Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fosu - Who is responsible for signing this lad?

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

We're not cursed, there is a clear pattern.

We sign this sort of injury prone player and have had inadequate sized squads which forces players to come back from injury too soon, ruining them as players further down the line.

Vetokele is one, Fosu looks to be another.

Fosu appears to be "injury prone" only after signing for Charlton.

Same for Vetokele.

IMO they fall into the second category. Rushed back too soon and makes things worse.

Reeves is the former.
  • Options
    Don't forget Page and Solly, too...
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    But Lee it is probably his 1st game as a winger all season and his end product is finding a half fit 5'8" Igor with crosses, playing up top on his own against two big CHs.

Engage brain. Open mouth. Your selections. 
  • Options
    But Lee it is probably his 1st game as a winger all season and his end product is finding a half fit 5'8" Igor with crosses, playing up top on his own against two big CHs.

Fosu wasnt even beating the first man with either his crossing or trickery against Southend though - Doesnt matter who the Striker is they werent getting on the end of anything he produced
  • Options
    Interesting that LB thinks Joe Aribo is close to signing a new deal. Would have thought his agent would be seeing £££ signs with a move to high end championship or lower prem 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Interesting that LB thinks Joe Aribo is close to signing a new deal. Would have thought his agent would be seeing £££ signs with a move to high end championship or lower prem 
    Maybe, had he not got his injury but that has set him back a bit and clubs will want to see how he responds to his injury.

Expect Aribo to sign and if Roland is here still leave next Jan
  • Options
    Aribo won’t have made much from the game yet so unless he signed a pre contract abroad his risk would be not signing with us, picking up a bad injury, out of work and forgotten man if he was out for a year like JFC.

if he does sign I expect there will be a weak release clause like Gomez had.
  • Options
    Aribo won’t have made much from the game yet so unless he signed a pre contract abroad his risk would be not signing with us, picking up a bad injury, out of work and forgotten man if he was out for a year like JFC.

Aribo is a promising L1 player, he's nowhere near the level of Gomez who had loads of England youth caps while with us. If he signed a contract with us, he's probably only be worth £1m, Cousins didn't go for much more
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So Gomez had a weak release clause, your probably right but would he have signed any contract with out one? I don't totally agree that this was RDs or KMs fault, yes they did the deal, but he should of had a long term pro deal before they got their hands on him, same as Poyet.  Everyone knew how good Joe was. 

Some people will say that we gave him away yet say Roland won't sell the club because we have a massive sell on clause?  It can't be both. 

• Options

It’s not just the Southend game where he hasn’t produced. That said, I remember at one point he was in a decent position for an attacking pass and swung a wild boot at the ball. It went out for a throw in.

You could tell it had been playing on his mind later on in the game. He was in a much better position for a shot in injury time but chose to try a pass and we lost the ball.

He’s trying to force things too much when the situation doesn’t warrant it and he’s being too shy when perhaps he should be sticking his foot through it.

It’s an encapsulation of his problems all season. His decision making is costing him and I think we are starting to see the reasons why Reading didn’t try harder to keep him.
  • Options

Partly true, though he’s never been an out and out winger. His game is more about cutting inside to shoot than going down the line and swinging crosses in.

He’s not scoring goals this season and isn’t making up for it by creating chances.

There was a moment on Saturday when he got into the box but tried to beat another defender and lost the ball. It’s moments like that he needs to make the right decision, it could be the difference between a goal and giving the ball back to the opposition.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Partly true, though he’s never been an out and out winger. His game is more about cutting inside to shoot than going down the line and swinging crosses in.

He’s not scoring goals this season and isn’t making up for it by creating chances.

There was a moment on Saturday when he got into the box but tried to beat another defender and lost the ball. It’s moments like that he needs to make the right decision, it could be the difference between a goal and giving the ball back to the opposition.
    All footballers need to be able to cross a ball. Nabby put in a couple from wide left Saturday, that is the modern game.

Totaly agree re the decision he made Saturday. It was a fantastic bit of skill to beat the first man and then drive into the box. As soon as he went passed his man he should have had a man picked out to pass too, hard and low, or a chip to the far post. It should be wired in.

The same criticism goes to Marshall. Beat his man, drove into the box and tried a weak shot when there were two forwards in space looking for a knock back. No end product, no point.

All professional footballers have set skills and attributes, it is the decision making that sets the best apart. Bows picked Grant up on it early in the season when he had a shot when a simple pass to Taylor would have given him a tap in. Boy did he take that on board.

With players returning to the squad there will be no point knocking on Bows door unless you can deliver, and quite rightly too.

Marshall I think was trying a bit too hard to prove something and I can understand it. Fosu needs to work hard to improve this aspect if he wants to play a higher level than this, or even top end at this level. I also don’t think his contract situation is helping him at all, but that’s his decision. But it is about time he made a good one.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with what LB is saying, but should he be saying this stuff publicly (and it’s by no means the first time)?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    This thread title was originally praise, now it sounds like an accusation! 
    Was just thinking the same! 
  • Options
    A lot of people are making reference to the “shot” in the first half that went for a throw but it appeared that the ball bobbled as he struck it. Certainly Fosu turned and looked accusingly at the turf. 
    I like him but he’s just struggling with confidence at the moment. His form against Gillingham was a reminder of what he can do
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    A lot of people are making reference to the “shot” in the first half that went for a throw but it appeared that the ball bobbled as he struck it. Certainly Fosu turned and looked accusingly at the turf. 
    I like him but he’s just struggling with confidence at the moment. His form against Gillingham was a reminder of what he can do
    Fosu is an enigma. 
    The Clint Eastwood player: the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    The Good: on many occasions he skilled up a player and went past before being hacked down.
    The bad: after beating a defender with aplomb in the box he tries to beat another one and loses the ball.
    The Ugly: The shot in first half which went off for a throw, he did blame the pitch

Tarique is the the X factor player, but other than Gillingham at home when for 70 minutes he was unplayable, there are too times when we are left thinking Y.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    se9addick said:
    Scoham said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with what LB is saying, but should he be saying this stuff publicly (and it’s by no means the first time)?
    Bowyer only saying what people at the game saw with their own eyes.

He hasn't said anything publicly that he wouldn't have said to the players first.
    In fact, he's been banging on about their decision making and lack of end product all season.

It's the very reason why Fosu and Marshall have not been 1st team regulars.
    Anyway, he's quick to praise them when they do make an impact.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    I raise your . And give you a ,
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Redrobo said:
    AshBurton said:
    I raise your . And give you a ,
    To you, sir, a ;

(was trying to embed a tweet properly but gave up)
  • Options
    : !
  • Options
    Will try a screenshot instead. Great photo by Paul Edwards (“Smile like you mean it”) of a late Charlton attack at Peterborough - but there’s something not quite right with Mr Fosu...

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Wish this fella could turn his career around with us, obviously got talent, but playing like he’s already signed for anther club ( not yet announced) and doesn’t want to get injured, cmon Tarique, many would love to be playing for this club, show us what you can do and please put in a shift till your contracts,up.
  • Options
    Hasn't been involved in the last 2 games. Not even on the subs bench.

Is he injured? Or has something possibly happened behind the scenes?

If he's not injured, I wonder if Bowyer has finally lost patience with him for whatever reason and simply decided to not use him again?
  • Options
    I want to say strange but maybe Bowyer recognises the fact we require fight and dogged performances and Fosu just isn’t that! Crying shame how he has fallen really!
  • Options
    It is, dont look like we will renew his contract and to be honest at present i am not to fussed which says a lot for how its gone for him this season. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    But surely he is an option from the bench in certain circumstances. Looks like something has happened - hope they sort it out - may be the kick up the backside Fosu needs. I realise he won't be a Charlton player next season, but he can still help us this season.