Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Amos signs season long loan (ed. Pg 9 - gone Millwall)

Comments

• I would have so much more respect for a player if he said, "Charlton is such an eeny weeney pimple on the arse of a huge fucking elephant sized club..."
  • Richard J said:

I am pleased. He would have worked with Lee Turner at Bolton.

Like Alnwick and Button he probably stayed at a big club too long. Think he will improve with games.

They weren't with us or that long.
  • good keeper .. welcome Ben and all the best of good fortune
  • Looks good on the pitch. Kicks well with both feet.
  • He's looked infinitely better than Bialowski who I've rated in the past.
  • Crusty54 said:

Looks good on the pitch. Kicks well with both feet.

I'm more interested in how his hands work.
  • Crusty54 said:

Looks good on the pitch. Kicks well with both feet.

I'm more interested in how his hands work.
    Very assured handling. Cuts out crosses.
  • I don't like Daisy's "to get everything complete".
  • Rob7Lee said:

underwhelmed....... 27 years old and only once has held the no 1 position for a season, 1 year at Bolton, I think their relegation season. He's been available for a while, no-one else has snapped him up......

Think it's a risk, might work out, but a risk in such a key position. Fingers crossed......

Christ alive Rob.....just who or what were you expecting Peter f'ing Schmeichel?
    Whilst crossing your fingers can you also try to clap the fella on board when he's making his debut.......assuming that's possible as I've not tried it myself!
    Totally agree; some people need to wake up and smell the coffee. We are third division club for gawd's sake . . .not bloody Man Utd!
  • Sponsored links:

• This is a totally average signing for an average club and campaign, on first impressions.

Welcome Ben - I reckon there won't be too much for us to complain about, but not loads to shout about either.
  • Can't really say I know much about him or how good he is but I just hope he turns out to be a great signing, welcome aboard.
  • I actually wanted Martin. Don't know if Amos is better but I liked the fact Martin seemed to want to be here. He sat with Reeves the other day in the Director's Box and travelled with us. It's rare people WANT to play for CAFC and that means something to me.

Plus, at age 31 he is the perfect age while Phillips gets experience, leading to an easy transition down the line.

Oh well, it's what it is.
  • I actually wanted Martin. Don't know if Amos is better but I liked the fact Martin seemed to want to be here. He sat with Reeves the other day in the Director's Box and travelled with us. It's rare people WANT to play for CAFC and that means something to me.

Plus, at age 31 he is the perfect age while Phillips gets experience, leading to an easy transition down the line.

Oh well, it's what it is.

Still reckon we might get Martin as well with Phillips gettif a loan to league 2.
  • I agree, was just an interesting stat. Must have been playing during one of their worst spells.
  • Scoham said:
    What a loser. Let's send him back to Bolton.
  • Wecome Ben, I hope you're a great success. I don't know much about you, but I'm pleased you've joined.
    Anyway ex- Man U & played at U21 level for England from U16-U21, so you must be a talent, even if you've slipped a bit by not playing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Philips can't play like he did in the friendlies and expect us not to bring in a number 1. We need to go up this year. I like Philips and think he has potential but he's not ready yet.

He had two poor games in the early Ireland matches... Who didnt?
  • Martin at the match, Phillips getting about fine despite the supposed injury had a face like a slapped arse. If roly sanctions a deal for Martin, the best Phillips can look forward to will be a hastily arranged loan out. And that's shabby treatment, he deserves better

His ankle was all strapped up, I'd like to see him stay though.
  • Philips can't play like he did in the friendlies and expect us not to bring in a number 1. We need to go up this year. I like Philips and think he has potential but he's not ready yet.

He had two poor games in the early Ireland matches... Who didnt?
    Aribo & KAG (similar young players) played well in all Ireland friendlies but they are not guaranteed a starting place (& are unlikely to get one) but they are not moping around sulking.

If Philips didn't want to spend the beginning of his career not playing many games and learning his trade in training / the reserves then he shouldn't have been a professional goalkeeper. There's stacks of promising 23 year old keepers at clubs who are not the number 1 yet because they are still developing. He fits that exact description and just needs to accept that is how it works (especially when you're a keeper).
  • Not sure Amos is the 6ft 3 man mountain that KR described him as based on this photo.

According to wiki, he is 6'3" and 70kg (11 stone+). So, his height is fine. A bit light in weight, I grant you...
  • PaddyP17 said:

This is a totally average signing for an average club and campaign, on first impressions.

Welcome Ben - I reckon there won't be too much for us to complain about, but not loads to shout about either.

Well we couldn't quite afford Joe Hart's wages and Donnarumma decided to renew his Milan contract.
  • PaddyP17 said:

This is a totally average signing for an average club and campaign, on first impressions.

Well we couldn't quite afford Joe Hart's wages and Donnarumma decided to renew his Milan contract.
    This is a very popular straw man on here at the moment. 'We couldn't get the best players in the world in this position, so you're not allowed to critique any signings at all. We should just all be glad we're allowed to even have footballers'. 'Stop complaining that our new winger is a broomstick with a pair of googly eyes stuck on. Who were you expecting, Messi?'
  • Not at all, i just feel that a guy who used to be at Man utd, capped by England at every level up to U21 and has plenty of experience at a higher level than we currently are, isn't too bad considering some of the shit we've had in recent years.

However on the face of it, yes we are an average league one club, so do we expect anything other than average signings?