Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What are YOUR desert island discs?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I’m sure my five will change by this afternoon but here goes:
    (1) Led Zep - Kashmir
    (2) The Who - Amazing Journey/Sparks (Live at Leeds)
    (3) Deep Purple - Lazy (Made in Japan)
    (4) Mahler - Der Abschied (Das Lied Von Der Erde)
    (5) Bowie - The Width of a Circle (David Live)
  • Options
    Almost impossible but here goes:

The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter (the greatest track from the greatest band)
    Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (pretty much perfect, especially the second guitar solo)
    Cream - Crossroads (Clapton at his very best)
    Bob Dylan - Tangled up in Blue (there's probably a dozen Dylan tracks I could choose but right now this one)
    Led Zeppelin - Kashmir (for Plant's singing alone)
  • Options
    (1) Sunday Morning - Velvet Underground (VU and Nico)
    (2) Candyman - Grateful Dead (American Beauty)
    (3) Free Money - Patti Smith Group (Horses)
    (4) Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young with or without Crazy Horse (several albums)
    (5) Famous Blue Raincoat - Leonard Cohen (Songs of Love and Hate)
    In no particular order...
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    It always changes but I would go with the first record I bought for starters and go for variety:

1) Mr Blue Sky ELO
    2) Metal Guru T Rex
    3) Everyday Buddy Holly
    4) Tutti Frutti Little Richard
    5) Rock the Casbah The Clash
  • Options
    1) Time - Pink Floyd, greatest fucking song ever made.
    2) Venice Queen - Red hot chili peppers, best song on their best album
    3) Graceland - Paul Simon, that first minute is fucking beautiful and reminds me of my parents.
    4) Adieu - Enter Shikari, don't really rate ES but that song is the bomb.
    5) Guerrilla Radio - Rage Against the Machine, reminds me of being 11 years old and hopelessly trying to learn how to skateboard (and failing) also great to rock the fuck out too.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I’m sure my five will change by this afternoon but here goes:
    (1) Led Zep - Kashmir
    (2) The Who - Amazing Journey/Sparks (Live at Leeds)
    (3) Deep Purple - Lazy (Made in Japan)
    (4) Mahler - Der Abschied (Das Lied Von Der Erde)
    (5) Bowie - The Width of a Circle (David Live)

Damn - I forgot:
    In a broken dream - Python lee Jackson
    Layla - Derek and the Dominoes

• Options
    I'd think differently tomorrow but today

Funny Valentine. Ella Fitzgerald
    Great balls of fire..Jerry Lee Lewis
    Still waters run deep....four tops
    Your song ...Elton John
    American pie..don McLean
  • Options
    This would change from day to day, tried to cast the net wide

Pressure Drop - Toots and the Maytals
    This Old Heart of Mine - Isley Brothers
    Reward - Teardrop Explodes
    Hurt - Johnny Cash
    Wide Open Road - The Triffids
    City and the Stars - Spiro
    Revolutionary Spirit - The Wild Swans
    Use It UP, Wear it Out - Oddysey
  • Options
    rananegra said:

This would change from day to day, tried to cast the net wide

Pressure Drop - Toots and the Maytals
    This Old Heart of Mine - Isley Brothers
    Reward - Teardrop Explodes
    Hurt - Johnny Cash
    Wide Open Road - The Triffids
    City and the Stars - Spiro
    Revolutionary Spirit - The Wild Swans
    Use It UP, Wear it Out - Oddysey

20 years ago I bet you thought that we beat Southampton 8-0 too!

Some great choices though esepcially "Hurt" and "This Old Heart of Mine".
  • Options
    I've just gone back over this thread, and my top four choices will likely remain the same for the foreseeable future:

1) Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand
    2) George Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue
    3) Billy Cotton - The Red Red Robin
    4) Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby (Take 2), from the album of the same name/the Village Vanguard recordings in 1961

But that fifth choice - the Wagner - may be superseded at some point. Actually, it's likely to be. Contenders include:

- The Beach Boys - God Only Knows
    - Debussy - Arabesque No. 1, or Clair de lune (obvious, I know)
    - Vivaldi - Spring, from the Four Seasons
    - Beethoven - Symphony No. 6 Pastorale, I. Allegro ma non troppo
    - Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pts 1-5, or The Great Gig in the Sky
    - Miles Davis - So What (but there's so much of his stuff I could choose... Milestones, Seven Steps to Heaven, Stella By Starlight...)
    - The Beatles (no idea what, but there's a LOT of choice)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I kind of took the “my all time favourites” which would be close to my DIDs but there’s not a lot of sentiment attached. I need to rethink of those songs that earmarked stages of my life. One song would get a mention is “Little White Bull” by Tommy Steele or another of my favourite of his is “Put a ring on her finger” both remind me of when I lived in the Old Kent Road where I was born. I still have the 45!
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I kind of took the “my all time favourites” which would be close to my DIDs but there’s not a lot of sentiment attached. I need to rethink of those songs that earmarked stages of my life. One song would get a mention is “Little White Bull” by Tommy Steele or another of my favourite of his is “Put a ring on her finger” both remind me of when I lived in the Old Kent Road where I was born. I still have the 45!

Good point. I would need to include Talking to an Angel - Eurythmics, otherwise my missus would kill me!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I've just gone back over this thread, and my top four choices will likely remain the same for the foreseeable future:

4) Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby (Take 2), from the album of the same name/the Village Vanguard recordings in 1961

But that fifth choice - the Wagner - may be superseded at some point. Actually, it's likely to be. Contenders include:

- Miles Davis - So What (but there's so much of his stuff I could choose... Milestones, Seven Steps to Heaven, Stella By Starlight...)

You've now gone way up in my estimation after that Taylor Swift nonsense.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

PaddyP17 said:

Hey, I'll listen to anything. That includes Taylor Swift, which is very bubblegum for me and a bit of fun, and I think she's a decent songwriter (for the record I didn't agree with all of the article, interesting as it was) - but is she one of the heavyweights?

Absolutely not.

The good stuff is above. Led Zeppelin's hit-you-in-the-face power combined with masterful songwriting and four generational musical talents; *THE* harmonic reformer of jazz language in Bill Evans; the titan of Gershwin who married jazz/contemporary, classical, and all sorts and wrote innumerable popular songs; and the incomparable, indelible Red Red Robin that is the first song I ever knew and - obviously - the one tune I'd demand was played at my funeral?

Yeah, I might like 22 by Taylor Swift; or Africa by Toto; or This Love by Maroon 5, but it's never going to transcend a singular emotion or musical feeling like the others do, time and time again.

Music's just the best, isn't it?
  • Options
    Bonobo - black sands
    Chemical brothers - elektrobank
    UNKLE - rabbit in the headlight
    Dizzee Rascal - brand new day
    Wookie - Battle
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

IdleHans said:

PaddyP17 said:

Hey, I'll listen to anything. That includes Taylor Swift, which is very bubblegum for me and a bit of fun, and I think she's a decent songwriter (for the record I didn't agree with all of the article, interesting as it was) - but is she one of the heavyweights?

Absolutely not.

The good stuff is above. Led Zeppelin's hit-you-in-the-face power combined with masterful songwriting and four generational musical talents; *THE* harmonic reformer of jazz language in Bill Evans; the titan of Gershwin who married jazz/contemporary, classical, and all sorts and wrote innumerable popular songs; and the incomparable, indelible Red Red Robin that is the first song I ever knew and - obviously - the one tune I'd demand was played at my funeral?

Yeah, I might like 22 by Taylor Swift; or Africa by Toto; or This Love by Maroon 5, but it's never going to transcend a singular emotion or musical feeling like the others do, time and time again.

Music's just the best, isn't it?
    Africa is absolute quality. I liked Hold the line as well. I'd have a totally different 5 every time I was asked to be honest so much good stuff
  • Options
    Morcheeba - The Sea
    Jimmy Cliff - You can get it if you really want
    Johnny Cash - Hurt
    Hank Williams - I'm so lonesome I could cry
    Rival Sons - Electric man
  • Options
    The Smiths - Hand in Glove. There is a live version of this on youtube which was filmed for the old grey whistle test at Glasgow Barrowlands 1985 I believe, awesome.

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead - title track to the best album ever recorded (in my opinion). Has everything, Killer intro and lyrics that range from laugh out loud funny to melancholic.

The Wedding Present - Swimming Pools, Movie Stars - Love the Wedding Present, great live and were hugely under-rated

Morrissey - Suedehead - Triumphant

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Servo - love this song, have only really started to discover BJM and find some of it hit and miss but could listen to this song over and over again.

• Options
    Genesis - Supper's Ready
    Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Pink Floyd - Echoes
    Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells Part One
    Yes - Close To The Edge

A very prog selection, only chosen because they are the longest songs that I like and would therefore kill a lot more time than a few three and a half minute tracks!

Don't think they'll ever ask me onto a specially extended edition of the programme!
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Blimey what great songs. I will go with:
    Positively 42nd Street-Bob Dylan.
    In my Life-Beatles/John Lennon
    Eve-Jim Capaldi
    I would rather go blind-Etta James
    Tapestry-Carole King
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1,ELP ,Fanfair for the Common man (Copeland) Proper Proper Drum and Bass.
    2,American Pie , 14yrs old, Still thinking i might be able to play pro.!
    3,Beethoven 9th , The whole damn thing!
    4,Comfortably Numb, will be played when i go through the curtains at the end.
    5,Valley Floyd Rd, When we sing it properly, it moves me to tears
  • Options
    Dreams - fleetwood mac
    Pimper’s Paradise - Bob Marley and the Wailers
    Hurricane - Bob Dylan
    Babies - Pulp
    Here comes the sun - The Beatles
  • Options
    Lonnie Donegan – Always from the Heart
    Scott Engel : Jackie
    Jussi Bjoerling and Robert Merrill : Pearl Fishers’ duet, Bizet
    Joan Baez : Love is just a four-letter word
    Buddy Holly : Take your time
    Pierre Bachelet : Les Corons
    Albert Lee and the Refreshments : I’m ready
    Mark Knopfler : Telegraph Road
    There are dozens of personal reasons why I choose these.I was at Roan with Albert;I recorded one of buddy's songs;Lonnie inspired so many of us to pick up a guitar;Pierre Bachlet comes form up the road from my home in France;I could go on but these are the songs I play most....