Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 25th May 1998. Charlton 4 Sunderland 4 - YOUR ACCOUNTS

Comments

• Options

Jo

Jon Champion has the propensity to be quite an annoying commentator, but his calling of that's days event is the definitive version imho... well... aside from Mike Mansfield and Paddy Powell. They've missed his best line off that clip though - "The concept of defeat is quite beyond Charlton's sensibilities".
    Peter Drury is the commentator on that clip mate. He did the ITV commentary for the highlights programme that was shown on the evening of 25 May.
  • Options
    Chills.
  • Options
    Drunk. Been home half an hour. Put "The Greatest Game" on. Bought it ages ago, never watched it though. Heavily patronised in the build up waffle - Arsenal, Newcastle and Liverpool amongst 80+ clubs with a lower record crowd than us, so shut up. Our team is beautiful, and Mendoca's first goal is world class.
  • Options
    1-0 to the Londoners! Why don't we sing that anymore?!
  • Options
    Great day with 5 minutes to go wandered who i should avoid the next day, and the rest is history.

Sunderland fans were great on the way home also, met a few who wernt bitter or nasty at all. My resounding memory is of their forth goal it was like muted applause as if they thought it was inevitable we would equalise.
  • Options
    We met some proper Lary Sunderland fans on the way home, I had my nephew on my shoulders and one still wanted a pop,
  • Options
    We went to a pub in greenwich which was opening early and serving beers and brekkie from 9am which was unusual, possibly illegal then. A bloke from the pub was driving a mini bus to Wembley. I cant remember which pub, would love to know if anyone else from here went to that pub and has some memories if it. My group of mates didnt get the minibus back as we decided to head back to Charlton to celebrate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Was at work.

I was stil at work. Time doesn't change my memories of the day.
    Think I was working that day.........
  • Options
    I was definitely working that day, not a bank holiday in Cairo, then went and watched (2 hour time difference was handy) the whole thing down The British Club - magical, especially as I knew my eldest was there.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

1-0 to the Londoners! Why don't we sing that anymore?!

We did at Blackpool last season in the during the 3-nil win...
  • Options
    Ties with England v Germany, W C final 1966 as the greatest game ever played at Wembley, at least during my lifetime .. I think
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Jo

Jon Champion has the propensity to be quite an annoying commentator, but his calling of that's days event is the definitive version imho... well... aside from Mike Mansfield and Paddy Powell. They've missed his best line off that clip though - "The concept of defeat is quite beyond Charlton's sensibilities".
    Peter Drury is the commentator on that clip mate. He did the ITV commentary for the highlights programme that was shown on the evening of 25 May.
    That'll probably be why he wasn't annoying then!
  • Options
    Bank Holiday Monday 17 years ago today.
  • Options
    Just been having a cuppa in the kitchen and casting my mind back 17 years. Id love to relive that day. Every bit of it was special. Even walking down well hall road at about 8am to get the bus being tooted at because i had my cafc shirt on.
  • Options
    When Rufus equalised my teenage daughter burst into tears.......'I just can't take any more.........'
  • Options
    Had to be done, lid on the head photo.
  • Options
    18 Years now...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of the best days of my life, always to be remembered.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Apart from my kids being born got to be the best day I've ever had , just brought a tear to my eye , honestly can't believe Wots happened to our club .
  • Options
    Goosebumps watching that , still think we'll blow it or someone will miss a pen
  • Options
    Back from Spain the day before feeling very, I'll call it worn out, when ever Michael Gray comes on the box it still makes me smile.
  • Options
    and my millwall tourettes kicked in when i saw Alex Rae "millwall c**t" just popped out before i could think
  • Options

Had to be done, lid on the head photo.

How buttons did suits have back then? Blimey!
  • Options
    You need to ready this post Miere!