Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to the Newshopper website?

Recently gone to absolute shite. Loads of pop ups, wants you to complete surveys, anything to stop you getting the actual article.

On mobile half the time the page loads without the article and you have to refresh 2 or 3 times to get any text. I reckon it's a ploy to get more hits for their pay per click advertising.

Sort it out....

Comments

• Options
    Not recent, stopped visiting it a couple of years ago now due to the amount of advert shite being thrown at it, and a couple of links put on here that screwed up my PC.

Not just them though. Rarely visit any news website over than the BBC due to amount of bilge now thrown at it, though I noticed recently the BBC is now carrying promoted content and google ads (not sure if this is just viewing from abroad)
  • Options
    Agree there's a general trend towards this but to me the Newshopper has taken one big jump this summer from being bearable to the worst of the lot.
  • Options
    Thankfully there are no ads on CL
  • Options
    Recently?
  • Options
    What happened ?
    Did they put some news on it ?
  • Options

Not recent, stopped visiting it a couple of years ago now due to the amount of advert shite being thrown at it, and a couple of links put on here that screwed up my PC.

Not just them though. Rarely visit any news website over than the BBC due to amount of bilge now thrown at it, though I noticed recently the BBC is now carrying promoted content and google ads (not sure if this is just viewing from abroad)

The BBC does take advertising revenue abroad, noticed that when I have been away. I imagine the app would still be ad free
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited August 2017
    Had a look yesterday and kept getting logged into a roulette page. Now given up with Newshopper and Kentclickbait
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Inadvertantly click on a link to any of these paper media sites and you spend at least ten minutes waiting for some totally unrelated shite to load or you have to firefight to get any control back of your browser. Really not worth the prick ache anymore, so avoid them.
  • Options
    Its been shite for years, avoid it like the plague.
  • Options

You didn't fall for the old "Lewisham man makes $890,000 a day from home !" and "You won't believe what she did with the cucumber!" clickbait malarkey did you mate?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sadly emblematic of the inexorable decline of local news coverage contemporaneous to the move by providers towards websites (of all kinds) as revenue streams over and above their supposed or former subject matter.
  • Options
    I've tried using this site a few times....it's a total shitshow.
  • Options
    In other words, its legs have gone.
  • Options

Yes, BBC website carries ads when viewed outside the UK, just as BBC World News TV channel (not available in Britain) carries ads. It's very lucrative for the BBC - parts of the BBC website such as www.bbc.co.uk/future (which used to be unavailable in the UK) are funded by these ads.
  • Options

What happened ?
    Did they put some news on it ?

The latest newshopper exclusive report stated. The council staff working at the rubbish incinerator in Surrey canal road have complained to their management about the rancid smell coming from a rusty old building nearby. ;)
  • Options
    Cheers @InspectorSands interesting and informative.

And sad as well. I love local news when done well