Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Poll of the week: Tony Watt, keep or move on?

Comments

• Needs a good sports psychologist to sort his head out and get the best of out of him. No sign that he has any such awareness that he needs it or is prepared to go for that.

Won't be unhappy when he eventually moves on.
  • Frustrates the hell out of me but can't help, in a hopelessly deluded way, that he will do something amazing in his next game. Still waiting. ..
  • I voted keep because we are short on players in that area and Watts low confidence is something that happens more often to forwards, so this kind of thing is not an isolated incident and it can be changed. There's still a player in there.

Remember BWP suddenly losing it?

Tony Watt has had enough chances and time on the pitch.

It might just be his luck that we are now wafer thin in that area, which will give him one last chance.
  • If tony watt comes good he will be sold , thats the future under roland
  • Frustrates the hell out of me but can't help, in a hopelessly deluded way, that he will do something amazing in his next game. Still waiting. ..

He gets a massive opportunity on Tuesday...
  • Tony Watt move?
  • I still think he can come good so a keeper
  • edited August 2017
    The majority want him gone so far but circa 60/40 is not as overwhelming as I thought it might be.

The suspension of Novak, injury to Magennis and concerns that a new addition might be no better, has no doubt affected the vote.
  • It's a pity that the best song we have for a player is the one for someone who is currently our worst player. You'd think that hearing it ring out as loud as it did on Saturday would gee him up to give his very best, but no....
  • edited August 2017
    Move on - not because he's not good enough ( he is ) but because he's become the latest in a very long line of players that a pathetic section of Charlton supporters love to slag off .
  • Sponsored links:

• One of the biggest waste of talent I have ever seen.
  • Good poll Cobbles.

Used to be a big fan of his but he doesn't care anymore. Ship him out.
  • I think Watt is a great opportunity for KR to show what a good manager he is. KR should see it as a challenge as we all know that Watt is well above this level at his best!
  • Move on - not because he's not good enough ( he is ) but because he's become the latest in a very long line of players that a pathetic section of Charlton supporters love to slag off .

I agree he was I'm not seeing why he is now. He's clearly declined as a player (for whatever reason) compared to when we first signed him.

It's not the fans fault he's been poor. He didn't do well for Hearts last season either.
  • On his day, and if he fancies it ,and the winds blowing in the right direction the fella is a world beater, unfortunately those days are few and far between, get him off the wage bill if his hearts not in it.
  • Ole ole ole ole Tony Watt Watt Watt.

Yeah, get rid.
    RedChaser said:

The majority want him gone so far but circa 60/40 is not as overwhelming as I thought it might be

TBF, 40% of Charlton fans that know what they are talking about and only 60% that don't have a clue is probably not a bad split for a football club.

RedChaser said:

The majority want him gone so far but circa 60/40 is not as overwhelming as I thought it might be

TBF, 40% of Charlton fans that know what they are talking about and only 60% that don't have a clue is probably not a bad split for a football club.
    Doesn't sound like KR wants to keep him though. Talk of signing a striker and letting Watt go of it's right for him and the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

RedChaser said:

Doesn't sound like KR wants to keep him though. Talk of signing a striker and letting Watt go of it's right for him and the club.
    Then that's a decision for KR to take though playing him on Saturday in those circumstances tends to suggest that KR thinks he has a role to play in this squad. And everybody is assuming that TW is the one we need a replacement or back up for whereas there was one that was out on Saturday and another that only lasted 6 minutes.
  • I'd be happy if we replaced both of them but it's probably not going to happen.

No one is assuming anything, the poll is about Watt. Would no doubt look a bit different if it was a choice between replacing either Watt or Novak.
  • Watt cannot play in a 4231, we need a striker to compete with Magennis and keep Novak as 3rd choice.

I have said all along I would be content with either Watt/Novak as 3rd choice, just not them two as the two competitors with Magennis. Despite what he did Saturday, Novak is more effective than Watt in this formation so I would get rid of Watt and we need a good replacement.
  • Hopefully he has seen this and will get his derriere in gear tonight.
  • Could be a good game for him - some cars need a push start!
  • Keep on reading Watt is well above his level here.

Well when is he actually going to show it? Been given too many chances now. Starting to run out of patience with his attitude when he's on the pitch. If you don't want to be here then fine sort a move. But whilst you're here...have some respect for the supporters who were cheering your name before you came on the pitch trying to give you a boost.

• did we ever do one of these about morgan fox, as he was another one that wasn't deemed good enough, fair enough we get rid of tony? how much would we get for him and what would we get in instead?

if they get rid of him and dont replace then it pains me to even defend the club but then everyone would in uproar about how thin we are.
  • did we ever do one of these about morgan fox, as he was another one that wasn't deemed good enough, fair enough we get rid of tony? how much would we get for him and what would we get in instead?

if they get rid of him and dont replace then it pains me to even defend the club but then everyone would in uproar about how thin we are.

He's still undoubtedly on big money for a league one club. On that basis just like Sarr he should be important to the team but he's not and doesn't show any sign that he either can be or wants to be.

I seriously doubt we could shift him for a fee. Getting shot of his wages might allow Robinson to bring in someone who will add value to the team.

It's such a shame because we all know that TW has so much ability.

• edited August 2017

did we ever do one of these about morgan fox, as he was another one that wasn't deemed good enough, fair enough we get rid of tony? how much would we get for him and what would we get in instead?

He's still undoubtedly on big money for a league one club. On that basis just like Sarr he should be important to the team but he's not and doesn't show any sign that he either can be or wants to be.

I seriously doubt we could shift him for a fee. Getting shot of his wages might allow Robinson to bring in someone who will add value to the team.

It's such a shame because we all know that TW has so much ability.

And this is what it comes down to. Whether you are a TW fan or you hate him, the fact of the matter is, he doesn't fit into Robinson's chosen formation. Three (and, considering the flexibility shown in Da Silva's career so far, you could say four) of the signings made so far, are to fit into the 4231 formation.

There is no evidence that Watt can play as a lone striker. I am convinced that he does not have either the physical or mental attributes to do so. So, do you drop him back into the attacking 3? Again, there is no evidence that he has the passing ability to play as a number 10. (The woeful pass to KAG on Saturday certainly implies that.) Nor do I think he has the discipline to cover the other positions, if it is working to its fluid best. I think most Charlton fans would be up in arms if Holmes or Fosu were dropped for TW. And, Da Silva has played in that position for the Chelsea youth team, and we have Marshall to come back.

So, forget any perceived lack of effort, or supposed disruption caused by his attitude, get his wages off the budget, and get in another striker (whether a loan, or a signing, I don't care) who can play as that lone striker, to support the manager's chosen formation.

In the end, better for Charlton, and probably better for TW...