Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robinson: "Fans have their Charlton back."

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Sorry to spoil your fun nappa, but the crowd on Saturday and Tuesday were singing Robbos name. There is more of a connection than may appear from just reading this site.

I wasnt
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Redrobo said:

Sorry to spoil your fun nappa, but the crowd on Saturday and Tuesday were singing Robbos name. There is more of a connection than may appear from just reading this site.

I wasnt
    "We are all individuals".
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

For the record, I agree @Redrobo ....however, you could have been more cryptic with your user name Karl.
  • Options
    @NapaAddick I enjoy your contributions and you views gets me thinking as they are from a completely different background to 99% of your fellow contributors, but you are talking nonsense with this one pal.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Prior to 7 matches ago, no one would have disagreed with my statement. Now, many have jumped on KR's bandwagon. I don't move so easily. I suspect when reality sets in, many of your will come back to Earth. Let's see. I am willing to admit if we go back to continous 15,000 attendance and top 6, that I am wrong. But it is just as likely we average 8,000 and finish mid-table and KR will be dropped and forgotten within 12 months. In which case I will be proven correct.
  • Options

@NapaAddick I enjoy your contributions and you views gets me thinking as they are from a completely different background to 99% of your fellow contributors, but you are talking nonsense with this one pal.

Thanks. And I actually hope you wind up correct.

• Options
    edited August 2017

Prior to 7 matches ago, no one would have disagreed with my statement. Now, many have jumped on KR's bandwagon. I don't move so easily. I suspect when reality sets in, many of your will come back to Earth. Let's see. I am willing to admit if we go back to continous 15,000 attendance and top 6, that I am wrong. But it is just as likely we average 8,000 and finish mid-table and KR will be dropped and forgotten within 12 months. In which case I will be proven correct.

Napa, you are wrong so stop digging.

It's a complete nonsense to say 7 matches ago everyone would have agreed with you, because they wouldn't, although yes more people may have agreed with you.

I may not have been happy with the results, but I have never agreed with hurling insults at the Charlton manager or ridiculous claims that he is "culturally out of touch from our extended community".

You didn't reply to my post to explain how you, in the USA, are more culturally aware of what is happening in SE London than our manager is. So please enlighten us as to how many times you've been to The Valley in recent years and explain all this nonsense about KR will never be an Addick.

Was Alex Ferguson a Manc ? Is Slaven Bilic a cockney ? Aresene Wenger a Gooner ? You're talking nonsense.

Even if we have a poor season and end up half way, I personally see no reason to insult our manager or come out with all this bull about him not understanding Charlton fans as well as someone in the USA, who talks about teams getting demoted and such like.

• Options

It's a complete nonsense to say 7 matches ago everyone would have agreed with you, because they wouldn't, although yes more people may have agreed with you.

I may not have been happy with the results, but I have never agreed with hurling insults at the Charlton manager or ridiculous claims that he is "culturally out of touch from our extended community".

You didn't reply to my post to explain how you, in the USA, are more culturally aware of what is happening in SE London than our manager is. So please enlighten us as to how many times you've been to The Valley in recent years and explain all this nonsense about KR will never be an Addick.

Was Alex Ferguson a Manc ? Is Slaven Bilic a cockney ? Your talking nonsense.

And you couldn't be more Geordie than Jimmy Seed, but I'm fairly sure he was accepted as an Addick.
    KR seems to care about the club, and he's got us playing decent football. Whether or not that'll lead to a promotion, only time will tell. But you might as well enjoy the ride @NapaAddick while there's a half decent one available (finally).
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Redrobo said:

I wasnt

I'm not!
  • Options

Was Alex Ferguson a Manc ? Is Slaven Bilic a cockney ? Aresene Wenger a Gooner ? You're talking nonsense.

Even if we have a poor season and end up half way, I personally see no reason to insult our manager or come out with all this bull about him not understanding Charlton fans as well as someone in the USA, who talks about teams getting demoted and such like.

Hold on a minute covered end people have been calling Robinson a Scouse this and that ,gobinson for months and months.
    I might of missed a post on this by you before but why are we pulling people up on it now and not then.
    For the record Robinson does my head , can't stand Scousers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've always liked the cheeky chappy Robinson and his enthusiasm and the way he rubs people up the wrong way , now more people are keen on him , me not so cos I'm a cuntrarian.....
    Wibble wibble wibble
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Hold on a minute covered end people have been calling Robinson a Scouse this and that ,gobinson for months and months.
    I might of missed a post on this by you before but why are we pulling people up on it now and not then.
    The Ipswich 6-1 friendly was a turning point.
  • Options
    I heard Robinson sleeps with a 1992 Charlton annual under his pillow and had a poster of Paul Mortimer on his wall.

Apparently he can also recount, in order, every goal from the 97/98 season highlights VHS with his eyes closed and has tattoos of Keith Peacock and Steve Gritt on his inner thighs.
  • Options
    I preferred Fraye. His record was better anyway.
  • Options
    All this after the alleged "Charlton are a basket case of a club" quote. Which admittedly is correct.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    clb74 said:

This is the sort of crass stupid comment that makes my piss boil. Have you met all of the people who come from Liverpool? So you right off people who are Scousers. What makes you hate Scousers per se? Do you believe the ridiculous stereotype? For the record some of the friendliest kindest people I have met have been Scousers. But do I believe that all people who come from Liverpool are friendly and kind? Of course not. There are good and bad in all communities.
    Rant over.

• Options
    dickplumb said:

clb74 said:

This is the sort of crass stupid comment that makes my piss boil. Have you met all of the people who come from Liverpool? So you right off people who are Scousers. What makes you hate Scousers per se? Do you believe the ridiculous stereotype? For the record some of the friendliest kindest people I have met have been Scousers. But do I believe that all people who come from Liverpool are friendly and kind? Of course not. There are good and bad in all communities.
    Rant over.

I don't think I have met all of them dick but the ones I have nearly all I don't get on with
  • Options

clb74 said:

Redrobo said:

I wasnt
    I'm not!

Glad someone got it!
  • Options
    There is

There is no bigger critic of the executive of this club than me. I have no interest in them personally. I am interested in their performance, actions and decisions in so far as they impact my club.

You may or may not like Mr Robinson, Ms Meire or M Duchatelet. Whether I do or do not is largely irrelevant. My interest in Mr Robinson is in the end results and performances of the team that represents my club.

When you go to work do you like everybody you work with? Do you really enjoy working for this or that boss? In 40yrs I probably only enjoyed working for 3 bosses and one of those was me!

Personally Mr Robinson is not for me. So what? I worked with dozens of people who socially I would probably cross the street to avoid, and they would probably do same if they saw me but as long as they met their targets they were fine by me and if they exceeded them I would be the first congratulate them for their efforts.

When you played team sport did you get on with every other player in the side? Once they pulled on the shirt, providing they put in their shift and made their contribution to the team and shared my values of the team ethic did I worry about whether I shared any other of their personal attributes or values? No we just shared a common interest and experience. Yes if we did share other interests and values we would become friends. If not so be it.

Did you enjoy the win and the team performance against Ipswich? The win and the team performance against Bristol Rovers? The win and the team performance against Exeter?

Has not the prime drive of all those against the executive management of the club been to support "the team not the regime"? Has there not been a specific focus on not conflating the two? Unless there has been some judicious editing has not Mr Robinson, unwittingly or not, made the same clear reference to the team?

Mr Robinson, no matter his style, no matter his personality, is at present hitting his targets. He is fine with me. If he exceeds those targets I will be the first to congratulate him ........ and those who support him.

If he falls short of those targets then I will challenge his performance, his style and his values and make a judgement whether he was suitably empowered by others to deliver to those targets. At which point their actions and decisions will become the subject of greater scrutiny.

I am pleased and encouraged by the team/ squad performances seen so far though it is perhaps telling some seem so desperate to believe all has changed after a couple of orgasmic weekends against Ipswich and Bristol. For me it is akin to the spotty callow youth getting a smile from the girl whom he has worshipped from afar for years. It is just a smile. It may mean something - it may not. Time will tell.

This thread contains some very heartfelt comment about what the club means to individual contributors. I have no problem with any of that. I share the majority of those values however I am not sure they are germane to the latest comments by Mr Robinson.

You may love him. You may hate him but at the moment he is pulling on my team shirt and delivering to team. If the "noise" offends you just turn down the sound and watch the pictures.

There is a long road to travel over the coming months. There will be mistakes, there will be stumbles, there will be lots of decisions to be made. How the football management and the executive manage those issues through their actions and their decisions and the results they achieve will tell us all we need to know about their competence and their values. "Noises off" are largely irrelevant.

Had Mr Robinson referred to "the club" in his comments I would have criticised them not only as being presumptuous and premature but for disrespecting, distracting and deflecting hearts and minds from the squad achievements over recent weeks. He did not. In footballing terms his comments remain premature but no more so than anyone of a thousand salespersons waxing lyrical about the sales they have in the pipeline.

So perhaps just for a few days just focus on, enjoy and show a little respect for the results and performances achieved to this point. In face of the challenges to be met they are creditable, encouraging and worthy of our appreciation.

That in recent times is an achievement in itself.

Well said and in my opinion bang on.
  • Options

I am willing to believe that KR did not mean his quote the way it came off. That he meant CAFC was back to being a winning club.

But that, in a way, shows just how out of touch CULTURALLY he is from our extended community. No one with even a distant understanding of what has been happening would make that gaffe. Which means either he is tone deaf to fans, out of touch with the world outside his immediate view, or a lackey to management. Or all three.

I congratulate him on how much better we are playing. But I will never actually like him. Because he simply is not an Addick. Never was. Never will be.

I am not willing to settle BETWEEN winning and having a manager who understands the fans. I want both. And I don't think its unreasonable.

Not sure you can always rely on the manager to be 'An Addick'. If Powell and Curbishley go to a match at weekends it will be to see Spurs and West Ham. It's just a job for most. The way they love the club normally depends on the amount of success they have. Those on here slagging KR have probably been slagging off everyone and everything since Powell left. Most of us just want to go and see a good game, and see Charlton win. I'm behind the manager and the team. My two oldest sons who didn't buy tickets this season are now reconsidering. It isn't just a couple of wins, it's a new dawn. If KR can develop a winning team under the Belgians then he will be a legend, nobody else could do it. COYR.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

They also sang Pardews name, even weeks before he was brought in to be manager.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

When the club ran free coaches to a game because a supporters trust was running coaches, but can't run coaches at a loss to cup game shows the regard the currant regime holds its loyal supporters. More interested in saving face/putting one up the Trust than protecting its assets those in Exeter last night. What happens on the pitch is just a part of what needs to be addressed, they just don't get it.

Which is probably why he spoke about the team, not the club.

He's the manager, not CEO.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I was pulling people up on it then. I have no problem with criticism but there's no need for personal abuse.

As an example, I think it's ridiculous that KR is saying Novak and Crofts should not have been sent off and refs have it in for us. He's totally wrong imo and if he's telling the players it's ok to lunge in two footed we'll get lots more sent off.

But us fans can be critical without calling him Gobinson, Gobshite, Scouse git etc etc and then making up things that he said. There's plenty of things he says that are ridiculous, but pull him up on them and do so in a measured way.

Sorry if my views upset people because they feel we should be abusing our manager, but that's the way I feel.
  • Options

I heard Robinson sleeps with a 1992 Charlton annual under his pillow and had a poster of Paul Mortimer on his wall.

Apparently he can also recount, in order, every goal from the 97/98 season highlights VHS with his eyes closed and has tattoos of Keith Peacock and Steve Gritt on his inner thighs.

I sent him a Jimmy Seed Story when he joined, for what it's worth. I wish someone would ask him if he's read it. He has plenty of time on his hands in that hotel! ;-)
  • Options
    The history of football and its development is so interesting.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

clb74 said:

I was pulling people up on it then. I have no problem with criticism but there's no need for personal abuse.

As an example, I think it's ridiculous that KR is saying Novak and Crofts should not have been sent off and refs have it in for us. He's totally wrong imo and if he's telling the players it's ok to lunge in two footed we'll get lots more sent off.

But us fans can be critical without calling him Gobinson, Gobshite, Scouse git etc etc and then making up things that he said. There's plenty of things he says that are ridiculous, but pull him up on them and do so in a measured way.

Sorry if my views upset people because they feel we should be abusing our manager, but that's the way I feel.
    So long as we achieve back to back promotion, I couldn't care less if we're the dirtiest f***ers in the football league.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

clb74 said:

So long as we achieve back to back promotion, I couldn't care less if we're the dirtiest f***ers in the football league.
    perhaps he is just trying to install a more ruthless streak. Nice ol' Charlton do seem to get roughed up a lot even at home.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

clb74 said:

Rant over.

I make you right there Dick. I have always found the scousers a very sociable bunch.
  • Options
    Whenever I meet a Scouser there is generally a slight edge to the way they come across to me as a Londoner.....is it a chip on their shoulder or the exact opposite and it's a superiority thing?
    I'm not sure........ but neither I nor they seem totally relaxed.
  • Options
    If you take his comments as being about this game and this game only, fair enough. If we have a game where the players don't put in a shift, don't look like they care and we lose, will he say we have lost our Charlton?

Doubt it, and that's where he leaves himself wide open, but it's PR, it's a big part of the modern manager's job and what he's paid for.

Can't see why people get so steamed up, unless it's what you don't want to hear.

The manager that used to get me steamed up was Pardew when i would throw stuff at the screen because i didn't want to hear his deluded, vacuous excuses and telling me how well "his" lads had done in the process of them getting stuffed 3-0. In comparison I find KR entertaining.