Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Watt - Waste of a Talent

Comments

• He does love to talk doesn't he?

Hopefully it works out for him over there but I can't see it myself.
  • stonemuse said:

msomerton said:

I thought it was a season long loan only.

Nope, gone.
    Thank God, I believed and believed he'd come good but clearly a poor man's Ravel Morrison.

TFH has probably scored more goals in a handful of games than Watt did in nearly 60 - complete waste of space and the team unity is now strangely much, much better since he did one.

Grrrr!
  • I was a fan of his, but I don't think I know a player right now who has become instantly as obsessed with social media / general waffling about meaningless bollocks as him.
  • cafctom said:

I was a fan of his, but I don't think I know a player right now who has become instantly as obsessed with social media / general waffling about meaningless bollocks as him.

It's because other players train and get match fit while he sits on his arse all day
  • "To be completely honest with you, the last eight months there I felt totally out of place. My time at Charlton was up for a while and I knew I needed to find somewhere I felt wanted and needed."

This from a guy who is on his 9th different club at the age of 23.

• Broken toe ? For TW to sustain an actual sporting injury is a miracle akin to the Virgin Mary's Immaculate Conception.

OHL are on a wonderful run, only blemished by the Cup defeat at STVV. For a vital game away to their closest rivals, why on Earth would you not go along to support your buds. The fact is that he probably doesn't have very many close personal friends, and it could well be he doesn't spend so much time in Belgium anyway.

When Pearson finally gets to meet this enigmatic figure, feet are not going to touch.

Tone's a likeable guy and no-one would wish ill on him, but he is his own worst enemy and I really hope his closest mates and his professional support do all they can to help get his career back on track.

At 23/24 the fella has had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus.

He'll never learn, he's no doubt had numerous pieces of advice and nothing changes.
  • "To be completely honest with you, the last eight months there I felt totally out of place. My time at Charlton was up for a while and I knew I needed to find somewhere I felt wanted and needed."

This from a guy who is on his 9th different club at the age of 23.

Maybe he would feel wanted and needed if he put some effort into his training and got fit and played a vital part in the team.

• Sounds like Gascoigne. Sitting by himself unable to plan what to do if he's not playing football. Loses interest quickly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just noticed that Watt's 24th birthday was, actually, yesterday. Wonder if this will be a "wake up" call for him. Sadly I doubt it.
  • Who cares, was a disgrace for us at times, most notably at Blackburn in what has to be the worst performance I've ever seen from a player for Charlton. Air shots, falling over, clearly still pissed.
  • He was briefly the most exciting player I’d remembered seeing since Scott Parker. I think he had six great games for us in the first season he joined.

In football there are very few times that one can get that excited about a player (certainly watching Charlton) so I’ll always have fond memories of him but in the end he failed to justify his presence with us.

Sad for us, sad for him and sad for anyone that commits to paying him a living. I just hope, for his sake, that he shows more maturity with his money than he does with his attitude otherwise he, really, is going to have a tough life as soon as he (or his agent) runs out of suckers to pay him to play football - or not play, as the case may be.

Sadly, if he's not woken up by the age of 24 he's unlikely to. He'll join a depressingly long list of those who had the talent but pissed it away. I suspect he won't even still be playing professional football when he's 30. Once word gets round a player is not worth the effort, they're done. There's always a dozen teenagers with the ability and the attitude ready to grab their chance.
  • That was excellent and most enjoyable at the time but this, being the highlight of his time with us, probably sums him up best. Wasting a couple of minutes and getting two players booked at the end of a game.

I hadn’t realised at the time, but do now, that he was so knackered that he could hardly walk. That is the other thing about Watt that he will always be remembered for - he was never fully match fit. Not once!
  • The "too much too soon" cliche could not be more appropriate in Watt's case.

Jamie Vardy was released by Wednesday when he was 16 because he was too small and played non League football and worked in a factory right up until he signed for Leicester when he was 25. The same could be said about George Boyd and Lawrie Wilson who didn't get play League football 'til they were 22 and 23 respectively.

As much as talent is a vital commodity, without the right attitude, no player will do anything in sport. If Watt wants to know what hard work brings he could do worse than to look at another 24 year old - Harry Kane - who was told, as a youngster, by Arsenal that he was being released. He's probably worth £100m plus now. I wouldn't give a £100 for Watt at the moment.
  • I remember thinking he was too good for the championship...how wrong was I?!
  • edited December 2017
    I think with Watt he scored that goal against Barcelona that proved to be the winner and it went to his head.

There is a quality player in there, we saw it in patches, but that goal has probably ruined his career because he cant stay grounded now
  • Sponsored links:

• i still love tony watt

With a name like yours I can see why - at least Watt made the pitch even if he didn't do much on it!
  • I don’t think he was a waste of talent. He didn’t have any talent to waste.
  • I’d imagine a night out with Tony would be decent. Birds, booze, bugle horn finished off with a chicken shish.
  • iamdan said:

I’d imagine a night out with Tony would be decent. Birds, booze, bugle horn finished off with a chicken shish.

Oh yeah. There’s little doubt that he would be a great bloke to be around. I got the impression that all the players loved him - until associating with him affected their careers.

He is the kind of bloke that you would love to have on speed dial but wouldn’t want your children or employees to know as his attitude could rub off on them.
  • iamdan said:

I’d imagine a night out with Tony would be decent. Birds, booze, bugle horn finished off with a chicken shish.

Oh yeah. There’s little doubt that he would be a great bloke to be around. I got the impression that all the players loved him - until associating with him affected their careers.

He is the kind of bloke that you would love to have on speed dial but wouldn’t want your children or employees to know as his attitude could rub off on them.
    I was on the table next to him at the POTY dinner.

I can confirm that TW is not a happy drunk, but a very, very, miserable one.

I would imagine it would be the worst night out imaginable...
  • That was excellent and most enjoyable at the time but this, being the highlight of his time with us, probably sums him up best. Wasting a couple of minutes and getting two players booked at the end of a game.

I hadn’t realised at the time, but do now, that he was so knackered that he could hardly walk. That is the other thing about Watt that he will always be remembered for - he was never fully match fit. Not once!

Take your point KHA, but his goal against Leeds was pretty good too...
  • Luzon may not be one of the great names of football management, but he seems to be one of the few people who got Watt playing. Clearly they had some sort of a bond
  • That fella should change his name to Tony Who?
  • In relation to what , what’s the rest for us none twatters