Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What are YOUR desert island discs?

Comments

• Options
    Great to see Debussy get a mention.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Either Arabesque No. 1 (as played by Francois-Joel Thiollier) or Clair de Lune (cliche I know - as played by Stephen Malinowski though with his graphical score if I can bend the rules a bit) would make it into my top eight, most likely. He's probably the reason why I'm drawn to impressionism and creating sound-worlds rather than straight-ahead bop, when I'm improvising.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

McBobbin said:

Either Arabesque No. 1 (as played by Francois-Joel Thiollier) or Clair de Lune (cliche I know - as played by Stephen Malinowski though with his graphical score if I can bend the rules a bit) would make it into my top eight, most likely. He's probably the reason why I'm drawn to impressionism and creating sound-worlds rather than straight-ahead bop, when I'm improvising.
    The La Mer suite for me, though I'm not a pianist. Arabesque is a great piece of music and must be fun to play
  • Options
    OK tough one and going by Jimmy's rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLg2zFGKqNQ
    Reward - Teardrop Explodes. Seeing this on Saturday morning TV totally switched me on to music. I went from being a bit aware of music to fanatical immediately. It was almost certainly a case of right place right time for both me and the song. There are other songs from that period (and even the band) I like more, but this is the one that reminds me of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJRP3LRcUFg
    This Charming Man - The Smiths. Being 18. Being independent. Liking something that had more melody than the stuff all my punk mates liked. Reminds me of being the square peg in the round hole, which is where I often find myself. And what guitar work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNjQFbC_lQk
    When I'm Up I Can't Get Down - Oyster Band. Mental illness has been a big deal in my life, mainly through people I've been close to. A song that celebrates the positives as well as the negatives (in this case of bipolar).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpMho0pQhiM
    Suffering in the Land - Jimmy Cliff. Thought long and hard over this one. The Jimmy Cliff tape in my car has worn out and it takes me back to journeys with my kids and my daughter in particular, who heard it as "Submarine in the Land" when eally little. I hear it as that now as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2V0z5Ke24E
    The City and the Stars - Spiro. My son's favourite. Tremendously moving piece of music, played by a raver and a couple of old punks on traditional acoustic instruments.

This would probably change daily. And it's tough sticking to 5.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Sir Mix-a-lot - Square Dance Rap. Used to listen to Mike Allen on Capital Radio after I was bought an all in one radio and record player and I got hooked on Electro and Hip Hop. One of the first records I bought which grew to become a bit of an addiction to buying vinyl. Bought it in Elpees in Orpington high street. I remember when De La Souls 3 feet high and rising came out and going to Elpees only to find out they didn't have it on vinyl so had to make do with the cassette version which I proudly wore out.

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Sprit. Remember seeing this video on MTV and came at a perfect time when I was getting bored of all the gangster shit in Hip Hop and was hooked. My all time favourite band ( and started my love of all things grunge ) which I managed to see at the Reading Festival in '92 and I became a bit obsessed with them. When Cobain killed himself it was the end of my fascination with a specific band because I was gutted for months after it had happened.

Capricorn - 20hz. A classic techno track. Every time I hear this a shiver goes down my back and reminds me of the glory days of nightclubbing and train spotting all the different tunes I recognized which I also had to buy. Started off by going out to clubs playing house music then graduating to trance and techno at clubs like Lost and eventually moving up the ladder to Harcore techno and all the dodgy underground clubs dotted around Brixton which included the Dead By Dawn nights at the 121 club in Railton Road ( a squat on the corner of Railton Road ).

The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds. A record that was my gateway into Electronica and dance music. It also reminds me of when I used to work late night shifts and I would get home at 3 or 4 in the morning, turn on the TV and watch Space Night which was a series of videos shot from a satellite that would film the earth from space with some lovely ambient tunes.

Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond parts I - V. Somewhere around early 1991 I bumped into an old school friend in the Keston Mark who I hadn't seen in a few years who had an older brother, Paul, who was having a night out before going away to India for 9 months. Ended up going out to Club UK which kick started my obsession with dance music and the clubbing scene. When Paul returned from his trip we had a night round his telling us all about his time in India and we were listening to Pink Floyd's WIsh You Were Here ( who I had never heard of at the time ). This song stood out for me and it was the beginning of a great friendship that lasted for 20 years.
  • Options
    impossible to pick 5 and on another day my 5 would be totally different, but for now

Let's Stay Together - Al Green, wedding first dance - love the song and always have done
    Zoom - Fat Larry's Band - favourite ever song
    Higher Love - Steve Winwood
    Oasis - Acquiesce - favourite band
    Danny Wilson - Mary's Prayer (one of them songs I keep hearing on the radio lately and realise I love it when driving)

on another day they could all be different !, I have so many varied musical taste's, could easily pick 5 alone for the Beatles / Oasis / Elvis etc
  • Options
    Good Times - Chic. Sums up my life since retirement!
    Give it UP - KC and the Sunshine Band. Great holiday in the 80's Tenerife!
    Same Old Song - 4 Tops. Best Motown group ever!
    Everything I own - Bread. Brilliant words!
    Time is Tight - Booker T and the MGs. Memories of the Cats Whiskers in early 70's!
  • Options

Time is Tight - Booker T and the MGs. Memories of the Cats Whiskers in early 70's!

Love Bread. Another band that reminds me of my childhood
  • Options
    Bliss - muse
    Young mother - curved air
    The Victim - headeast
    Understand. - steve harley
    Clown - argent.

Bonus track

Gutter ballet - savatage.

Connection ... All to do with mrs and kids.

Google and listen to them, phenomenal tracks.
  • Options

Was gonna have good times instrumental as one of mine as then you have the core of the crown by Gary Byrd and the GB experience, Rappers Delight by the sugar hill gang amongst others.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now.
    Nina - Baltimore.
    Kathleen Ferrer - What Is Life To Me Without Thee.
    Elmore James - It Hurts Me Too.
    Bob Dylan- Your Going To Make Me Lonesome When You Go
  • Options
    Amazing that nobody has picked the Beatles or the Stones so far.
  • Options
    Jints said:

If it was albums, I'd quite possibly have a couple
  • Options
    Jints said:

Was thinking that too and realised that although I'm a huge Beatles fan and they're probably my favourite band, I'm not sure if they would feature on my desert island disc list.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Kooks- David Bowie
    Starman- David Bowie
    Cracked Actor- David Bowie
    Young Americans- David Bowie
    Station to Station- David Bowie

Or more or less any track off any Bowie album from 1970-80!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    These aren't necessarily my all out favourite tracks (they change pretty frequently anyway) but I figure I'll want to be reminded of good things in my life if I ever find myself stuck on a desert island.

Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks
    - Grew up listening to the Kinks, reminds me of my Dad.
    Somewhere Only We Know by Keane - Make me think of my wife and how some of my happiest moments with her have been when we've been on holiday and just found a quite track or road and followed it to some spot where we were the only signs of human life for an hour or two.
    Let Down by Radiohead - This one is on the list because I love it and I can listen to it over and over, the way the melody builds always just makes me feel.
    Last Stop This Town by Eels - double reason, love the song and I think the idea I might see my loved ones one more time, even if they can't see me, might just help keep me sane.
    The Wire by HAIM - first song my daughter danced to and everytime I hear it I can see her boogieing around the kitchen with her bum stuck out like some kind of mini-Beyonce. A real happy memory to get me through the long cold nights.

Luxury - access to Roland's live feed so I can still keep up with the Football.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Thinking again, that Justin Timberlake song that goes "dance dance dance" not really my taste but my girls go barmy for it... So many happy memories.

I also used to drive to Charlton listening to meatloaf... We'd normally get halfway through Life is a Lemon. Would always be football on radio 5 on the way home, so that theme tune goes up the list
  • Options
    Favourite tracks change on an almost daily basis. All I can say is that while I'm typing this post my top five are:

Always look on the Bright side of Life - Monty Python. If ever there was a song that epitomised, life this is it.

Won't get fooled again - The Who. I'm torn between so many great Townshend songs but today, I go with this over Behind Blue eyes, Baba O'Riley, Slip kid, 5.15, Bell boy, My Generation, I can't explain...............

In your Eyes - Peter Gabriel. I've always love the album SO, this track in particular. I saw PG at Earls court and this was the outstanding song of the night, complete with guest performance of Yossou N'Dour.

Heroes - David bowie - Bowie has always held a fascination for me since I first heart Space Oddity. followed him through ziggy, Alladdin, Thin White duke through to global megastar. I chose Heroes not only because it's a great song with a great production but it will always remind me of the 2012 Olympic opening ceremony with this blaring out of the PA as the GB team hit the stadium.

One more.

I can't decide whether to pick something from the past or leave a space for my next favourite which is yet to be recorded. I guess going by the rules I should choose so:

Thinking out loud - Ed Sheeran. Not everyones cup of tea but I like a lot of Eds songs. This struck a romantic chord with the first time I heard it.

I think the first four will always feature in my list of favourites. Whether Ed will remain only time will tell.

But there you go.
  • Options

Favourite tracks change on an almost daily basis. All I can say is that while I'm typing this post my top five are:

Always look on the Bright side of Life - Monty Python. If ever there was a song that epitomised, life this is it.

Won't get fooled again - The Who. I'm torn between so many great Townshend songs but today, I go with this over Behind Blue eyes, Baba O'Riley, Slip kid, 5.15, Bell boy, My Generation, I can't explain...............

In your Eyes - Peter Gabriel. I've always love the album SO, this track in particular. I saw PG at Earls court and this was the outstanding song of the night, complete with guest performance of Yossou N'Dour.

Heroes - David bowie - Bowie has always held a fascination for me since I first heart Space Oddity. followed him through ziggy, Alladdin, Thin White duke through to global megastar. I chose Heroes not only because it's a great song with a great production but it will always remind me of the 2012 Olympic opening ceremony with this blaring out of the PA as the GB team hit the stadium.

One more.

I can't decide whether to pick something from the past or leave a space for my next favourite which is yet to be recorded. I guess going by the rules I should choose so:

Thinking out loud - Ed Sheeran. Not everyones cup of tea but I like a lot of Eds songs. This struck a romantic chord with the first time I heard it.

I think the first four will always feature in my list of favourites. Whether Ed will remain only time will tell.

But there you go.

'Won't get fooled again' is arguably one of the greatest songs of protest and politics ever, and a brilliant song in itself. Somehow for me, given the desert island setting, it may not be, kind of, needed.

Great song tho, must be said.
  • Options

Ace of Spades - Motörhead
    Enter Sandman - Metallica
    Step on - Happy Mondays
    Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley
    Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana

No surprise with the Elvis number Mr Otto.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

One more.

But there you go.

'Won't get fooled again' is arguably one of the greatest songs of protest and politics ever, and a brilliant song in itself. Somehow for me, given the desert island setting, it may not be, kind of, needed.

So, maybe I SHOULD have chosen Baba O'Riley! Still a defiant song.
  • Options
    Live Forever - Oasis
    That's Entertainment - The Jam
    Room 414 - The Wonder Stuff
    Don't stop me now - Queen
    Losing my religion - REM
  • Options
    seth plum said:

One more.

But there you go.

Would be a great song for the festival when the regime finally moves on. I sincerely hope that the new boss is very much different to the old boss though.
  • Options
    Earth Anthem - The Turtles. This should actually be Earths Anthem a haunting song that should make everyone think about what we are doing to our Planet. Home - Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. About the futility of war. Loving you again - Chris Rea. For my wife. Fortunate Son - Creedance Clearwater Revival. Just love their music.
    Tough Guys - REO Speedwagon. Love these as well.
  • Options
    Love will tear us apart - Joy Division
    Live Forever - Oasis
    There is a light - The Smiths
    Spaceman - The Killers
    Do I wanna know - Arctic Monkeys
  • Options
    In the beginning, for me, there was Elvis Costello over 40 years worth of material but if I had to choose one it would be Suit of Lights

A deeply personal one next. In the late 80s, the pub Fixx in Glasgow ran free gigs every Wednesday for local bands. I used to go with my late girlfriend, Carol, most weeks and saw the likes of Texas, Deacon Blue, The Big Dish, etc. cut their teeth. Our favourite band though was Hearts and Minds who never made it big. Not long after Carol died the band became The Pearlfishers and my favourite song of theirs is Stella Painted Joy which always makes me smile and have a wee greet.

Hard to choose one song from my favourite band of all time, Richmond Fontaine but I'll plump for Polaroid which they played for me at the Luminaire in Kilburn when they played over 2 nights and I badgered them to play the song because I was staying in the same fleapit guest house as them.

Through his playing support to Richmond Fontaine, I "discovered" Peter Bruntnell and his Mister Sunshine is a scathing indictment of Messrs Trump and Salmond, so what's not to like?

Finally, a London band who are my favourite live act, Danny and the Champions. I was priviliged to be at the Jazz Cafe on the night they recorded a live album and I love the version of Henry the Van they played that night.

With the exception of The Pearlfishers, I've been lucky enought to catch all these bands playing live in London when I've been down at Charlton games and let me tell you I've often needed cheering up after a visit to The Valley!
  • Options

The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations - They used to say this record was 10 years ahead of it's time. It actually stands outside of any time. A patchwork quilt of different musical segments stitched together into an astonishingly cohesive whole by the genius that is Brian Wilson.

@Six-a-bag-of-nuts im currently watching Beach Boys: Good Vibrations Tour on Sky Arts. That song is just an absolute monster classic. Never ever tire of hearing it
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Tristan and Isolde Prelude - Richard Wagner

Love over lovers
    https://youtu.be/fktwPGCR7Yw

Ne me quitte pas - Jaques Brel
    My Dad
    https://youtu.be/Vz6r0TP4FBI

Pathetique sonata - L.V. Beethoven

My piano
    https://youtu.be/SrcOcKYQX3c

Isfahan - Billy Strayhorn
    Billy the brave
    https://youtu.be/oNZDQdPq7uI

Errol - Meir Ariel
    Kibbutznick's tears
    https://youtu.be/yfNFKvQ8Iu0
  • Options
    As this thread has been bumped it would be rude not to post:

Miracles - Jefferson Starship
    Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
    Killing Me Softly With His Song - Lori Lieberman
    Sweet Gene Vincent - Ian Dury
    American Pie - Don McLean
  • Options
    As others have said choices vary according to mood.

Today:

1) Catch A Falling Star Perry Como - My late mother always said this was the first song I tried to sing to her. So this would remind me of her.

2) The Red Red Robin Billy Cotton - A reminder of 55 years of agony and ecstasy some of which has been spent with family members with us and no longer with us.

3) Watching The Wheels John Lennon - This song always seemed to be on the juke box of a little bar my wife and I spent hours in pre children.

4) Sounds of Silence Simon And Garfunkel - There are others but seeing Paul Simon sing this at Hyde Park back in July was particularly memorable.

5) If I'm allowed I'd like Richard Burton's version of Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas