Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt - Waste of a Talent

Comments

• Options

A striker not tracking back or being good at tackling. Whatever next. Unless he is sold then it seems Watt is very much this years scapegoat.

To be fair, I would probably criticise too but the thing with not going much now is that I missed Saturday and we won so I don't really have any insight to his performance.

That said, KR says he is in great shape and I look forward to hearing how he gets on when we are on the front foot and playing a game a striker like him may have a chance to thrive on. He is not a physical Magennis type and is never going to throw himself into challenges.

He was being fouled left, right and centre even when he didn't have the ball on Saturday and he pushed the Rovers defence back. With that kind of attention from the opposition, if he's not scoring he's going to be making space for others to do so. Him and Magennis in partnership with that attacking play KR has put together could create a lot of goals this season.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I thought his 'cameo' was the most disgraceful performance I can recall seeing from a player in a Charlton shirt, especially given the circumstances of the game when he came on.

If I was a footballer with all of the attributes (skill, technique etc.) other than fitness then I'd like to think I'd do everything to get as fit as humanly possible (even if I might never be a Jordan Cousins or a Bradley Pritchard in that regard).

Alas I suspect Watt lacks the intelligence to recognize the opportunity he has or perhaps simply he would indeed prefer to go back to a dead-end life with his Glasgow mates again.
  • Options
    It was tactical genius though, continually breaking up the play by losing a shinpad, the sort of thing a 12 year old would get stick for

At least I hope it was tactical genius...
  • Options
    We've had this discussion a lot, and I don't usually comment cos in my heart I want Watt to come good, even though in my head I don't think he will. But now I feel very differently - I feel like we have a fragile peace of sorts, and Watt is more likely to mess that up than enhance it.

Pochettino got rid of every player that was remotely troublesome from the Spurs team, and I think Robinson should do the same here. And I think it'll be the last time Watt is ever playing at this level.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

RedChaser said:

I assume Watt will play at Exeter, a chance to show he still has it

If Solly is saying TW has the next few games to stake a claim presumably as Magennis is not fit or to be risked and Novak is suspended would he be risked at Exeter? And two games in 4 days for someone who others are questioning his fitness levels. I'd start Aherne Grant and have TW on the bench at Exeter.
    Karlan 3 in 42 Grant (3 assists)
    or
    Tony 10 in 55 Watt (5 assists)

I'd Take Watt into that game and worse case scenario, bring KAG in on the hour.

He's a risk, but he needs a(n) confidence attitude boost.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

We've had this discussion a lot, and I don't usually comment cos in my heart I want Watt to come good, even though in my head I don't think he will. But now I feel very differently - I feel like we have a fragile peace of sorts, and Watt is more likely to mess that up than enhance it.

Pochettino got rid of every player that was remotely troublesome from the Spurs team, and I think Robinson should do the same here. And I think it'll be the last time Watt is ever playing at this level.

Can genuinely see a tubby 28/29 y.o. Watt turning out for a Scottish 3rd Div side.

I'd like him to do well, but personally I'd take the wage hit and ship him out for whatever we can get. Rather play a youth player with a bit of hunger - e.g. Mikhail Kennedy.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Can genuinely see a tubby 28/29 y.o. Watt turning out for a Scottish 3rd Div side.

I'd like him to do well, but personally I'd take the wage hit and ship him out for whatever we can get. Rather play a youth player with a bit of hunger - e.g. Mikhail Kennedy.
    Kennedy isn't good enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Based on the system we play (or have started to play) the main issue for me is that he doesn't really fit in with what we need in a group of strikers in the squad.

Within our attacking midfielder group we have Billy Clarke (who seems to be making an ever growing good impression) and alongside him I would say we need four more strikers - at least 2 of which need to be capable of holding on to the ball and strong in the air:

Magennis (apparently back for Plymouth and at the very least back in the next game).

Novak (that role will suit him and his game)

Hackett-Fairchild (seems to have moved ahead of Hanlan and Umerah in the order - possibly like Aribo potential to jump straight into first team squad without a loan)

With KAG more in the Fosu, Holmes, Marshall, Reeves group - we need one more. Ideally someone who has the striker poaching credentials but is strong enough to win a bit in the air and hold the ball up.

Said it before and will say it again - Igor would have been perfect.
  • Options

Based on the system we play (or have started to play) the main issue for me is that he doesn't really fit in with what we need in a group of strikers in the squad.

Within our attacking midfielder group we have Billy Clarke (who seems to be making an ever growing good impression) and alongside him I would say we need four more strikers - at least 2 of which need to be capable of holding on to the ball and strong in the air:

Magennis (apparently back for Plymouth and at the very least back in the next game).

Hackett-Fairchild (seems to have moved ahead of Hanlan and Umerah in the order - possibly like Aribo potential to jump straight into first team squad without a loan)

With KAG more in the Fosu, Holmes, Marshall, Reeves group - we need one more. Ideally someone who has the striker poaching credentials but is strong enough to win a bit in the air and hold the ball up.

Except, well, you know... he didn't want to be here.
  • Options
    Do you guys know TW is on his way back to Belgium ?! He has been bought by OH Leuven (Louvain). This has just been released in Belgian media ...
  • Options
    skywalker said:

Do you guys know TW is on his way back to Belgium ?! He has been bought by OH Leuven (Louvain). This has just been released in Belgian media ...

nothing on their website, second division side too. surely he is better than that?
  • Options
    What are Watt's talents and strengths? Because I'm struggling to think of something he is really good at that puts him above any other player
  • Options
    Watch him score 25 goals by January, 15 assists, 12 man of the match performances and a transfer to Leicester :)
  • Options
    I hope it's true. Getting watt of the wage bill would allow Robinson to bring in another striker
  • Options
    same owners as leicester

translated from the news story

we will soon see an old famous return to Belgium. Tony Watt, the spit that used to be for Standard and Lierse, is on his way to OH Leuven.
    From a good source, we know that Tony Watt will soon be the latest acquisition of OH Leuven . However, in recent months he has been linked to a return to Lierse in recent months.
    The Scottish attacker played between 2013 and 2014 for Lierse and later Standard . Eventually Charlton Athletic bought him away from Liège, but in England he found it hard to find his place. At OHL he hopes he has got back to strength.

Read more: https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nieuws/lees/2017-08-11/exclusief-tony-watt-ex-spits-standard-en-lierse-keert-terug-naar-belgie#ixzz4pRmNfzPV

that being said that is the only story i can find.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I hope it's true. Getting watt of the wage bill would allow Robinson to bring in another striker

can't see a Belgian Second Division side being able to afford his wages so if he goes we will either be subsidising them somehow or have agreed some sort of contract settlement.

• Options

can't see a Belgian Second Division side being able to afford his wages so if he goes we will either be subsidising them somehow or have agreed some sort of contract settlement.

They're owned by Leicester's owners and looking to push for promotion, i wouldn't be surprised if T.Watt is going to be their marquee signing for this push
  • Options
    'We will soon see an old famous return to Belgium. Tony Watt, the spit that used to be for Standard and Lierse, is on his way to OH Leuven.

From a good source, we know that Tony Watt will soon be the latest acquisition of OH Leuven. However, in recent months he has been linked to a return to Lierse in recent months.

The Scottish attacker played between 2013 and 2014 for Lierse and later Standard. Eventually Charlton Athletic bought him away from Liège, but in England he found it hard to find his place. At OHL he hopes he has got back to strength.'
  • Options
    FYI, ... "spits" = a forward :)
  • Options
    skywalker said:

1 wrong letter
  • Options

Hanlan and Umerah are/were injured.
  • Options
    skywalker said:

Oh no he isn't, Spit's a dog...
  • Options
    hes just tweeted him having a frankie and bennys.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    Who is that?