Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Robinson: "Fans have their Charlton back."

Comments

• @MuttleyCAFC post is illustrative of the chasm between Powell and Robinson. Powell knew everything that we had gone through as Addicks because he had been there with us on our rise and seen the fall. He'd earned the right to tell us we were heading back in the right direction and understood implicitly what 'our' Charlton means to us.

Robinson's nowhere near in a position to tell us what we should be feeling about the club at the moment. Maybe it was just an off the cuff, silly remark as he's wont to making all too regularly but he needs to learn to shut up, keep out of the dispute with RD, win matches and more than anything let his football do the talking.

Powell also said those words on the promtimf of the fans. If I remember correctly.
    That's a new one on me. Please explain.
  • What a scouse prick
  • edited August 2017
    Scouse p**ck? Not sure many at VFR agreed with that pithy little summation.
  • He uses the wrong words sometimes - but I think he was trying to say that we now have players playing for the shirt. And he may well be right if this is what he meant, but it is just a step in the right direction at this point and we still have the owner, the CEO and we are still in League One!
  • He has got some conkers this lad I'll give him that.
  • Definitely seems to be putting a decent football team together but he don't half talk some bollocks.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope he reads this.
  • Shut up Robinson, no we don't.
  • The thing was, it felt like we were getting our Charlton back at the time. We know we didn't in the end but we did feel like it. If KR manages to get us feeling similar, he can use the phrase - but he won't have to as we will be singing it. I think it is fair to say that having a team that plays for the shirt is a clear step in the right direction, but nobody is close to singing we have our Charlton back yet. It is harder for KR as he does have KM sitting in the directors box but win the league and who knows! First game of the season is a bit early though - possibly much more than a bit!

The thing is MuttleyCAFC there are some of us our here that don't feel like we've lost our Charlton in the 1st place
  • I take whatever Karl says with a big pinch of salt, I like the way he tried to 'fire' the fans up 10 minutes from time to see us over the finishing line, he just needs to keep his gob shut at times and think about what he's saying, but I guess that's what we've got at this level of management.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have always said that the problem is not those that are happy and not protesting, and those that care enough to protest - but those fans we are just losing. You have to be completely selfish just to look at it from your perspective. Some of you may be happy with us playing in front of dwindling crowds in a lifeless souless Valley - but the problem is that too many don't care enough anymore. If you want to blame the protestors for that, you don't have a grasp of reality! We are trying to do something about it for the sake of our club! Not sit on our backsides tut tutting or complaining that our selfish enjoyment is ruined when somebody throws a pig on the pitch!

Cmon MuttleyCAFC there's not many out there blaming the protestors.
    I'm not happy that we've probably lost hundreds if not into thousands of fans that will probably not set foot in the valley again.
    Those protesting can protest however they want.

• edited August 2017
    Well, when we get them or others back in a rocking Valley, or at least start moving in the right direction on that score, we might be going towards getting our Charlton back! Not your undertsanding of it, but what the majority of fans understand by it! Which is the point of this thread really. I can't think of anything more irrelevant than people thinking everything is fine - but they are entitled to think that way - but some of us feel we have to fight for teh future of our club!
  • To be fair to Robinson I think I know what he meant. He may not be 'Charlton' like JJ, Powell, Brown and many many more, but he knows what a shower of the brown stuff we've had the past 3+ years both on and off the pitch. I feel he's saying we have a squad who will wear the badge with pride and give it 100% and their best every time, and principally with 95% of the players I believe him.

That said it's not to say the squad is good enough in either depth or quality for a promotion challenge, it's not to say that of the many problems over the last few years both on and off the pitch aren't still here because many are.

But principally he can only do what he can do within the realms of what he has or is allowed to have, he can be annoying at times, but at least he shows some passion and that's rubbing off on the players.

Still think we'll finish 7-12th though....... :wink:
  • He uses the wrong words sometimes - but I think he was trying to say that we now have players playing for the shirt. And he may well be right if this is what he meant, but it is just a step in the right direction at this point and we still have the owner, the CEO and we are still in League One!

This for me. He's an enthusiastic bloke who likes to talk. His interviews are quite hard to watch sometimes because he's quite Brentesque, but if you saw that bit toward the end of the game where he let rip a shout that carried quite far, you can tell he's desperate for this to work

He's always going to say stuff that just doesn't come across to tactful maybe, and he probably got carried away with the win in the circumstances. I think he realises one win won't cut it and deep down he knows we still need to be repaired as a club

Let's hope he can continue the positive start
  • Addickted said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

It also doesn't make a girlfriend.
  • I still believe as a club we are turning a corner this summer barring a disasterous last few weeks of this transfer window, I feel it's been an excellent window to date and the performance on Saturday which was a must-win if we want promotion was a proper-Charlton performance not seen since Chris Powell's team.

In fact the performance it specifically reminded me of was the time we beat Yeovil 3-2 at home on that Tuesday night about 3 years ago when even the steward was time wasting in that must-win match.

But the key to my post is that we are still turning a corner and while I agree with @SDAddick in that I can see the point KR was trying to make but it's still too soon to say we have our Charlton back and as others have said, the fans will tell KR when we have our Charlton back.