Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Base for garden shed

We're having a new garden shed delivered but before we can do that we need a concrete or slab base put down. Can anyone recommend someone who can do that kind of job at a reasonable price.

Comments

• It's not that difficult to do yourself, how bigs the shed?

I did one a few weeks ago, 9x6, dug out the ground a few inches and put in a wooden frame (make sure it's level), dry mix of sand and cement and some 450 x 450 slabs. Total cost was about £80 from wickes, plenty of you tube videos to help.
  • we did one ourselves. hired a cement mixer, easy peasy.
  • I had a 12' x 6' shed erected for me and it went on a timber base, all just clear of the ground to avoid damp and all the posts supporting it were concreted in.

The guy finished it off with decking boards and it looks great.
  • You don't necessarily need such a base. I opted for one of these and it was remarkably easy to get level. And it's been fine for around ten years now. (I have no proof but I speculate that it might help the actual shed dry out after rain too and I wonder if concrete would tend to retain water and cause rot.)

There is also this sort of thing.

• If you put a wooden frame down make sure you use tanalised timber and rust proof fixings.
  • I can't do it myself as I had back surgery only 3 weeks ago! One of the reasons we're having to get a new one is that the current one is very old and beginning to rot but worse still are the foxes who've chewed through the base and sides and started living inside. That's why I thought it better to have a solid base rather than lay the new one on earth as is currently the case.
    I quite like the look of the black base shown in an earlier post but where can you buy that type of thing?
    Thanks for all your help so far--much appreciated.
    COYR
  • edited August 2017
    Cant really offer much advise other than...

My Garden Shed is better than this!!
  • dwb said:

I can't do it myself as I had back surgery only 3 weeks ago! One of the reasons we're having to get a new one is that the current one is very old and beginning to rot but worse still are the foxes who've chewed through the base and sides and started living inside. That's why I thought it better to have a solid base rather than lay the new one on earth as is currently the case.
    I quite like the look of the black base shown in an earlier post but where can you buy that type of thing?
    COYR

I have recently moved out in the sticks and a lot of guys I used to use did not want to travel. Taking this into account we have used Checketrade for various things and it has proved to be great.

The guy I used for my base/shed came from Checkertrade and I could not fault the survey/quote/work.
  • I dug out footings and did my base a few years ago, back breaking work. OTT for a shed. I was surprised how much the cement actually cost, it was £750 just for the concrete!

I would go with paving slabs or that plastic base thing posted above.
  • lay fence posts underneath the shed to avoid it rotting in time, on top of a concrete or slabbed base.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017
    If you do decide to dig out footings, let me know. - I've got a couple of dead bodies I need to dispose of.
  • robroy said:

I dug out footings and did my base a few years ago, back breaking work. OTT for a shed. I was surprised how much the cement actually cost, it was £750 just for the concrete!

Is this a picture of your shed?

• robroy said:

I dug out footings and did my base a few years ago, back breaking work. OTT for a shed. I was surprised how much the cement actually cost, it was £750 just for the concrete!

Is this a picture of your shed?

No, that's where Thunderbird 4 lives....
  • Cheap option. Paving slabs levelled on soft sand.
  • dwb said:

I can't do it myself as I had back surgery only 3 weeks ago! One of the reasons we're having to get a new one is that the current one is very old and beginning to rot but worse still are the foxes who've chewed through the base and sides and started living inside. That's why I thought it better to have a solid base rather than lay the new one on earth as is currently the case.
    COYR

Any of the usual suspects. this is the Homebase version (I think they come in different sizes or can be amalgamated. Not sure about how they level though):

homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/ecobase-fastfit-garden-building-base-kit---6ft-x-4ft-427077
  • edited August 2017
    I've found the plastic squares good for paths. Think they do work quite well under sheds etc but never used them for that myself. They cost more than concrete but they do the job without the need to mix up cement etc.
    Got mine from Wickes.