Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watt watch

No, not Watt to watch, our Tony's crack at playing Barry Norman, but I thought I would start a separate thread from the transfer one so we can put any developments/our thoughts on his possible departure now we've signed Reeves.

I for one have found his tenure here bitterly disappointing. Personally I have always loved the gazza type player who has that touch that you just cannot teach. I truly believe Watt has that something special, but it seems as though we will never get to see him fulfil that potential, maybe not here anyway.

In his defence I think he's realised he needs to get his career back on track, and has applied himself more over the last 6/7 months, and from all reports he his a nice lad and friendly when he's met fans, but is the final few times we may see him in a cafc shirt before the end of August

Comments

• cabbles said:

No, not Watt to watch, our Tony's crack at playing Barry Norman, but I thought I would start a separate thread from the transfer one so we can put any developments/our thoughts on his possible departure now we've signed Reeves.

I for one have found his tenure here bitterly disappointing. Personally I have always loved the gazza type player who has that touch that you just cannot teach. I truly believe Watt has that something special, but it seems as though we will never get to see him fulfil that potential, maybe not here anyway.

In his defence I think he's realised he needs to get his career back on track, and has applied himself more over the last 6/7 months, and from all reports he his a nice lad and friendly when he's met fans, but is the final few times we may see him in a cafc shirt before the end of August

With the players we have in the squad now and with KR's attacking game play I suspect Tony Watt could shine big time this season. If he isn't scoring goals he's going to still get us plenty of free kicks in sight of the oppositions goal and we've got at least one player who knows how to make the most of those. Don't write TW off so quickly.
  • We've never seen a fit Tony Watt in a good Charlton team. I feel if our team is performing well this season and TW is still here he could easily get in to double figures. Some big IFs though.
  • edited August 2017
    Watt can not play as a lone striker. He is not good enough in the air, or quick enough off the mark. There is also the question if he is robust enough, physically and mentally, to take the battering that Josh rakes.

So where do you play him? On the wing? I think we'd all agree he isn't quick enough to play out there...

So where does that leave? The number 10 position. Watch, even the highlights, of Clarke in the Ipswich game. What did we learn? 1) He constantly harries and hassles the defence and defensive midfielders. Do you think anything in the time TW has been here shows his ability to do that? 2) An ability to be unselfish, and PASS the ball to team mates. (Of the 6 goals, 2 were assists by Clarke, 2 by Holmes.) That's probably more assists in that one game, than TW has in his whole Charlton career.

Also, Fosu, Holmes and Clarke were constantly changing positions, knowing that the discipline of the other 2 was such that they knew their positions would be covered. DISCIPLINE. Something that TW has shown a complete absence of, on the pitch.

And now we've signed Reeves...

So, we know Fosu, Holmes and Clarke can play as a number 10. Reeves reputation says that he can play at 10. So, that makes TW fifth choice?

I'm sure his wages are far too high to have him as an occasional player, in an unfamiliar position, when every other choice is either injured, or being rested.

And I haven't mentioned either KAG, Aribo or JFC. Both the first 2 have been tried in that position, and I'm pretty sure that JFC could. (And I think Robinson said he could when he signed him.)

I wish him all the best, and like all ex CAFC players I shall watch his career with some interest, but, surely, the best thing is to get him off the wage bill, and use the money saved to sign another back up to Magennis, as well as Novak.

And/or the second senior goalkeeper that Robinson wants.
  • i like the player, i think the abuse he recieves on instagram and twitter is laughable by so called charlton fans who feel the need to abuse him because he played for celtic and tweets about them a lot. that aside i don't really think were in a position to tell players there shit etc, but if someone else was to come in with more desire and worked there socks off every game i would. from when i've seen him play i don't get the views some others do.

what i dont want to happen is loan him out to blackburn he gets on there and then helps them do well as i do see them as a rival aswell as bury and the ajose situation, its a very current charlton thing to do loan out players that help other teams but are deemed not good enough for us. ajose i think was a v bad purchase and wasnt even checked out just purchased simply on the amount of goals he scored.
  • I couldn't care less about him or where he plays, which is pretty much on a par with himself. Seriously overrated, greedy, lazy and troublesome, the sooner he leaves for good the better
  • I remember commenting on Watt's fitness a long time back and got pelters for it. Unfortunately, the guy has a massive amount of talent. However, his application/desire just hasn't been there for a good couple of seasons. I agree that he definitely is maturing and wants to get his career back on track. If you check his social media (not the greatest way of knowing someone's character!!!) he is showing positive signs of that desire slowly coming back. Unfortunately, I think there's a lot of water already under the bridge with KR and he just doesn't fit the ethos/style.
  • Sponsored links:

• Let's see how he functions in front of a properly performing midfield before we flog him off cheap. It could make the world of difference to a player like Watt who too often had to drop deep to collect the ball, then had to try beating three men before reaching the box.
  • He's jank, get rid.
  • He's jank, get rid.

My appraisal is a bit more detailed.
    Tony Watts career to date:- He scored against Barcelona once, he kept a football in the corner of the pitch for about half an hour.
  • It is a real shame, there is real talent in him but no matter if he is fit or not he doesn't seem able to show it.

Thanks for the rare moments like this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSIu2ScntQ8
  • Keep him and bring him on for reeves with 10 minutes left. Therefore he still shows his skill and as we all know can get past players, and he also doesn't have to be the most fit athlete either
  • cfgs said:

It is a real shame, there is real talent in him but no matter if he is fit or not he doesn't seem able to show it.

Best finisher we have IMO... Also most inconsistent player we have.
  • edited August 2017
    I remember back in the day Lennie Lawrence had a reputation for bringing players to Charlton who had lost their way. He then some how got them to re capture that previous form and get them performing at the top of their game. Some one will do that with Tony Watt, I for one hope it's KR and its for us.
  • He's jank, get rid.

cfgs said:

It is a real shame, there is real talent in him but no matter if he is fit or not he doesn't seem able to show it.

I think the second negates the first.
  • I remember back in the day Lennie Lawrence had a reputation for bringing players to Charlton who had lost their way. He then some how got them to re capture that previous form and get them performing at the top of their game. Some one will do that with Tony Watt, I for one hope it's KR and its for us.

said Ralph Milne

• Get rid soonest, free up wages and sign another proven striker.
  • Sponsored links:

• BillG said:

Get rid soonest, free up wages and sign another proven striker.

club will o just that - and sign this kid from 'boro