Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Exeter vs Charlton League Cup 1st Round: Post match views

Comments

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:

The fact that 2 people went back and un-lol'd my 2-1 bet is quite funny... But that should have been 3-1... Had about 20 corners at the end. I am all for wasting time, but not when Ive got money on it.

Robinson out.

I'm tempted to give you a quid for surviving the last 10 minutes of attack after attack without going mad. Tempted, no going to mind you.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

From the sounds of it, everyone up front put in quite the shift. Watt sounded much livelier even though he seemed to fade in the second half. RHC and KAG will be one heck of a strike partnership in the future. And with names like that a decent rap duo

let's not get too carried away. I don't think KAG is a goalscorer at all, but I do thing he could turn into a very good player. I think Robinson could really help him out.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Good win. Made 11 changes and played them off the park in the last 30 minutes. Sounds like we could have had 10. Credit must go to Robinson as he's had 22 players largely playing well over the last two games. The red cards are a concern, sounded absolutely daft from Crofts. I think you can ask the question about whether or not Robinson instill the right mental discipline in them but I'm not sure what you can do about a 33 year old midfield making a seemingly needless reckless challenge in the 84th minute.

Good run out for Reeves, got almost 60min under his belt.

This should be a real confidence boost for the youngsters in the team-Charles-Cook, Dijksteel, KAG, Phillips. Don't even count Hackett-Fairchild as the boy was born for the Champions League and we're just a temporary stop for him.

We all dream of a team of Reeco Hackett-Fairchilds, a team of Reeco Hackett-Fairchilds

I think Crofts has that in his game, I watched the two PSFs in Dublin and he could have been sent off in each of those for tackles from behind late-on in the game.
    Maybe old-age or fatigue play a part.
    My point is: I agree with you, this is more likely a Crofts issue than a team issue. (Novak likely trying too hard)
  • Options

Can i just say bristol won 5-0 today..
    Does this say something about our defense?

Wrong Bristol team.

Although the one we beat scored 4 so your point stands.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Belated thanks to @seth plum and others for the match thread.

Good win but we sorely need another striker. TWWW is not that man.

The red card was disappointing. We just have to get our discipline under control. Apart from anything else, our squad is too thin to cope well with too many suspensions.

Our squad isn't especially thin, but due to injury and suspensions a bit short of experienced back up
  • Options

Rossman92 said:

From the sounds of it, everyone up front put in quite the shift. Watt sounded much livelier even though he seemed to fade in the second half. RHC and KAG will be one heck of a strike partnership in the future. And with names like that a decent rap duo

let's not get too carried away. I don't think KAG is a goalscorer at all, but I do thing he could turn into a very good player. I think Robinson could really help him out.
    He's proved that is for the U21's. Hasn't translated to the first team yet. Missed a couple easy ones today for sure
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

The red card was disappointing. We just have to get our discipline under control. Apart from anything else, our squad is too thin to cope well with too many suspensions.

We made 11 changes from Saturday and still fielded a very solid team. I don't know how many more senior players we can get. One in one out for Watt perhaps, goalkeeper in Phillips on loan, but I think anything else risks stunting the growth of the good crop of young players who seem just about ready to make the step up (Dijksteel, Charles-Cook, KAG, RHF, Barnes).
    True, but solid isn't good enough if we want to drive for promotion. Think Holmes, Fosu and Marshall all competing for the wing positions. We need that level of competition for places everywhere, so that we are (almost) equally strong if and when we get the inevitable injuries and suspensions.

But, not intending to detract from a very good win tonight in which many of the "reserves" have acquitted themselves well.
  • Options

Another good result.

Pleased to see Clarke score. I think he is being overlooked with the arrival of Reeves but he was one of the few to have played in both games and he is doing a good job. Unsung hero.

The new kid Jackson looks decent.

Charles-Cook took his chance it seems.

And of course all of you who laughed at Reeco, said he'd never make it, said he didn't offer anything, well watch him go now.

Loan ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Can i just say bristol won 5-0 today..
    Does this say something about our defense?

Bristol City did indeed win 5-0. Rovers won 4-1, but that was against Cambridge United
  • Options

Bristol Rovers put four past Cambridge tonight.

Does that say something about our defence?
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Good win. Made 11 changes and played them off the park in the last 30 minutes. Sounds like we could have had 10. Credit must go to Robinson as he's had 22 players largely playing well over the last two games. The red cards are a concern, sounded absolutely daft from Crofts. I think you can ask the question about whether or not Robinson instill the right mental discipline in them but I'm not sure what you can do about a 33 year old midfield making a seemingly needless reckless challenge in the 84th minute.

Good run out for Reeves, got almost 60min under his belt.

This should be a real confidence boost for the youngsters in the team-Charles-Cook, Dijksteel, KAG, Phillips. Don't even count Hackett-Fairchild as the boy was born for the Champions League and we're just a temporary stop for him.

We all dream of a team of Reeco Hackett-Fairchilds, a team of Reeco Hackett-Fairchilds

I think Crofts has that in his game, I watched the two PSFs in Dublin and he could have been sent off in each of those for tackles from behind late-on in the game.
    Maybe old-age or fatigue play a part.
    My point is: I agree with you, this is more likely a Crofts issue than a team issue. (Novak likely trying too hard)
    I was thinking the same regarding age/tiredness.

I've heard the case be made that managers can get their players too pumped up before the game which can lead to rash challenges early on. At a stretch maybe that's a factor with Novak but I tend toward he made a bad touch and tried too hard to make up for it with a bad striker's challenge.

The next few games will show if this is just an anomaly or if this is the beginning of a trend. I hope, and suspect, it's the former.
  • Options
    Another red. Are we a dirty team?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Davo55 said:

SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

We made 11 changes from Saturday and still fielded a very solid team. I don't know how many more senior players we can get. One in one out for Watt perhaps, goalkeeper in Phillips on loan, but I think anything else risks stunting the growth of the good crop of young players who seem just about ready to make the step up (Dijksteel, Charles-Cook, KAG, RHF, Barnes).
    True, but solid isn't good enough if we want to drive for promotion. Think Holmes, Fosu and Marshall all competing for the wing positions. We need that level of competition for places everywhere, so that we are (almost) equally strong if and when we get the inevitable injuries and suspensions.

But, not intending to detract from a very good win tonight in which many of the "reserves" have acquitted themselves well.
    Fair point, I just think it's really, really tough to attract players who are good enough to compete for first team spots without being able to guarantee them first team football and/or paying ridiculous transfer fees/wages. If you take Saturday's XI and replace Magennis with Novak and Reeves with Clarke (who has been good thus far to be fair), it's really hard to improve on that 11 at this level.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be good if the opportunity came along, it's just that this year, unlike in previous years, we're in the market for real quality, not just numbers.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Rossman92 said:

He's proved that is for the U21's. Hasn't translated to the first team yet. Missed a couple easy ones today for sure
    It's just my opinion on what I have seen so far. I don't think he will make it as a goalscorer but if he proves me wrong then great. I am also not knocking him as a player, I think Marshall being injured could be good for him as he might get a chance on the wing.
  • Options

Rossman92 said:

There's a very good wide forward inside KAG waiting to be unleashed. Played off the wing tonight and sounded a real threat. Has goals in him but sounds to me like he has been snatching at things a bit whenever he gets into the first team. Trying a bit too hard at times, perhaps.
    What I saw in pre-season made me feel this way as well. The question is his end product. I still think that if he's able to nick a goal or two he might start to really find form, but I worry about him going backward if he doesn't.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

The fact that 2 people went back and un-lol'd my 2-1 bet is quite funny... But that should have been 3-1... Had about 20 corners at the end. I am all for wasting time, but not when Ive got money on it.

Robinson out.

Not me mate. My LOL can stand for posterity,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I bet KR is feeling bittersweet about this one. Again a win, but again a sending off. Although others are going to get bit of game time, it unsettles the team and consistency is the key to a run up the table. Very happy with another win, wherever against whoever.

I bet Karl is as pleased as punch. He wants players to be hungry.....he wants players to be on their toes. The sending off isn't a massive problem....Crofts will be back.....in the meantime, the other midfielders need to stake their claim.

Well done Charlton, well done Karl, and back room staff.
  • Options

Rossman92 said:

Rossman92 said:

It's just my opinion on what I have seen so far. I don't think he will make it as a goalscorer but if he proves me wrong then great. I am also not knocking him as a player, I think Marshall being injured could be good for him as he might get a chance on the wing.
    Not trying to start an argument or anything. Just sharing my opinion as well :) Glad he's finally getting his shot
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Rossman92 said:

Rossman92 said:

Not trying to start an argument or anything. Just sharing my opinion as well :) Glad he's finally getting his shot
    yeah nah we are both entitled to our opinions. I haven't seen enough of Hackett-Fairchild but don't see goals in Kag, but he is obviously young enough to prove me wrong. Sounds like he is really improving as a general player though.

I still hope we sign another striker, I think we need it for promotion this season. As I said, I think KAG's chances will come from the left-wing as back up to Holmes. That is where Robinson seems to see him as he certainly isn't a striker in the 4231.
  • Options

Another good result.

Pleased to see Clarke score. I think he is being overlooked with the arrival of Reeves but he was one of the few to have played in both games and he is doing a good job. Unsung hero.

The new kid Jackson looks decent.

Charles-Cook took his chance it seems.

And of course all of you who laughed at Reeco, said he'd never make it, said he didn't offer anything, well watch him go now.

Loan ?

Why loan him to a Prem team when he should be starting for us
    Do you really think he could start for us?

Would be a bold move to play him if Mag is not fit Saturday.
  • Options

Rossman92 said:

There's a very good wide forward inside KAG waiting to be unleashed. Played off the wing tonight and sounded a real threat. Has goals in him but sounds to me like he has been snatching at things a bit whenever he gets into the first team. Trying a bit too hard at times, perhaps.
    Yep I agree, not sure he has the goals in him but if he carries on playing well that's all that matters. In a 4231, you do need to chip in and I would have liked to see him score tonight as it sounds like he had 2/3 chances. I agree that he might be trying a bit hard, its very possible he might score and then grow in confidence.

I actually think he could benefit from a loan in League 2 if he wants to be a striker. I cant see him playing many games for us (injuries permitting) and certainly not up top on his own.

I would prefer he went League 2 in a 442, scored 10-15 goals and then we could re-evaluate. I don't think this will happen with Marshalls injury as he is needed as cover for Fosu and Holmes.
  • Options

Great result. If for no other reason than it gives the squad players a competitive game, and a chance to push for first team spot.

I stuck £1 on at 14-1 just before we equalised. Should have gambled bigger.