Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Music You've Grown To Like

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017

Alice Cooper...when I was young my sister loved him, and as we hated each other like you do when your kids, when that hate sub-sided as you get sensible, then I started to like him.

Was your sister a Europhile by any chance?
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/hosysvl2tnk

Beautiful songs.

He has a lot of crap....but the good stuff is very much 10/10

Can't get enough 
  • Options
    Always been into Rock Music. But of late, I’ve been listening to Groove Armada and Massive Attack. 
  • Options
    Jethro Tull and Creedence Clearwater Revival. Never disliked them as such, but I really get them now
  • Options
    Bluegrass music
    Some years ago I watched the film Oh Brother Where Art Though.
    I really enjoyed the music from the film, and I decided to investigate it more.

From this I went along to a local pub where a band performed a weekly Bluegrass  session. 
    Now I am learning the Bluegrass Banjo, and for the past 5 summers I have attended a fair few Bluegrass weekends all over the country.

i have met a lot of good people and made a number of friends.
  • Options
    Music is so evocative. Depends on my mood a lot of the time. When I was young I was such a music fascist! Now I listen to classical probably more than anything else. I can however go from Greig or Vivaldi to the Sex Pistols and Strangler's in the blink of an eye lid!
  • Options
    Brought up on Dylan and Miles Davis by my dad. My dad also drew my attention to Elvis Costello, David Bowie, Ian Dury and the Sex Pistols in around 1977.  

Discovered John Martyn in 1980 when I was 15 and then branched into folk music (The Bothy Band a particular favourite). Then late 1980s, got into US punk (Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Husker Du). Discovered Kevin Coyne in 1989, and then PJ Harvey, Radiohead, Vic Chesnutt, Sparklehorse, John Cale and Gillian Welch.

Then in 2003, a friend did me all the Beatles stuff and Neil Young, which blew my mind. Always thought I hated The Fabs. Didn’t realise that the seeds of the US punk stuff I liked were sown by The Beatles (really enjoyed the White Album) and Neil Young was also a revelation.

Meanwhile having always dismissed Elvis Presley, my brother did me a tape, and my mind was blown again (I’ve got over 60 of his albums now). 

Later discoveries include Yo La Tengo, and Arctic Monkeys. I had a blues phase (Blind Willie Johnson a favourite) and a Kinks phase.

Then I got introduced to the world of Robert Pollard and Guided by Voices in around 2009 and didn’t listen to much else for a number of years (Pollard has released and recorded over 100 LPs since 1986.)  

Most recently, I’ve been enjoying Joy Division and Siouxsie and the Banshees.

What you realise is there is a hell of a lot of good stuff out there!!
  • Options
    Schubert - recommend The Hyperion Schubert Edition, Vol 6 (Anthony Rolfe & Graham Johnson)
    Leonard Cohen 
  • Options
    Jethro Tull and Creedence Clearwater Revival. Never disliked them as such, but I really get them now
    Love a bit of CCR
  • Options
    Love a bit of CCR
    I'm a relative latecomer to CCR John Fogarty was a brilliant artist. Knew the hits but dug a bit deeper in lockdown and I was hooked 

Also listened to a lot of Pearl Jam and Nirvana b sides and the more obscure stuff. Still don't like em! 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Music is so evocative. Depends on my mood a lot of the time. When I was young I was such a music fascist! Now I listen to classical probably more than anything else. I can however go from Greig or Vivaldi to the Sex Pistols and Strangler's in the blink of an eye lid!

Yeh very true.

I think it also surrounds where the mind travels and vague memories we all have or reminders of past experiences.

I very much enjoy slow songs by rock bands that don't usually go down that route.

Meaningful detailed songs with great rythm. 

• Options
    After years of avoiding the stuff, I’ve started to appreciate some country music, the late John Prine for instance.
  • Options
    My teenage years were in the 90's so I was an indie kid, Oasis, blur, Pulp etc with the Beatles & Kinks thrown in. Now I'm in my 40's I've definitely grown to appreciate the blues like Muddy Waters, Junior Wells but the stuff I hated which I like now is 70's - 80's rock like Black Sabbath, AC/DC. Also one I couldn't stand which I like now, Bruce Springsteen!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Bach choral music.
    Country.
    Abba.

I'm 61 you know.

I said I'm 61.
  • Options
    My Dad was a tradjazz fan and tried to force me down that path, but loud guitars was my thing at that time and I just found it funny old stuff for strange people, however if I hear a George Melly tune now by christ it takes me back. 
  • Options
    Brought up on Dylan and Miles Davis by my dad. My dad also drew my attention to Elvis Costello, David Bowie, Ian Dury and the Sex Pistols in around 1977.  

Discovered John Martyn in 1980 when I was 15 and then branched into folk music (The Bothy Band a particular favourite). Then late 1980s, got into US punk (Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Husker Du). Discovered Kevin Coyne in 1989, and then PJ Harvey, Radiohead, Vic Chesnutt, Sparklehorse, John Cale and Gillian Welch.

Then in 2003, a friend did me all the Beatles stuff and Neil Young, which blew my mind. Always thought I hated The Fabs. Didn’t realise that the seeds of the US punk stuff I liked were sown by The Beatles (really enjoyed the White Album) and Neil Young was also a revelation.

Meanwhile having always dismissed Elvis Presley, my brother did me a tape, and my mind was blown again (I’ve got over 60 of his albums now)

Later discoveries include Yo La Tengo, and Arctic Monkeys. I had a blues phase (Blind Willie Johnson a favourite) and a Kinks phase.

Then I got introduced to the world of Robert Pollard and Guided by Voices in around 2009 and didn’t listen to much else for a number of years (Pollard has released and recorded over 100 LPs since 1986.)  

Great post. The bit I'm amazed at is the number Elvis Albums. That's twice as many as The Fall (my personal gauge of prolificacy), and his recording years were limited to less than 25. I'm guessing that must include a number lives, bootlegs and re-ordered best ofs. 
  • Options
    Pink Floyd
    Classical music
    Opera
  • Options
    Drill. It’s the future.
  • Options
    Luciano Pavarotti.
  • Options

Opinions on this song?

I hope I'm not the only one who has a feeling for it

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    My musical taste has got more eclectic as i have got older. 

When you are young you tend to associate music with everything you experience. For me, just too young for punk, but heavily influenced by the Two Tone and Mod revival era.

Now I tend to go on what I call "A YouTube safari", where i listen to something that then leads me to anything else suggested on the right hand side. Before you know 4 or 5 hours later you have listened to virtually every type of genre of music from the last 70 years.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Meanwhile having always dismissed Elvis Presley, my brother did me a tape, and my mind was blown again (I’ve got over 60 of his albums now)

Great post. The bit I'm amazed at is the number Elvis Albums. That's twice as many as The Fall (my personal gauge of prolificacy), and his recording years were limited to less than 25. I'm guessing that must include a number lives, bootlegs and re-ordered best ofs. 
    Just checked: it’s actually 46 albums (but 63 cds) made up of 14 studio albums, 11 live albums, 9 box sets, 7 compilations and 5 others. No bootlegs though!
  • Options
    U2.

It’s fashionable to put them down, but their songwriting is a level above pretty much anything you’d find regularly in the charts nowadays.