Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bristol Rovers | Sat 05 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Bristol Rovers
Saturday 5th August 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Christopher Sarginson (Staffordshire)

Introduction

Its hard to imagine where the last three months have gone yet the time seems to have flown by since we last saw Charlton kicking the ball in anger… Of course you have to go back to the last day of April when in fact we did just that as we ended the 2016/17 season with a 3-0 win over already relegated Swindon Town and thus confirmed that we’d finish in 13th place – Yet its now time to assign that season to the history books, we’ve got a new season to pin our hopes, dreams and sorrows to… and it begins this Saturday against Bristol Rovers!!

The Opposition
Name: Bristol Rovers | Manager: Darrell Clarke
Pre-Season Form: (P)-13 | (W)-6 | (D)-3 | (L)-4 | (GS)-23 | (GC)-15

Following promotion from League Two in 2016 it was an impressive feat for Bristol Rovers to just miss out on the Play-Offs last season, especially with reliable Striker: Matt Taylor being sold to rivals: Bristol City at the end of the January Transfer… No doubt having conceded nine goals against us last season am sure that Rovers will be eager to get this fixture out of the way yet that was last season, what has happened in the close season?

Naturally a Striker to replace the goals scored by Taylor would be at the top of the list and with Tom Nichols joining from Peterborough after just one season, they may well have found their man whilst notable mention has to go to Defender: Tom Broadbent signed from Hayes & Yeading after serving in Afghanistan with the British Army for a number of years.

Results as you can see above have been mixed yet an impressive win over Premier League side; West Bromwich Albion over the weekend means that our opponents might not be so easy as they were to beat last season. One interesting aspect taken from that match review is the sign that five half-time substitutions were made on Saturday, is that a sign that fitness isnt quite there for some or was it simply to protect certain players ahead of the opening weekend… We’ll soon find out!!

Charlton Team News
Our own Pre-season has been well documented which ended most notably with the 6-1 demolition of Ipswich Town last Saturday. In terms of the squad much has changed once more with both Roger Johnson and Adam Chicksen released following the ending of their Contracts whilst Jorge Teixeira and Cristian Ceballos were permanently shipped out to Belgium.

Incomings have been minimal and far between… Patience once again being a key word of our summer; Jay Dasilva has returned on loan from Chelsea with Ben Amos also coming on loan from newly promoted: Bolton. The biggest issues last season were our ability to score goals though yet you’d hope those issues will now be laid to rest with Billy Clarke (Bradford) and Tarieq Fosu (Reading) adding to our attack… Mark Marshall is of course another option yet will be forced to sit out the early stages of the season whilst he recovers from a knee injury. Most promising over the summer though was the fact we’ve retained Ricky Holmes on a new Contract despite interest from Sheffield United.

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Clarke | Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Konsa | Crofts | Dijksteel | Watt | Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
First game of the season is always the hardest to predict as players will be still shaking off the cobwebs and regaining their match sharpness… Following our result last weekend it’ll be a disappointment if we don’t win yet I expect a much tighter game with maybe just the one goal to win it, a draw certainly wouldn’t be a surprise. Sheffield United certainly proved last season that a good start isnt required when achieving promotion.

Comments

• Options
    Welcome back Forever, thank you for this.

And now we wait for @MrLargo 's first pre match prediction of the season.

I think we'll win this 2-0
  • Options
    Personally I think we're more likely to see Novak and Barnes on the bench instead of Dijksteel and Watt

2-1 to the Addicks, Clarke and Magennis, 2 assists for Rickkkkaaaaaayyyyy
  • Options
    4-2 says the heart.....cynical old head says 0-0.
  • Options
    Great intro @ForeverAddickted .. A home win to start this season of success .. BUT .. we MUST start with pace and intent .. no shillyshallying please whoever makes the 'first game final cut'
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Personally I think we're more likely to see Novak and Barnes on the bench instead of Dijksteel and Watt

Gone for Dijksteel because of the comments made by Robinson after the Norwich game and the fact that Dijksteel looks as though he can be quite a versatile player (perfect for the bench for me)... Yet wouldnt be surprised if Barnes gets the spot.

Novak on the other hand is turning into Cory Gibbs and has barely been seen this Pre-Season and with Tony Watt being the first sub against Ipswich on Saturday that for me puts him well ahead in the pecking order.

Of course we could well see Konsa and Bauer as the Centre-Back pairing, depends entirely if Pearce is fit!!
  • Options
    2-0 to the addicks!
  • Options
    Looking at that predicted team, there's more consistency from the end of last season than has usually been the case under RD, when it seems that most season half our team is replaced every summer.
  • Options
    I shall be listening intently by the pool in Cyprus and I full expect goals goals goals .

3 - 0 ( Megininnis , Pierce & Holmes )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-1 (Holmes, JFC and Mag)

Will be very interested to see the attendance, 15,000 I reckon
  • Options
    3-1 relatively comfortable opening day, who plays and how I have no idea.
  • Options

6-1 Charlton. 'We're gonna win the league'

Works for me :smile:
  • Options
    First time in a while I am looking forward to going to the Valley. New season yes, new beginning lets hope so, win most definitely 3-1
    COYR
  • Options
    dragging the wife to this one 4-1 Charlton
  • Options
    The only possible change I can see to the OP's lineup is Konsa for Bauer, assuming Pearce is fit.

We won't beat Brizzle as easily as we did last year but if everyone plays to their best we should be too strong and run out winners by two goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a great preview, you mentioned Sheffield United twice, no need to worry though......they have come good :smile:
  • Options
    Anything less than six Charlton goals is a disgrace
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Gone for Dijksteel because of the comments made by Robinson after the Norwich game and the fact that Dijksteel looks as though he can be quite a versatile player (perfect for the bench for me)... Yet wouldnt be surprised if Barnes gets the spot.

Novak on the other hand is turning into Cory Gibbs and has barely been seen this Pre-Season and with Tony Watt being the first sub against Ipswich on Saturday that for me puts him well ahead in the pecking order.

Of course we could well see Konsa and Bauer as the Centre-Back pairing, depends entirely if Pearce is fit!!
    For me at center back it's Konsa plus one. His pace and athleticism are something none of the other center backs have. I suspect it'll be him and Pearce, as they played together a lot in pre-season, but after Saturday's performance wouldn't be surprised if it's him and Bauer.
  • Options
    0-0
  • Options
    3-0 win to Mirror our last promotion season
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    3-1. I think he should stick with last week's starting 11. They all had pretty good games. Not sure if Pearce is ready to come back yet.
  • Options
    A repeat 4-1 victory.

Top of the league for 1 game.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

sam3110 said:

For me at center back it's Konsa plus one. His pace and athleticism are something none of the other center backs have. I suspect it'll be him and Pearce, as they played together a lot in pre-season, but after Saturday's performance wouldn't be surprised if it's him and Bauer.
    Pearce is an automatic starter when fit. You need somebody to lead the back line, and organise the defence during matches, and our other CBs are relatively inexperienced. Konsa is a bit weak in the air at the moment too
  • Options
    Going to this one, filled with early season optimism, 3 - 1 Charlton.
  • Options
    1-0