Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

IAAF World Championships London 2017

Comments

• Is the screen permanent?
  • Quite surprised with all our success in the last Olympics that we only actually gathered 7 medals in track and field.

Mo’s double gold in 10 & 5K, Jessica’s silver in the Heptathlon, and bronze in the women’s hammer with Sophie Hitchen, Greg Rutherford’s triple jump and the women’s 4x100 and 4x400.

Here at the start of day 8 (of 10) we sit 12th in medal table, but a more healthy 6th in the Placing table (which is quite an interesting read) …

https://www.iaaf.org/Competitions/iaaf-world-championships/iaaf-world-championships-london-2017-5151/placingtable

Bearing in mind the lottery funding should we feel disappointed, or is everything on track with British athletics?

• We have one medal so far and may get another via Mo Farah.

Not an avid follower of athletics but are we just going through a phase where the established stars are nearing the end of their careers?

Seem to have a few promising youngsters coming through, maybe next world championships or Olympics they will flourish.
  • We should finish on around 4. Have been unlucky, so many 4th places.
  • Mo flying past from the other night in the wet
  • MrOneLung said:

Is the screen permanent?

It's all permanent, Wet Spam just install extra seating in front of the existing lower tier.
  • iaitch said:

We have one medal so far and may get another via Mo Farah.

Not an avid follower of athletics but are we just going through a phase where the established stars are nearing the end of their careers?

Seem to have a few promising youngsters coming through, maybe next world championships or Olympics they will flourish.

Yes, it's a bit of a generational shift. The team this year is curiously Scottish too, an amazing number of Scottish runners!
  • Nice photo, you can see all her athleticism!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Great run by Dina, but YET another 4th place...
  • Wife ,father in law and two sons went tonight and father in laws Physio or whatever he is is Serbian and helps their team .
    He spoke to him afterwards and the Serbian girl, Ivana Spanovic, who came 4th apparently did a massive jump that would have won it but the number on her back(which they'd complained about cos it wouldn't stay on properly ) hung off and hit the sand and knocked the jump well back .
    The women's long jump ceremony didn't take place cos the Serbian team have appealed but they don't holdout much hope that anything would happen.

Boring bit of info about a competition no one cares about !
  • Athlete is in charge of all their equipment.
    Even if an earring fell out mid jump, that is where the distance is marked from.

Did no one have a safety pin / glue / stapler ?
  • Wife ,father in law and two sons went tonight and father in laws Physio or whatever he is is Serbian and helps their team .
    He spoke to him afterwards and the Serbian girl, Ivana Spanovic, who came 4th apparently did a massive jump that would have won it but the number on her back(which they'd complained about cos it wouldn't stay on properly ) hung off and hit the sand and knocked the jump well back .
    The women's long jump ceremony didn't take place cos the Serbian team have appealed but they don't holdout much hope that anything would happen.

Boring bit of info about a competition no one cares about !

Funny you should say that, it looked a clear 7m jump to me and was well surprised when they said 6.91
  • I'm off this morning, looking forward to it
  • Bit of an anticlimax, the Turkish guy winning the 200m!

I was near the back, and due to the roof having its cantilever (or whatever they were) struts underneath it, they actually impeded my view of the big screen, which was pretty annoying as my tickets weren't cheap either (the screen provides replays, results, qualifiers etc). It seems rather poor design to have this flaw after all the money spent on rebuilding the stadium...

I'm sitting in the bottom right corner of your photo, 8 rows from the front. £95 down there.

Is it me or was the annoying thumping base (loosely termed as music) that continued all night long really really annoying ?

You can't hear/notice it on TV.
  • the stupid thing with the long jump situation is that there's absolutely no need to have numbers on the back of jumpers. it used to be that rear numbers were only compulsory for sprint events to help out the timekeepers but it's now crept in to all events at all levels

Katarina qualifying for the high jump final at 1.92m which would have been got her a silver medal in the heptathlon if she'd have made it

would not be at all surprised if she jumps 1.98 again which, a back of the fag packet calculation tells me, would've got enough points for gold

obviously much harder to do it in the middle of a multi event though
  • I'm off this morning, looking forward to it

wasn't sure if you meant off work or off to the stadium but just seen your photo from the track. have fun

• Canada relay team. Smellie and Brown lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Canada relay team. Smellie and Brown lol.

Is that the baton?

I was near the back, and due to the roof having its cantilever (or whatever they were) struts underneath it, they actually impeded my view of the big screen, which was pretty annoying as my tickets weren't cheap either (the screen provides replays, results, qualifiers etc). It seems rather poor design to have this flaw after all the money spent on rebuilding the stadium...

I'm sitting in the bottom right corner of your photo, 8 rows from the front. £95 down there.

Is it me or was the annoying thumping base (loosely termed as music) that continued all night long really really annoying ?

I was far enough back not to especially notice it...it does seem odd to have music on during events

The most annoying thing to me of a thoroughly enjoyable evening are the announcers. The other night we had a heat with a runner and no idea of her time which was crucial to see if she got through as a fastest loser. However the announcer and screens were more interested in getting a Mexican wave going! Had to wait until we got home to find out!
  • redman said:

Bit of an anticlimax, the Turkish guy winning the 200m!

The most annoying thing to me of a thoroughly enjoyable evening are the announcers. The other night we had a heat with a runner and no idea of her time which was crucial to see if she got through as a fastest loser. However the announcer and screens were more interested in getting a Mexican wave going! Had to wait until we got home to find out!
    Quite. I'd get rid of the constant "music" and have the commentators, talking similar to they do on the TV.
  • It is frustrating how much time they spend analysing everything when events are going on instead of watching the events. Does another broadcaster have the option to watch different events like the red button does during the Olympics on the BBC?
  • Come on Mo!!

One last time for us
  • No dairy tale ending for Mo but a worthy silver to bow out on
  • I haven't watched athletics in years and my commentary is in German. If that non affiliated high jumper wins, what anthem is played? Cheers.
  • RedPanda said:

I haven't watched athletics in years and my commentary is in German. If that non affiliated high jumper wins, what anthem is played? Cheers.

Ghost Town

• No dairy tale ending for Mo but a worthy silver to bow out on

Indeed. He couldn't milk it....
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!