Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the best you have ever seen Charlton play?

Comments

• Options
    Funnily enough two games from Selhurst Park, both 3-0 wins .Chelsea game mentioned above and Derby County with Shilton in goal for them Williams and Mortimer unplayable
  • Options
    The first home game of the 98-99 season when we caned Southampton 5-0 we looked great and the Premier League looked like it was going to be a cake walk...
  • Options
    1968/69 FA Cup replay at Selhurst Park - Palace 0 - Charlton 2. What a night !
  • Options
    Second half at home to Sheff Weds in Aug 2007 (under Pardew) - came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 with some smashing football.

Todorov was unplayable as a half time sub.
  • Options
    The 6-0 at Barnsley was a great day out, but in terms of our best premier league performance I will always remember beating Liverpool 3-2 with the Lisbe Hattrick, maybe it was rose tinted spectacles but I thought we were untouchable
  • Options
    BEANBAG said:

1968/69 FA Cup replay at Selhurst Park - Palace 0 - Charlton 2. What a night !

Yes, that was something special.
    Ray Tracey scored the best goal have ever seen live.
  • Options
    4-0 away win @ Chesterfield when we won League One was a great performance

Felt like a training game from Charlton that night we were so dominate
  • Options

We were superb that night, they were lucky it was only 4. I was absolutely smashed though.

• Options
    Barnsley 0 Charlton 6, we were not bad that day.

We could have had a couple more as we were literally queueing up for shooting practice.
  • Options
    4-0 West Ham
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does preseason count? If so I reckon last weekend's 6-1 win over Ipswich comes pretty close (and I have been following Charlton for the last 25 years)
  • Options
    Chelsea at home 4-2. We were unbelievable in that game.
  • Options

I remember we were going through a bit of a rough patch prior to that game.

I was at university pre-drinking and getting smashed.
  • Options
    What a great topic for a thread.

Playoff final '98 epitomised Curbs' Charlton that never gave up but I'll have to go for beating Chelsea 4-2 at home, probably by the best Charlton team I've seen as well.
  • Options
    Not sure about a single game because there would be too many for me to recall but there was one period of games in 1972 when we seemed invincible at home.

Between the 29th August and 2nd December that year, our home record was:

P10 W9 D1 L0 F29 A6

These matches included the evening 6-0 and 6-1 demolitions of Swansea and Notts County respectively.

I can't recall wanting to watch us play as much as I did as a teenager at that time. Sadly I'm not sure that desire will ever come back.

• Options
    I'd like to see a new thread opened discussing our worst performances, although i don't want to break the site...
  • Options

I'd like to see a new thread opened discussing our worst performances, although i don't want to break the site...

I was planning to do one once this thread winds down a bit.
  • Options
    Halix said:

The one that popped into my head was 1-4 at Walsall during our promotion year, when we could even afford to laugh at Pringle running the length of the pitch only to miss from ten yards.

That game stuck out for me strangely, we literally were too good for that league.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

4-0 at home to West Ham. We battered them first half. JFH and Zheng both hit the post as well.

Also the 4-2 against Chelsea.

Forgotten as they stayed up and we threw it away..
  • Options
    edited August 2017
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another strange one which stuck for me was the play off year, towards end of season we beat wolves, only 1-0 at home but fck me it was so easy, I remember saying to my dad after that as he didn't go, 'dad, we really are a great side at the moment'
    I could never recall us looking a league above a half decent side as we did in that 1-0 win. It probably wasn't even shots on target, it's the fact we were in total control and never ever looked liked conceding.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    When we beat Chelsea 1-0 at Stamford Bridge when I think Bartlett scored. It wasn't spectacular, but the work-rate, control and organisation were so good that I still vividly remember sitting there thinking, 'We're beating Chelsea away and it's so easy'.
  • Options
    The ones where everything went right for me are

West Ham 4-0 against curbs west ham in our relegation season
    Liverpool 2-0 at home when they were European champs
    The west Bromwich Albion game where we just smacked their legs for 90 minutes and put 5 or 6 past them
    3-0 against Middlesbrough in 98. Completely dominated them 11 against 11 everyone turned up
    Someone mentioned the Norwich game under Parkinson where Fraser forster was unbeatable. Great shout

But Chelsea at home humiliating them 4-2. That was the peak of modern era charlton athletic and sadly we started sliding not long after that game.
  • Options
    I think all my favourites have been covered, so I will chuck in Ipswich away in the 1998 playoff semi. The way we went at them from the off. The quite staggering Sasa Ilic save where he leapt and held a piledriver from Eric Gates that nearly every keeper would have palmed away for a corner. You saw the Ipswich players droop, realising that all the hype about this keeper from nowhere had a solid foundation. And Mills got sent off, but we just gathered ourselves and held on without a huge scare. That was the game where I started to really Believe - that something special was happening to my club that would eclipse anything I had known for the previous 30- odd years.
  • Options
    Lots been covered already but my favourite performance of the League One champions season was the 5-2 home win against Preston. Shame we let in those two goals in the last five minutes but up until then it was a walk in the park... 4-0 by half time and could've been many many more if we hadn't taken our foot off the gas in the second half.

People talking about the Sheffield games in January being the point at which they knew we had a special team that season. For me, that Preston game in early November was what convinced me we were more than just a decent team on a good run.
  • Options

I think all my favourites have been covered, so I will chuck in Ipswich away in the 1998 playoff semi. The way we went at them from the off. The quite staggering Sasa Ilic save where he leapt and held a piledriver from Eric Gates that nearly every keeper would have palmed away for a corner. You saw the Ipswich players droop, realising that all the hype about this keeper from nowhere had a solid foundation. And Mills got sent off, but we just gathered ourselves and held on without a huge scare. That was the game where I started to really Believe - that something special was happening to my club that would eclipse anything I had known for the previous 30- odd years.

Eric Gates?
  • Options

Blackburn away FA cup

Best 14 mins of my life
    I bet that's not the first time you've said that ;)