Except he doesn't fumble it. Maybe you didn't see Amos on Saturday, now they were fumbles.
    You're right he got nowhere near a free kick that was floated over the attacking players and was at waist height as it went past him.

He made some fantastic blocks and saves too, from both what I have read and seen in highlights BUT It was another goal conceded where he was between the sticks from a free kick. He is young and will hopefully learn from them, but you've got to stop trying to wrap up these youth players in cotton.

I am certain he'll be pissed at himself...
    And that is all it needs for you to dig him out. Every goal the team has conceded while he's playing has, according to you, been his fault when it clearly it isn't.

The free kick comes through a group of outfield players, none of whom attack it properly, leaving the keeper unsighted. The wall is meant to stop balls at "waist" height.
    I agree that you normally expect either an attacker to nod it in or a defender to clear, but let's be honest, his positioning was not great and he was slow to move.

I get we shouldn't dig our own players out, thats anyone not just the youngster, but just because he is a promising young keeper does not mean he was completely blameless for the goal.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Away to Wet Spam, I reckon we look better when viewed from 300 yards away

They cannot play at the London Stadium until early September.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Middlesbrough away, nailed on. Or Huddersfield.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Except he doesn't fumble it. Maybe you didn't see Amos on Saturday, now they were fumbles.
    You're right he got nowhere near a free kick that was floated over the attacking players and was at waist height as it went past him.

He made some fantastic blocks and saves too, from both what I have read and seen in highlights BUT It was another goal conceded where he was between the sticks from a free kick. He is young and will hopefully learn from them, but you've got to stop trying to wrap up these youth players in cotton.

And that is all it needs for you to dig him out. Every goal the team has conceded while he's playing has, according to you, been his fault when it clearly it isn't.

The free kick comes through a group of outfield players, none of whom attack it properly, leaving the keeper unsighted. The wall is meant to stop balls at "waist" height.
    The ball was played through the air, floated over the wall... It wasn't coming at him with any real pace and a good old fashioned fist would have dealt with it.

I am criticising him where I see he has made mistakes. I stood up for him when he pushed the ball out of goal, but into a strikers feet in one of the PSFs but if you want to believe that I think he's shite because of it you're very wrong.

I see his confidence is shot and he is making wrong decisions (IMO), but he's the pro, not me or you and I believe a few cup games with a clean sheet or two will sort him out.

Either that or he needs to copy something I read Ronaldo does...

You take the lessons of the mistakes you make that day no longer and the next morning you ignore all the bad parts of each game that you were involved in and remember all the good parts. How can you ever be lacking confidence when every game, even a loss can be a good personal performance in your mind...

(though Ron isn't a GK and his mistakes are rarely costly!)
    Is this about Phillips? I though he had rave reviews for the games yesterday? Hardly anyone's mentioned the goal we conceded, so I'd expect his confidence to be ok compared to Amos who looked pretty wobbly on Saturday I thought.
    I could well be wrong (I am wrong in some fans eyes) but the highlights are what I have to judge on and bar a couple of good saves, they showed a free kick that any other keeper in our league I am almost certain would have saved.
  • Options
    That'd be just our luck then!
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Away to Wet Spam, I reckon we look better when viewed from 300 yards away

West ham have been given an exemption to play away as the ground wont be converted in time
    Excellent - we play them at the Valley, have a chance of winning and they have to pay us some compensation - trebles all round
  • Options
    I think it is ok if KR thinks officials are his enemy - it won't make any difference to anything and it is part of his character. When you have a strong desire to win, they are people who can stop that happening - I think it does no harm to moan a bit, even if it doesn't do any good.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Roll on Plymouth away , a team who conceded 5 tonight .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40874298
  • Options
    Plymouth put out a mainly reserve side so all players will be rested from both sides.

Would like Brighton away. Nice ground to visit.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Plymouth put out a mainly reserve side so all players will be rested from both sides.

I was told by a (PA) season ticket holder today that they only have one side as they are short of players, but she might have been trying to wiggle out of a bet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am sure there is a joke involving (the lost) Rs somewhere.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

I was told by a (PA) season ticket holder today that they only have one side as they are short of players, but she might have been trying to wiggle out of a bet.
    Well according to their manager only 2 players kept their place, so 9 changes!
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

anyone but Palace or Millwall.

Really don't need the distraction of a derby.

2 years ago, after a couple of wins in the league and sitting 3rd in the table, everybody having a feeling of "hmm things maybe a bit better this season" only to get drawn away to Palarse in the League Cup. From that moment of that draw, everything went pear shaped.
    A derby, No Thanks
    And too much cocaine related trouble.
  • Options

Middlesbrough away, nailed on. Or Huddersfield.

Huddersfield or Sheffield Massives AWAY
  • Options
    Will be one of our checks trade opponents.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

They probably no more than the person I spoke to!
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

They probably no more than the person I spoke to!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40874298
  • Options

anyone but Palace or Millwall.

Really don't need the distraction of a derby.

I am the opposite. Live for them games. Especially midweek away ones. We didn't get relegated because we played Palace in September.
  • Options
    Phillips made some great saves there. I hope He pushes really hard for a place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Oggy Red said:

That Crofts tackle was definitely tired legs - as an ageing player, he was never going be quick enough to make up the ground and slid from too great a distance from the opponent.

From what I can make out replaying the incident in slo-mo, even if the Exeter player is playing for the foul, he does collect the ball a split second before Crofts clatters him from behind. Definitely a foul but dangerous play? IMO a lot of refs would have given only a yellow.

Tacking/fouling from behind was outlawed about 10 years ago. It's a foul whether you get the ball or not, if you take the player as well. Imo that was also a red card all day long and if KR is telling the players you can slide in 2 footed from behind, then we'll be getting loads of sending offs.
  • Options
    finally just seen the highlights.

how anyone in their right mind can say that wasn't a terrible tackle by Crofts has missed the last 10 to 20 years of football. you cant in front of the ref lunge in studs up 2 footed through the back of a player and expect to get away with it. I understand the players should know better especially crofts with his experience but its a worry that Karl doesn't see this as a problem and starts playing the victim in some conspiracy that he himself has cooked up. some have said he has done this protect his players, I actually think he believes every word he said.
  • Options
    It was one footed. He get's the ball. A booking at worse.
  • Options

finally just seen the highlights.

how anyone in their right mind can say that wasn't a terrible tackle by Crofts has missed the last 10 to 20 years of football. you cant in front of the ref lunge in studs up 2 footed through the back of a player and expect to get away with it. I understand the players should know better especially crofts with his experience but its a worry that Karl doesn't see this as a problem and starts playing the victim in some conspiracy that he himself has cooked up. some have said he has done this protect his players, I actually think he believes every word he said.

Agree with the above that it was one footed, but agree with you that his studs were showing and his foot was up over the ball. Whether or not he gets the ball does not matter if it is deemed a reckless challenge.

It's completely daft. It's in the center circle and there didn't seem to be a break or move on for Exeter. There is absolutely no reason to make that challenge. The best explanation I can have is that he's lost half a yard of pace and 2-3 years ago he would have gotten there first, but even then studs showing foot high it's still a bad challenge.

It wasn't as blatant as Novak's, and with another ref he might have gotten away with a yellow, but that needless, reckless challenge forces the referee(s) to make a decision and he did. No need. Daft from our second most experienced player on the pitch.
  • Options

HarryLime said:

I will be one of the 40,000 at wembley in march claiming i went to Exeter.

I thought Ed Sheeran was playing there in June though.
    Pretty sure that dragon got him in Game of Thrones mate
    Oh no! Now who will the internet blame for all of the wrongs in the world?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    JamesSeed said:

sam3110 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Wasn't waist height until it got to Phillips, and I'm sorry but his positioning is all wrong if he's unsighted for that free kick, or he needs contact lenses
    You see those kind of goals occasionally, in all leagues. It's not normally deemed to be the goalie's fault, more like a freak goal. You'd expect someone to get on a head on it.
    Very well put. Amos had a similar one on Saturday and got behind it but spilled it and was lucky to be let off. But that one was tough in that it bounced in front of him, and the goal on Tuesday was tough in that it went past loads of players with Phillips expecting someone to get something on it.

If you're a coach you can perhaps work with him on his footwork to try to get across quicker, and with Amos to get him to push it around the post instead of trying to catch it and spilling, but those kinds of inswingers aimed at the far post are very difficult for just this reason. I think both fall under the "can do better" category, but to call either a mistake is a bit harsh.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    SDAddick said:

JamesSeed said:

sam3110 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Wasn't waist height until it got to Phillips, and I'm sorry but his positioning is all wrong if he's unsighted for that free kick, or he needs contact lenses
    You see those kind of goals occasionally, in all leagues. It's not normally deemed to be the goalie's fault, more like a freak goal. You'd expect someone to get on a head on it.
    Very well put. Amos had a similar one on Saturday and got behind it but spilled it and was lucky to be let off. But that one was tough in that it bounced in front of him, and the goal on Tuesday was tough in that it went past loads of players with Phillips expecting someone to get something on it.

If you're a coach you can perhaps work with him on his footwork to try to get across quicker, and with Amos to get him to push it around the post instead of trying to catch it and spilling, but those kinds of inswingers aimed at the far post are very difficult for just this reason. I think both fall under the "can do better" category, but to call either a mistake is a bit harsh.
    Agreed. Just watched the extended highlights (with a stand-in commentator who didn't know any of our players names) and Phillips pulled off a couple of great saves, and one spectacular 'gather' from a cross. If we can't bring in another keeper, I'd start Phillips over Amos.

**KR saying he needs time and is a bit too young. That's possibly true. I'd still start him over Amos, but if we bring in a decent loanee, I'd be happy for Phillips to gain some experience elsewhere.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

JamesSeed said:

sam3110 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

They are awful for keepers as they are anticipating a touch, so the fact there isn't one catches them out. If there were no players in the area, the keeper would save everytime. If you are a keeper in that situation, do you treat it as a shot or a cross?