Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robinson: "Fans have their Charlton back."

Comments

• Options

KR states the bleeding obvious that the team is getting its act together and gets grief from a few people who seem to think the real charlton is a team that had a few good seasons in the PL. Well it's not, the real charlton is the one I've been supporting for the last 50 years where for most of the time we've been regularly moving through a cycle of being shit, mostly average and briefly fantastic. Don't come to The Valley if you want to boycott because of Roland but don't try and undermine the team in any way with the constant sniping if you do support charlton.

That phrase is nothing to do with Premier league status and you know it.
    Powell used it and the crowd sang it when becoming League 1 Champions. Robinson has apparently said it after thrashing one team 1-0 in League 1.
    Strangely enough, a lot of posters on here have also supported Charlton for several decades and are fully aware of how shit, average and fantastic we've been.
    However, the club has never been used as part of a weird (and failed) experiment before. Until that ends, the old Charlton has not returned.
    And who has been that wonderful owner in all the years you've supported charlton ? Obviously Murray immediately springs to mind because that's the era when we achieved the most in and off the field but there are some on here, possibly the same ones trying to undermine the team now, who seem to take exception to him now. Or was it the two when we had the one sensational season under SCP ? Or Friar who moved us to Selhurst. Or Glikstein ?

KR states the bleeding obvious that the team is getting its act together and gets grief from a few people who seem to think the real charlton is a team that had a few good seasons in the PL. Well it's not, the real charlton is the one I've been supporting for the last 50 years where for most of the time we've been regularly moving through a cycle of being shit, mostly average and briefly fantastic. Don't come to The Valley if you want to boycott because of Roland but don't try and undermine the team in any way with the constant sniping if you do support charlton.

Powell used it and the crowd sang it when becoming League 1 Champions. Robinson has apparently said it after thrashing one team 1-0 in League 1.
    Strangely enough, a lot of posters on here have also supported Charlton for several decades and are fully aware of how shit, average and fantastic we've been.
    However, the club has never been used as part of a weird (and failed) experiment before. Until that ends, the old Charlton has not returned.
    And who has been that wonderful owner in all the years you've supported charlton ? Obviously Murray immediately springs to mind because that's the era when we achieved the most in and off the field but there are some on here, possibly the same ones trying to undermine the team now, who seem to take exception to him now. Or was it the two when we had the one sensational season under SCP ? Or Friar who moved us to Selhurst. Or Glikstein ?
    Great post.I am sick and tired at the constant sniping at KR by some on here at any given opportunity.He is our Manager and deserves our support and not to receive so much vile for making a comment that yet again the usual suspects on here will use to attack him.Quite frankly it's boring -FFS give it a rest.COYR
    Does it really matter to Robinson what we as supporters think of him, is his confidence that fragile? I doubt it. The only opinions that should concern him are those of his employers, his coaching staff and his players. He has or has chosen the character of the stereotypical Scouser, that wouldn’t be out of place in a Carla Lane comedy.
    Just pick teams that win games, Robinson.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    There is still time for this window to go either way, but if it turns out to be the first decent one under this mob and then it is followed up in January with another decent one, we will start thinking about the possibility things may have changed. What may be a positive is that Roland's idea was crazy, but he appointed an arse licking yes woman, who also had no tact and importantly, no experience as a CEO or English football. Everything she said publically was clearly to please him and nearly everything she said drove a wedge between the club and its fans.

It may just be possible that him giving up any interest on the network and his plan and just telling her to get on with it, and her possibly learning parts of her job and the fact that there is a point where you have to trust those that know more than you - she has certainly realised that shutting her mouth is sensible at this point-may be a good sign. It is reliant on KR being a good manager, but that is certainly possible too.

It has always been the ultimate truth in all of this that actions speak louder than words. Less words and more positive actions and we may see the club start to move forwards again. Maybe Meire has or will learn some humility and find ways to build some of the bridges she has stupidly burned. I am open to the idea, though I am also sceptical. Maybe when that old git gets interested again, possibly because we start doing better, she will tell him not to inetrfere! I can but dream!
  • Options

Of course he was referring to the team - some people will take any opportunity to have a nonsensical rant .

You could have atleast quoted my non sensical rant.
    There are too many to quote mate .( and I don't mean just from you ).
    I think mine made sense actually. Also I don't take every opportunity to rant. I do make the odd comment but very rarely rant.
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

Great post.I am sick and tired at the constant sniping at KR by some on here at any given opportunity.He is our Manager and deserves our support and not to receive so much vile for making a comment that yet again the usual suspects on here will use to attack him.Quite frankly it's boring -FFS give it a rest.COYR
    Does it really matter to Robinson what we as supporters think of him, is his confidence that fragile? I doubt it. The only opinions that should concern him are those of his employers, his coaching staff and his players. He has or has chosen the character of the stereotypical Scouser, that wouldn’t be out of place in a Carla Lane comedy.
    Just pick teams that win games, Robinson.

I think it would be fair to add that constant sniping at the manager happens on every football forum in the country.
  • Options
    Has anyone even seen this quote?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    MrLargo said:

Difficult for me to be objective as I can't stand the bloke and frequently have nightmares about being trapped in a lift with him. He loves a kneejerk comment, this is the same bloke who said he couldn't fault the players for effort after we lost at home to Bury, and then said that they weren't fit to wear the shirt when we lost to Shrewsbury 3 days later. On that basis, I presume that if we lose tonight, his first comment after the match will be "I'm afraid we've lost are Charlton again".

Have to say, I'm surprised how easily some of you are won over. Our overall record under him is pretty dismal, even if I didn't loathe him he'd have to do a lot more than narrrowly win one game against average opposition to convince me that this is a bright new era. Putting Karl aside, we've had positive starts in two of the seasons since the Belgians have arrived - one ended in relegation, the other ended in a mid-season meltdown, both were the consequence of having a pretty good starting eleven and no depth whatsoever behind it.

I guess it's been so rubbish for so long that it's natural for some to get carried away by the slightest hint of positivity.

• Options
    Bubble said:

Has anyone even seen this quote?

“We had just over 12,000 fans rocking at The Valley. The fans have got their team back and a team to cheer for the rest of the season and we’ll be giving our all week in, week out.”

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5986118688721/robinson-praises-11th-man-valley-crowd

• Options
    This PR company we have need to be giving him some advice. Along the lines of 'shut up, win games'.

Invoice enclosed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair play to him, it is certainly different. We may have jumped the gun on this one - but a good discussion all the same.
  • Options

Addickted said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

It also doesn't make a girlfriend.
    Oh.......l don't know about that.
  • Options
    I think we all need to...

• Options
    Robinson is basically an over-excited puppy/child that's had too much sugar or something. He spoke before he thought and quite rightly, some people should be saying "now now Karl, that's a bit far".

But at the same time, calling him a moron, or misquoting entirely, is:

1) hyperbolic;
    2) inaccurate (which is a REAL bugbear because we veer dangerously close toward Daily Mail territory of fake/misleading info at that point);
    3) bitter; and
    4) pushing an agenda (that I tbh happen to agree with).

If we are going to challenge the board and regime *fairly*, then leave stupid shit like this; wait for the results (or maybe lack thereof?); or properly stupid quotes from RD/KM; and THEN react accordingly.

We can't be having a go at everything all the time.

Equally, for me there's no real credit in promotion - that takes us back to where we were, and even with mounds more debt.

There's work to do and I'm hoping they get on with it.
  • Options

ffs we beat bristol city, were in a league below what we was in before this cnut got here ( roland ) i dont mind the fella ( karl ) all be it a a typical scouser - quite irritating ( this is a joke) , December time if were top of the league a few points clear playing as team, then we will have an acceptable charlton back, but not our charlton.

When? Have I missed something?
  • Options
    I've been going since just before we left the Valley. I was always there at Selhurst in front of 4000 fans, at Upton Park, there when we returned to the Valley and still going. There have been many highs and lows on my Charlton journey. I do believe we are unique as a club (maybe all fans think the same of their respective clubs - maybe that's what makes football such an incredible sport).

For me the most important aspect of "Charlton" is the 11 blokes on the pitch. I don't expect to see brilliance - just good honest hard working players that look like they want to play for my team. In that respect we are going in the right direction. There can't be a single fan that went last weekend and came away thinking "meh - same shit different year". It was poles apart from the last few season's drivel. That performance gives us belief that we might actually have what it takes to achieve something this season so in that respect - maybe we are starting to get our Charlton back.

So what is it that makes Charlton what it is/was?

A fabulous youth setup - we have always brought youngsters through and that shows no sign of abating. In fact the quality of players coming through is improving. So we are selling them - we always have done in the past. It's nothing new.
    Players that want to wear the shirt and pull together - we appear to have got that at the moment -too early to say for certain but looking promising.
    Fans who stand together through adversity - Saturday was a step in the right direction. Best atmosphere for ages and a performance that matched.
    A passionate manager that fans warm to - we loved (from my lifetime) Lennie, Curbs, Powell, Riga to an extent - aside from that there have been a number that haven't cut the mustard Peeters, Luzon, Pards, Dowie, Slade. With the exception of Powell none of those managers though have been particularly great with the press and fans in equal measure. Powell's relationship with the club is special so Robinson is unlikely to ever ready those dizzying heights but in terms of media engagement and talking up our players KR is actually very good indeed. Some fans think he talks too much but nobody could argue he is passionate about his job. He is proud of his job and he wants to succeed at it and that's really endearing to me, and many others. I suspect he'll always be a marmite character but that's life.

Ownership and the senior management team is still the most divisive issue but that has often been the case in the past. If anything the instability at that level is very "Charlton". Nobody knows what the future holds in this regard and there isn't a huge amount we can do to influence that so no point in going in to it in too much detail. Whoever comes in is going to have a rocky ride because it's unlikely a mysterious benefactor will emerge who happens to be a fan, have squillions to chuck at the club and who doesn't have a ground-breaking agenda.

Whilst he hasn't been here long there are numerous signs KR is improving certain aspects (on the pitch) and the club is still doing some things very well (the yoof) so maybe we are slowly starting to get something that resembles "our Charlton."

Time will tell I suppose but i'm keeping everything crossed!

LLL&BH
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Difficult for me to be objective as I can't stand the bloke and frequently have nightmares about being trapped in a lift with him. He loves a kneejerk comment, this is the same bloke who said he couldn't fault the players for effort after we lost at home to Bury, and then said that they weren't fit to wear the shirt when we lost to Shrewsbury 3 days later. On that basis, I presume that if we lose tonight, his first comment after the match will be "I'm afraid we've lost are Charlton again".

Have to say, I'm surprised how easily some of you are won over. Our overall record under him is pretty dismal, even if I didn't loathe him he'd have to do a lot more than narrrowly win one game against average opposition to convince me that this is a bright new era. Putting Karl aside, we've had positive starts in two of the seasons since the Belgians have arrived - one ended in relegation, the other ended in a mid-season meltdown, both were the consequence of having a pretty good starting eleven and no depth whatsoever behind it.

I guess it's been so rubbish for so long that it's natural for some to get carried away by the slightest hint of positivity.

Agreed, he had a terrible start with the squad he'd inherited. The players weren't suitable for the style of football he wanted to play.
    But there were obvious improvements to the football we were playing towards the end of the season, results improved, and now he has the sort of players he (and we) wanted, let's see how we go eh?
  • Options
    I would simply observe that if I were him, I would not have made this comment this week. The transfer window does not close until Aug 31st.

But that is his style, for better or for worse. I hope that he will feel confident to repeat those words on September 1.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Under Curbishley we found simething we never had before, that led us to a point of genuinely being the fourth best side in the country at one all too short point. That showed what we are capable of when you have everything right and all pulling together. That is the Charlton I want back.That is the Charlton Chrissy Powell wanted back. It did happen, and we have to believe it can happen again.

WHat that Charlton achieved over a sustained period meant far more than anything Man City, Arsenal or Man Utd can ever achieve. We acheived it together and whilst we are all very different as fans, we were totally together. I want that Charlton back, but it wasn't built in a day. But you do have to start building to get there!
  • Options
    Curbs treated us as the 12th man - he would praise and critique us after games and there was nothing like a Valley that was buzzing. It is electric when you achieve that in the same way it is depressing when it is over half empty and you don't.
  • Options
    The OP misquoted KR and said he was offended by the statement and was looking for others who would be offended too. He got a result.
  • Options

@MuttleyCAFC post is illustrative of the chasm between Powell and Robinson. Powell knew everything that we had gone through as Addicks because he had been there with us on our rise and seen the fall. He'd earned the right to tell us we were heading back in the right direction and understood implicitly what 'our' Charlton means to us.

Robinson's nowhere near in a position to tell us what we should be feeling about the club at the moment. Maybe it was just an off the cuff, silly remark as he's wont to making all too regularly but he needs to learn to shut up, keep out of the dispute with RD, win matches and more than anything let his football do the talking.

Powell also said those words on the promtimf of the fans. If I remember correctly.
    That's a new one on me. Please explain.
    Don't even know what happened there. I wasn't even drinking. I meant prompting
  • Options

they ( us ) have got their team ( charlton ) back.

translates to fans have their charlton back.

he probably didn't mean it in that way, but its a case as is often with Karl of him getting far too excited and running away with himself. a league is won over a season not 1 game, IF we are to do anything home form needs to come 1st bit shit for those of us that have to watch us away but swings and roundabouts.

That's an interpretation, no a translation.