Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The word "we" and Charlton Athletic.

I may have a problem explaining what I feel nowadays about using the word.....so bear with me.
I always had the feeling that it was a perfectly normal thing to say we when referring to our club but in many aspects it's no longer a fit for purpose expression.
For example when us fans say....."We did a good bit of business in the transfer market today"....do we really mean that, or do we mean Duchatalet did a good bit of business for his football empire and bizarre unfathomable scheme. So who exactly is we?
When referring to the team the word still fits of course but to include Duchatalet or Meires involvement in anything we do as we.....is frankly not appropriate......they are not part of my idea of how I want Charlton to be run in any shape or form.....so to include them or anything they do by the usage of the word we is for me incorrect.
Not sure I have explained myself very well, it's all a bit left field......but I know what I mean.
Oh well I tried.....LOL!

Comments

• Options
    What pub are we meeting in..
  • Options

What pub are we meeting in..

The one I just came out of....LOL!
  • Options
    You're a customer
  • Options
    I think they're poo rather than we
  • Options
    It will always be We even with Douche and Rat Face in charge. I'm not such a happy We with those two running (sorry ruining) our club, but my feelings for CAFC will never change.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Douchbag has taken a lot from us in his time in charge.
    Our championship status.
    A United fanbase.
    Our belief in gaining promotion.
    Etc etc etc .
    But he won't be here forever and when he departs WE can all start saying WE again and say it with feeling

I agree but he really has made me lose a lot of interest in our club over the past few years. When new owners do come in I will of course be back at the Valley supporting the team but I don't know if my passion will ever be as strong as it was before under Powell management days. RD has done lasting damage - it's not as simple as when he goes everything will be fine.
  • Options
    If you aren't going to the games, or boycotting in some way, you have every right to not use the term "we".

However, you have no right to think you should stop those who are still going to games, buying shirts, programmes etc from using the term "we" when referring to Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dizzee said:

Douchbag has taken a lot from us in his time in charge.
    Our championship status.
    A United fanbase.
    Our belief in gaining promotion.
    Etc etc etc .
    But he won't be here forever and when he departs WE can all start saying WE again and say it with feeling

I agree but he really has made me lose a lot of interest in our club over the past few years. When new owners do come in I will of course be back at the Valley supporting the team but I don't know if my passion will ever be as strong as it was before under Powell management days. RD has done lasting damage - it's not as simple as when he goes everything will be fine.
    I agree with you and the sad thing is that some fans may well be lost forever.
    Not me and you though hopefully.
  • Options
    OK...

I really don't understand...

Is someone employing thumb screws to use the term "we"?

As far as I can see, if you don't support Charlton, you could still call them "we"...

If you do support Charlton, I don't see I bye-law or anything that says you have to say "we"...

So, why can't we all just do what we're comfortable with?
  • Options
    When I hear or read fans of big clubs saying 'we' I find it laughable. Don't see how they could possibly identify with a billion pound corporate football machine or claim to be a part of it.

Not sure I can argue this case particularly well (I've no idea where I'd draw the line in it) but that's my reaction. I'll never not refer to Charlton as 'we'. We've been through too much for that. Not results and performances, but actual, literal support.
  • Options

If you aren't going to the games, or boycotting in some way, you have every right to not use the term "we".

However, you have no right to think you should stop those who are still going to games, buying shirts, programmes etc from using the term "we" when referring to Charlton.

OK...

I really don't understand...

Is someone employing thumb screws to use the term "we"?

As far as I can see, if you don't support Charlton, you could still call them "we"...

If you do support Charlton, I don't see I bye-law or anything that says you have to say "we"...

So, why can't we all just do what we're comfortable with?

Blimey, I thought the original post was hard to fathom.
  • Options
    I have always eschewed the we when talking about Charlton. Unless talking about the fans.

So I'd be saying after a win "Charlton did well, and we outsang them" (the opposing fans that is.) etc.
  • Options
    Our club, therefore WE is most appropriate
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I'll of course go on saying we.....and though it will be awkward I'll try not to refer to Charlton as we, with anything to do with the regime.
    RD or KM.....they are not worthy of being included in the term we.......they are NOT and never will be part of us.
  • Options
    We are Charlton Athletic and as long as we are there that won't change. Roland's just the current guy keeping the seat warm and picking up the tab until the next guy comes along. It beats me why so many people are getting upset with that fact.
  • Options
    "We" are Charlton, they are not.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

"We" are Charlton, they are not.

In five years time, we will still be supporting our club. They will be long gone!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I don't use we now, because I can't bear the association with the cretins in control. I look forward to the day when I can say we again.
  • Options
    I use the word we - but don't include them in the we. :)
  • Options

Previously, CAFC (the 'Fans') and CAFC (its Management and Players) were, whilst separate, very inter-linked. The word 'We' was apt for those times. It expressed unity and a common purpose. Now, with those two entities - 'Fans' and Management / Players - distanced by circumstance (suspicion, money, animosity, etc.) the word 'We' is no longer apt and has been replaced by two words: 'Us' and 'Them'.
    As has been said before, much of this discord was avoidable. What we got, however, was 'Do It This Way'. (Which was not our way). All so sad.

You put it much better than me AK......well done, that is exactly what I was trying to say but couldn't quite explain myself clearly.
  • Options

I may have a problem explaining what I feel nowadays about using the word.....so bear with me.
    I always had the feeling that it was a perfectly normal thing to say we when referring to our club but in many aspects it's no longer a fit for purpose expression.
    For example when us fans say....."We did a good bit of business in the transfer market today"....do we really mean that, or do we mean Duchatalet did a good bit of business for his football empire and bizarre unfathomable scheme. So who exactly is we?
    When referring to the team the word still fits of course but to include Duchatalet or Meires involvement in anything we do as we.....is frankly not appropriate......they are not part of my idea of how I want Charlton to be run in any shape or form.....so to include them or anything they do by the usage of the word we is for me incorrect.
    Not sure I have explained myself very well, it's all a bit left field......but I know what I mean.
    Oh well I tried.....LOL!

100% how I feel.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

You're weird. When you go to dinner and the service is poor and the food isn't very good do you say "We were a crap restaurant"?

Is that directed at me?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Stig said:

I don't use we now, because I can't bear the association with the cretins in control. I look forward to the day when I can say we again.

Me too. About a year ago I started talking about "Charlton" when talking to supporters of other clubs, whereas previously I would admit to being a Charlton supporter, tolerate the banter, then talk about we and us...but there was always pride there and there would be respect except from idiots. Now I mostly hear " Jesus. Car crash, what happened there, used tobe a decent club" and a shake of the head.
  • Options
    The word We is used as a family word in football....I no longer use it any conservation about this Belgium club