Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the best you have ever seen Charlton play?

Comments

• Options
    A 2-0 win at home to Aston Villa in 1960. This followed our 11-1 defeat away to Villa in 1959. Extremely emotional day and a true 'Cup Final' where we regained some pride
  • Options

A 2-0 win at home to Aston Villa in 1960. This followed our 11-1 defeat away to Villa in 1959. Extremely emotional day and a true 'Cup Final' where we regained some pride

I remember it. A big, nervous crowd at first relieved then excited by a dominant Addicks performance. A very good day.
  • Options
    Norwich 1 Charlton 3

top flight 1988

Morts or Leaburn to the commentator , 2 of our 3 goals below if link works

https://youtu.be/V2rtxQJ9wLk
  • Options
    The two games against Wimbledon in the League Cup.

First leg beat them 5-4 at Selhurst then 3-3 in the second leg after extra time.

Crazy games, lead changed several times, great goals and drama.
  • Options
    4-2 against Chelsea.

5-0 against Southampton in our first game in the premiership.

3-3 against united.
  • Options

Chelsea 4-2 at the Valley, one of Scot Parker's last games.
    He was brilliant that day, Chelsea signed him soon after.
    Matt Holland scored with a great header, JJ and Jason Euell,
    sadly I can't remember who scored the other goal.
    We were at the peak of our time in the Premiership that season!
    All downhill from that season onwards.

I think this and a 4-0 victory at Man City when we absolutely murdered them from beginning to end.
  • Options

I think this and a 4-0 victory at Man City when we absolutely murdered them from beginning to end.
    You stole my thunder there; we'd both been promoted and we played stunning football that day. Lisbie ran rings around them and Jensen was imperious in midfield
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Another good performance was the 4 0 win against Norwich in the play off season. I doive up with a mate and we'd put money on Mendonca first goal scorer. Went for a curry in after the game with the winnings and Robert Fleck sat at the table behind us (unbeknown to my mate).

A guy at the next table next to us noticed the programme, asked the score and whether we supported Norwich. My mate jokingly said "Norwich? Fuck off. I though Charlton were shit but Norwich were fucking shit". Fleck looked up, looked like he was going to say something but thought better of it, put his head down and carried on with his meal".
  • Options
    The league and fa cup games against forest in 97/98, we got battered 5-2 at their ground and then gave them two hidings in as many months at the valley, (think one was 4-1 and the other 4-2) we were so good and we realised we was onto something
  • Options

We lost 11-1, bloody hell!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone else remember away at West Brom in the Prem when the trio of Kish, Smertin & Murphy tore them apart in the first half? Only time I remember Charlton fans singing "It's just like watching Brazil" and not in an ironic way. Think we were 2-0 up.

Second half a lot closer as they sussed how to play us which turned out to be the story of that season.
  • Options
    4-3 win at Villa Park in the game we had to win to have a chance to stay up. Petterson sent off and Steve Brown went in goal. Danny Mills screamer to win the game with 10 men. Truly amazing performance and spirit. Too little too late though that season.
  • Options

I think all my favourites have been covered, so I will chuck in Ipswich away in the 1998 playoff semi. The way we went at them from the off. The quite staggering Sasa Ilic save where he leapt and held a piledriver from Eric Gates that nearly every keeper would have palmed away for a corner. You saw the Ipswich players droop, realising that all the hype about this keeper from nowhere had a solid foundation. And Mills got sent off, but we just gathered ourselves and held on without a huge scare. That was the game where I started to really Believe - that something special was happening to my club that would eclipse anything I had known for the previous 30- odd years.

Eric Gates?
    They did will to make the play offs with a 43 year old leading the line.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

4-3 win at Villa Park in the game we had to win to have a chance to stay up. Petterson sent off and Steve Brown went in goal. Danny Mills screamer to win the game with 10 men. Truly amazing performance and spirit. Too little too late though that season.

I was thinking of that game as well. I think the Mills winner took about four deflections on its way to goal - it was like a pin-ball machine!!
  • Options
    edited August 2017

4-0 at home to West Ham. We battered them first half. JFH and Zheng both hit the post as well.

Also, I felt that was the game that made Curbs decide "fuck it, I'm going to throw Tevez into the team and we can worry about being sued later."

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

4-0 at home to West Ham. We battered them first half. JFH and Zheng both hit the post as well.

Also, I felt that was the game that made Curbs decide "fuck it, I'm going to throw Tevez into the team and we can worry about being sued later."

Weird game. Even though we won 4-0 Tevez was probably the best player on the pitch.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Couple of less obvious suggestions:

The 4-2 victory a year or 2 later was a great performance but we rode our luck a bit that day.

Yeah, I think we actually played a fair bit better (attacking-wise) in the 5-3 loss. The 4-2 we rode our luck, counter-attacked well and closed down their players fantastically - not vintage attacking football to watch.
  • Options

Erm, all downhill from that moment onwards to be more precise.
    Di-Canio chopping John Terry(?) inside and out and giving JJ a tap-in for the fourth was magical stuff.
  • Options
    Going back a bit, we beat West Ham 3-0 at Selhurst and it was massively one-sided.

Also, same era; when we beat Man City 5-0 at Selhurst. Totally destroyed them.

But more recently the West Ham and Chelsea games at The Valley that others have mentioned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gillingham away last season, we were playing so well we purposely missed one of the two pens we were given to keep the score respectable.
  • Options
    Great thread.

The West Ham 4-0 was the first one that came to mind.

Also the Lisbie Liverpool game. I also seem to remember an evening game against Liverpool at home where we won and it seemed to be pretty comfortable. I think it was just after they won the champions league and their GK (Dudek?) was sent off after giving us a pen.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/16rpwjS3oIg

Found 25 mins of highlights from the Chelsea match (with Romanian commentary or summit')
  • Options
    Lots of great memories.
    I will add beating Everton 3-2 at selhurst with Jim Melrose getting a hatrick.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Couple of less obvious suggestions:

5-3 defeat to Arsenal at Highbury in 2000. Arsenal at the height of their powers but we more than matched them for long spells and our attacking was fast, incisive and exhilarating, the sort of stuff that Arsenal were renound for at that time. Kevin Lisbie was particularly impressive, not just a speed merchant, lots of flair and creativity. Think he got injured shortly afterwards and the momentum was lost.

The 4-2 victory a year or 2 later was a great performance but we rode our luck a bit that day.

Also, 2-1 victory over Reading in league cup 1st round in the League 1 title season. Wasn't expecting much against a side from the division above, but our second string side tore them to pieces. Ruben Bover had a good game, I think Danny Green nearly scored direct from a corner (deliberately), and Simon Francis (possibly his last game for us) looked like David Beckham, couldn't believe it was the same player who'd been the boo boys favourite the previous year. As with the previous example, lots of exhilarating attacking football, not at all what you expect from Charlton in a cup game.

That was indeed an excellent performance.
  • Options
    Possibly the 4-2 v Chelsea just before they bought Parker and ruined our season.

Given what was riding on it and how you wouldn't have put 10p on most of them scoring from the spot, the 7-6 penalty shoot-out Wembley.
  • Options

Erm, all downhill from that moment onwards to be more precise.
    Di-Canio chopping John Terry(?) inside and out and giving JJ a tap-in for the fourth was magical stuff.
    JJ was the third goal, Euell got the fourth.

But enjoyable watching Terry being turned inside out.
  • Options
    All I will say, is I've only seen Charlton score 6 at The Valley once...

Also, a mention for the 4-0 at The Valley against Wolves in the Premier League. One of Scott Parker's last games. We played them off the park...
  • Options
    Probably Powell's last game as a player.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7368614.stm
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    That was a great, great day. Some relations from Canada were over, never been to a football match before and I think they went away assuming that the atmosphere/excitement was always like that!

Just read the match report - Luke Varney upfront for Charlton and Chris Coleman managing Coventry, completely forgot that either of those things had happened!