Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Amos signs season long loan (ed. Pg 9 - gone Millwall)

Comments

• On 18000 pounds a week I would be smiling. I wonder how much Bolton are subsidising.
  • TEL said:

Yeah a massive empty stadium unfortunately....welcome to the empty Valley Ben.

"Charlton is a massive club".

Why do players say rubbish like that?!
    he was looking at all those empty seats...massive open spaces is what he meant
  • dickplumb said:

On 18000 pounds a week I would be smiling. I wonder how much Bolton are subsidising.

SDAddick said:

Valley11 said:

Interesting quote from KM
    CEO Katrien Meire added: “The goalkeeper position was an important one for us this summer. We’re very pleased to be able to bring in Ben, especially as It has taken a bit longer than we wanted to get everything complete.”

Strange that there's been no whiff of interest in Amos until recently, even though Bolton made it clear he could go a couple of months ago. And we were courting Martin. So was Amos first choice all summer?

I think we sometimes make the mistake in thinking we'll know about every transfer movement in advance, and that's just not the case. No one had a clue about Fosu, for example.

We took Martin to Ireland but didn't sign him, which felt a bit off at the time, but it was clear that there was someone else. Maybe it was Amos and we needed to negotiate down wages, maybe it was someone else, maybe it was just the feeling that we could do better for the money.

Either way, he's here, and he's a very good signing at this level.
    Probably including Robinson :wink:
  • In my view it is good we have goalkeeping cover.
    I don't know if Amos is any good, but my view is Phillips is in the driving seat, and it is up to Amos to win the position off him.
  • dickplumb said:

On 18000 pounds a week I would be smiling. I wonder how much Bolton are subsidising.

Teixeira was not paid too much after all then.

I reckon Amos will be getting a pay rise!
  • Hmm. Odd one this. He was Bolton's third choice goalkeeper this and last season and he was replaced halfway through the season at Cardiff on loan which isn't exactly a glowing CV. He's behind Ben Alnwick in the pecking order at Bolton, so that should give us some indication of what his level is. He's always struck me as a keeper who can't ever really hold down a place wherever he goes, whether that's because of bad luck with loans or because he isn't quite good enough to be a number one remains to be seen. Hopefully he'll have a great season here but this isn't quite the goalkeeper signing I was hoping for.

The main frustration is this is another loan, which means we'll probably have to go through this bullshit again next season. Disappointing that we couldn't find a keeper to sign and try and lock the position down for a few years.
  • Rob7Lee said:

underwhelmed....... 27 years old and only once has held the no 1 position for a season, 1 year at Bolton, I think their relegation season. He's been available for a while, no-one else has snapped him up......

Think it's a risk, might work out, but a risk in such a key position. Fingers crossed......

Christ alive Rob.....just who or what were you expecting Peter f'ing Schmeichel?
    Whilst crossing your fingers can you also try to clap the fella on board when he's making his debut.......assuming that's possible as I've not tried it myself!
    Lol, i'll give it a go later, in fact i'm right by the dugout today so will see if he's free for a chat :smiley:

for me goalkeeper is one of the most important if not the most important position. No point having the fire power to score 4 every game (fat chance!) if you have a flappy keeper.

I'd have brought in a more experienced keeper, he's only played around 50 games more than Phillips. Having someone like Martin alongside Phillips would have been better in my view.

We needed a keeper, we've got one, time will tell if it was a decent signing. But I assume he'll go straight in as first choice.

We've let a lot of good keepers go over the past 4 years, mostly on free's...... Hamer, Alnwick, Henderson, Randolph...... in fact, wonder if Hamer was available?
  • dickplumb said:

I imagine the discussions over how much of that 18k we'd pay were why it took so long both internally and externally.

Don't know much about him but good luck Ben, good name and we always do well with a Ben in goal.
  • edited July 2017
    Can't we get more fireworks and stuff for Katrien spending months to secure the loan signing of a reserve keeper from a third division club, come on everyone.....be positive :wink:
  • edited July 2017

TEL said:

Some of 'us' seem to be so stuck in negative mode. We all feel the pain and want change but this is just pathetic. I bet that almost every club (even successful ones) has a forum with a group of incurable miserable bastards. Life will never be good enough for some.
  • Sponsored links:

• You can say that again
  • TEL said:

Do you actually go in the away grounds or just stay in the pub ?. Most grounds tend to make charlton look massive and I suspect the training ground might be just a tad better than a lot of players are used to
  • dickplumb said:

Oh come on - squirrel face did the negotiating. We're probably not only paying his whole wage but have also paid a £500k loan fee.
  • dickplumb said:

I imagine the discussions over how much of that 18k we'd pay were why it took so long both internally and externally.

Don't know much about him but good luck Ben, good name and we always do well with a Ben in goal.
    The terms with the Club were agreed before he travelled on Thursday night. This information came from his agent.

• As someone else said, I'm concerned about his record, which isn't impressive but it is what it is.

Welcome Ben, hope you do well for us.
  • 18 k for a keeper very few have heard of , while Phillips is supposedly on 1500 per week.
    Modern football is insane . Good luck Ben .
  • dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

The terms with the Club were agreed before he travelled on Thursday night. This information came from his agent.

I meant over the whole summer not just this week.

• dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

If Amos is playing today, he must have been signed by then so that he could train with the other players yesterday?
  • TEL said:

Welcome to our future Ben.
  • Good job we did sign him. Dillion is injured. Amos starts against Ipswich.
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:

Good job we did sign him. Dillion is injured. Amos starts against Ipswich.

Or perhaps, Dillon is going on loan to Cheltenham* for the season.

*or any other rumour you want to make up.

• Injured according to os
  • All the very best Ben, welcome to the madhouse!
    Very good signing for us, also better keeper than DR imo.
    We definitely needed another keeper, very happy with this signing.
  • Valley11 said:

Injured according to os

Probably (and understandably) thrown a wobbly at Amos' signing and being told that Amos is going straight into the first team. The "injury" is a smoke screen.
  • Or maybe he is injured which prompted KM to HAVE to part with the wages to secure Amos
  • The negativity and moaning on here can be very draining. Wish some of you would STFU.
  • Valley11 said:

Injured according to os

Sorry, Vally11 - my comment was just meant to be tongue in cheek.
  • Keeper sorted now go and get another winger and striker.
  • Not optimistic about Ben Amos - an anagram of his name is bemoans