Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the best you have ever seen Charlton play?

Comments

• Yeah it was a weird one we certainly didn't look like we'd be relegated the following season! :lol: It never rains, it pours when a CAFC fan!
  • Uboat said:

I think all my favourites have been covered, so I will chuck in Ipswich away in the 1998 playoff semi. The way we went at them from the off. The quite staggering Sasa Ilic save where he leapt and held a piledriver from Eric Gates that nearly every keeper would have palmed away for a corner. You saw the Ipswich players droop, realising that all the hype about this keeper from nowhere had a solid foundation. And Mills got sent off, but we just gathered ourselves and held on without a huge scare. That was the game where I started to really Believe - that something special was happening to my club that would eclipse anything I had known for the previous 30- odd years.

Eric Gates?
    They did will to make the play offs with a 43 year old leading the line.
    :-)

Dammit, smallish decent midfielder with long hair. Anyone? So who was Eric Gates?

• Dazzler21 said:

Yeah it was a weird one we certainly didn't look like we'd be relegated the following season! :lol: It never rains, it pours when a CAFC fan!

Although if you look at the starting 11, it's pretty average
  • edited August 2017

Uboat said:

I think all my favourites have been covered, so I will chuck in Ipswich away in the 1998 playoff semi. The way we went at them from the off. The quite staggering Sasa Ilic save where he leapt and held a piledriver from Eric Gates that nearly every keeper would have palmed away for a corner. You saw the Ipswich players droop, realising that all the hype about this keeper from nowhere had a solid foundation. And Mills got sent off, but we just gathered ourselves and held on without a huge scare. That was the game where I started to really Believe - that something special was happening to my club that would eclipse anything I had known for the previous 30- odd years.

Eric Gates?

Dammit, smallish decent midfielder with long hair. Anyone? So who was Eric Gates?

Part of their early 80s wonder team. Calm down, girls. He's married.

• Ah yeah. I guess when I get home I will look up the Valiant 500 to resolve whom I was confusing him with.
  • A 2-0 win at home to Aston Villa in 1960. This followed our 11-1 defeat away to Villa in 1959. Extremely emotional day and a true 'Cup Final' where we regained some pride

I remember it. A big, nervous crowd at first relieved then excited by a dominant Addicks performance. A very good day.
    Not sure how many were there. I watched it from what is now the away end. I was 9 and went with a couple of mates. A bloke I had never met before sat me on one of the barriers so I could see properly

• For outplaying opposition of top quality the Chelsea 4-2 stands out. For what seemed like merciless total dominance the Kinsella finger wagging game against Manchester City is a memory.
    I remember something like a 3-1 defeat at Leicester where we kind of outplayed them, Colin Walsh was unplayable that day, the Leicester keeper was brilliant.
  • seth plum said:

For outplaying opposition of top quality the Chelsea 4-2 stands out. For what seemed like merciless total dominance the Kinsella finger wagging game against Manchester City is a memory.
    I remember something like a 3-1 defeat at Leicester where we kind of outplayed them, Colin Walsh was unplayable that day, the Leicester keeper was brilliant.

I think the Leicester game was 2 1 Seth. Played at Sellhurst, it was Alex Dyer's debut. He had a cracking game but didn't score. Balmer got an own goal I believe.
  • Uboat said:

Uboat said:

Eric Gates?

Part of their early 80s wonder team. Calm down, girls. He's married.

Ipswich were a cracking team back then
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

For outplaying opposition of top quality the Chelsea 4-2 stands out. For what seemed like merciless total dominance the Kinsella finger wagging game against Manchester City is a memory.

I think the Leicester game was 2 1 Seth. Played at Sellhurst, it was Alex Dyer's debut. He had a cracking game but didn't score. Balmer got an own goal I believe.
    Not that one. It was at Filbert street and I am pretty sure Garry Nelson played, and Carlo I think.

• @Man_About_Town - from memory, bolstered by H&A .... I too was on the South Terrace, and it was indeed pretty full. I was 12. The crowd was 28629, 7000 more than at Villa Park for the massacre. Many people seemed to have come along confidently expecting to witness another disaster. Villa finished the season as Div 2 champions. Two first-half goals settled home nerves, and Charlton played with great determination and pride to restore something of their reputation. At VP the damage was done by Gerry Hitchens (5) and Peter McParland (2). Hitchens was missing from the return match, but feared winger "Flyer" McParland was toothless on the day. Of the 22 who played at VP no fewer than 17 played in the return match, so the Addicks performed quite a feat.
  • Obviously the Chelsea 4 - 2 game but I remember a game at Filbert street , we won 3 - 0 in 1978. We were superb that day.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    That game made me dream of a great partnership between Varney and Gray the next season.

Instead we got relegated!!
  • Anyone else remember away at West Brom in the Prem when the trio of Kish, Smertin & Murphy tore them apart in the first half? Only time I remember Charlton fans singing "It's just like watching Brazil" and not in an ironic way. Think we were 2-0 up.

Second half a lot closer as they sussed how to play us which turned out to be the story of that season.

Thanks. I was trawling through the thread in disbelief that no one had mentioned it. Superb football in that first half. We won our first 5 away games that season. Sunderland, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, WBA and Pompey.
  • Anyone else remember away at West Brom in the Prem when the trio of Kish, Smertin & Murphy tore them apart in the first half? Only time I remember Charlton fans singing "It's just like watching Brazil" and not in an ironic way. Think we were 2-0 up.

Second half a lot closer as they sussed how to play us which turned out to be the story of that season.

I was there too that day, we were awesome in the first half.

Wasn't it just after this game that Murphy didn't get called into the England squad, his head went down and never played that well for us again?
  • edited August 2017
    Before the start of that season we played Feyenoord in a friendly and completely played them off the park. We played some great stuff early on that year, then we lost to the Spuds - we were 2-0 up and they got one back off of Ledley Kings knee and we proceeded to come unstuck. After that Curbs decided we were too cavalier, although we lost about nine on the trot when we tightened things up as I recall:-)
  • Probably the 1-1 v. Arsenal back in 2003. I was taken by an Arsenal fan who had a spare ticket, so sat in the JS stand.

I accidentally leapt to my feet when DiCanio dinked in the penalty, and had to pretend I was angry about the penalty decision.

And I was the only one who didn't leap about when Henri equalised.

Both sides had won their three previous games.

Parker ran the show. It was one of the best individual performances I've seen. My mate knew that Arsenal were lucky to get the point they required to take them to the top of the league.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3206860.stm
  • Home win v Chelsea 4-2. So good. Ecstatic!
  • First half Sunderland away Murphy and Smertin 2005.
    Huddersfield away New Years 99
  • Sponsored links:

• In very different ways three more. At Stamford Bridge for the battle. At St Andrew's just never going to lose and at Oldham with 9 men 2012
  • The 2-2 draw against Swindon on Boxing Day with 9 men.

The effort put in by every single player was amazing.
  • The 2-2 draw against Swindon on Boxing Day with 9 men.

The effort put in by every single player was amazing.

Parkinsons finest bit of management whilst at Charlton.
  • In very different ways three more. At Stamford Bridge for the battle. At St Andrew's just never going to lose and at Oldham with 9 men 2012

All good shouts in terms of us against the rest of the world, was at the first and last of those.

Had a black tie do to attend for the Leeds play off but my Dad and a mate were my proxy as I followed on the radio in my jacket via an earpiece down my sleeve. The shout of 'Yesssss get in!' when Shirtliff scored his second and the winner in extra time didn't go down too well with guest speaker as you can imagine :blush:
  • edited August 2017
    Lots of favourites already mentioned but I would add beating Man City 4-0. (2000?) City had some bloke called George Weah playing for them and, of course, Weaver in goal.
    And then possibly my favourite in 1995, winning 1-5 at Portman Road with a Carl Leaburn hat-trick no less. Made doubly brilliant by the prospect of spending the rest of the weekend at the mother-in-law's; she was an Ipswich supporter.

Edited to add: back-to-back home games 1977, Brighton 4-3 followed by Spurs 4-1.
  • Bar the first and last 10 minutes or so the Cardiff 5-4 a few years back. One of the best atmospheres too.
  • 5-0 v Southampton in first home game back in the Premier League
  • The 1-0 defeat to Norwich always sticks in my mind. We were absolutely brilliant that day, but Forster was incredible
  • 7-6 Huddersfield.
  • cafc4life said:

We beat Preston 5-2 the season we went up under Powell. Remember we tore them apart before conceding 2 in injury time. Thought we looked class that day

I might be misremembering this, but weren't we 5-2 up going into injury time before they scored 2 to make it 5-4? I seem to remember their goalkeeper turning to the covered end after their 4th and taking the piss because we must've been getting nervous!