Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC Salary Controversy

Comments

• I genuinely don't think it's a coincidence that the government announce they're extending the pension age for a load of people at the same time as this.

DING, DING, DING...we have a winner everyone!

Whilst everyone and all the front pages are getting their frillies in a twist over which Strictly presenter gets more than the other, our government has released its intent to make 6 million people wait longer for their pension than they thought they would.

There's not even a thread on here relating to it for example and I expect as a demographic plenty on here are effected.

Playing us for mugs...and its worked.
    Like labours infamous mail during 7-7.
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

If the alt-right on here hate James O'B then he's doing a good job.

Perfectly describes you considering you labelled everyone who disagreed with you in the last thread you reared your head in a terrorist sympathiser.
    I labelled those terrorist sympathisers who labelled me as the next Hitler, which kind of exposes the daftness of such accusations, two wrongs don't make a right but at least you understand now.
    Actually you labelled people who disagreed with you on your ideas for anti-terror legislation as terrorist sympathisers and then told me to go speak to the parents of those killed in the attack because you think they'd agree with your agenda. Not sure you understand anything to be honest.
    Maybe I did Fish I'm not thread trawling to agree or disagree with you, however I will say I was probably angry at the site of such atrocities at the time which is understandable.

But let's stick to the thread topic for once eh, and don't be so daft as to label anyone who sees a political talk show host differently as yourself as "alt right" or any other petty shutdown of debate attempt names.
    If we're sticking to the thread topic then remind me which BBC channel employs James O'B to justify your and Chippy's whinging about him?
    Read back and you will see... You need to see an angry therapist.
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Perfectly describes you considering you labelled everyone who disagreed with you in the last thread you reared your head in a terrorist sympathiser.
    I labelled those terrorist sympathisers who labelled me as the next Hitler, which kind of exposes the daftness of such accusations, two wrongs don't make a right but at least you understand now.
    Actually you labelled people who disagreed with you on your ideas for anti-terror legislation as terrorist sympathisers and then told me to go speak to the parents of those killed in the attack because you think they'd agree with your agenda. Not sure you understand anything to be honest.
    Maybe I did Fish I'm not thread trawling to agree or disagree with you, however I will say I was probably angry at the site of such atrocities at the time which is understandable.

But let's stick to the thread topic for once eh, and don't be so daft as to label anyone who sees a political talk show host differently as yourself as "alt right" or any other petty shutdown of debate attempt names.
    If we're sticking to the thread topic then remind me which BBC channel employs James O'B to justify your and Chippy's whinging about him?
    Stop disagreeing with him you fascist white supremacist!
  • Its amazing that i am called far right. Nothing could be further from the truth.
  • I can understand why people are upset about the amount of money they are being paid, but the BBC need to pay competitively as they will easily get paid 3 times more with ITV, Channel 4 or SKY.

In regards to the pay gap, that definitely needs to be addressed, Chris Evans is not worth that amount of money at all.

If you seriously think some of these overpaid "stars" would double or treble their salaries by leaving the BBC and going elsewhere you are
    mistaken. Do you really think Sky would pay Shearer over a million for his incisive comments?
    Well they pay Thierry Henry 4m a year and i can't see how his punditry is that good
  • edited July 2017

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

The hypocrisy on display here is astounding. You and Chippy literally just insult anyone who disagrees with you.
  • This thread is hilarious, the amount of spittle you must be wiping off your keyboards... Great entertainment from the usual suspects! Thanks. :lol:

http://newsthump.com/2017/07/19/multi-millionaire-daily-mail-editor-directs-public-anger-towards-bbc-stars-who-earn-fraction-of-his-salary/
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

The hypocrisy on display here is astounding. You and Chippy literally just insult anyone who disagrees with you.
    Where have i done that here.
  • Before any of you explode, yes Dacre probably does earn less than some BBC talent - it's satire...
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

I've not thrown any insults your way mate let's not go there, I said it was petty you suggested I was alt right because I think James O'Brien isn't unbiased and posted a silly meme which was a mirror image of what you suggested. You could just say "okay I was wrong to call you alt right" then the debate gets back on track.
  • Can I just say to those who've suggested this is one big Tory distraction for the pension age rise, that story is everywhere, I've read several articles on it, it's been discussed all morning by colleagues at my work and it was the first story on my internet browser, it's hardly swept under the carpet is it? Not having a pop at anyone just seems very mainstream to me.
  • I genuinely don't think it's a coincidence that the government announce they're extending the pension age for a load of people at the same time as this.

Whilst everyone and all the front pages are getting their frillies in a twist over which Strictly presenter gets more than the other, our government has released its intent to make 6 million people wait longer for their pension than they thought they would.

There's not even a thread on here relating to it for example and I expect as a demographic plenty on here are effected.

Having said that Bournemouth is anyone on here surprised that they have made this change? In reality I doubt that it has finished rising either. I think it will be 70 long before most of those on here have retired.
  • fake news FFS ever since there was news theres been "fake news" ----the ONLY news is in the Sunday Sport
    i miss the news read by the dwarf gent on a trampoline -----proper

whats "Alt Right" ? missed that theme
  • fake news FFS ever since there was news theres been "fake news" ----the ONLY news is in the Sunday Sport
    i miss the news read by the dwarf gent on a trampoline -----proper

whats "Alt Right" ? missed that theme

to all you pretenders, this is how it's done. learn from the master

I think you mean 9/11 but yeah, just like that. What's your point?
  • Can I just say to those who've suggested this is one big Tory distraction for the pension age rise, that story is everywhere, I've read several articles on it, it's been discussed all morning by colleagues at my work and it was the first story on my internet browser, it's hardly swept under the carpet is it? Not having a pop at anyone just seems very mainstream to me.

Mainstream yes but they all have their agenda. The Guardian and left leaning papers are focussing on the gender disparity and the right win are focussing on how much they are earning. I suspect it's also a case of if one goes they all have to, sitting out on a story like this would lead to accusations of bias from others and it's also an easy story. All the details ready and waiting in the BBC's own documents, no real journalism needed and you can run and run with it in opinion pieces for days if not weeks.

Personally I think it's good that a public corporation has done this. Am I outraged though? Not really, I wonder if that many others are either or if this is just another example of the papers stirring shit up in order to get people's rage focussed on the BBC. It's something you might make in passing to a friend "have you seen what ... is on?" and then never mention it again. One thing is for sure though, the Tories are absolutely loving this.

I think he's agreeing with me that it's underhand tactics, and not surprising.
  • colthe3rd said:

Can I just say to those who've suggested this is one big Tory distraction for the pension age rise, that story is everywhere, I've read several articles on it, it's been discussed all morning by colleagues at my work and it was the first story on my internet browser, it's hardly swept under the carpet is it? Not having a pop at anyone just seems very mainstream to me.

Mainstream yes but they all have their agenda. The Guardian and left leaning papers are focussing on the gender disparity and the right win are focussing on how much they are earning. I suspect it's also a case of if one goes they all have to, sitting out on a story like this would lead to accusations of bias from others and it's also an easy story. All the details ready and waiting in the BBC's own documents, no real journalism needed and you can run and run with it in opinion pieces for days if not weeks.

Personally I think it's good that a public corporation has done this. Am I outraged though? Not really, I wonder if that many others are either or if this is just another example of the papers stirring shit up in order to get people's rage focussed on the BBC. It's something you might make in passing to a friend "have you seen what ... is on?" and then never mention it again. One thing is for sure though, the Tories are absolutely loving this.
    It's an easy story that the public will be interested in. That's why they do the top rich list every year. We, it would seem, have a strange fascination with how much the rich have.

When I say 'we' I don't just mean CL. The whole population seems to be obsessed with how much money the wealthy have.
  • How the hell is Chris Evans worth at least 2.2 million a year. Graham Norton 900k. Ridiculous waste of money.

Chris Evans is one of the most irritating men on the planet. How the fuck is he worth even a tenth of that amount.

Graham norton is a fantastic broadcaster, I'd say 900k is cheap for some one like him who can do it on tv, on the radio and in print (although for the telegraph)
    A few weeks ago my mrs gave me a lift to the station as i had a business meeting in portsmouth. Its a 20 minute drive. She listens to radio 2 when she's not working, as she likes vine and wright. We caught the first 20 minutes of evans radio show. In all that time he never played one song, but decided that the listener would be thrilled to know what he did over the weekend, i.e go for a curry Saturday night. Total self indulgence crap, and you are paying over 2 million for that crap.
    But he held your attention for 20 minutes. Maybe you enjoyed his chat but cant quite bring yourself to admit to that.
    Most people would switch to another station, stick their Spotify on or turn the tunes off rather than suffer a programme they clearly weren't enjoying.
    Or maybe your wife doesn't want to listen to you.
  • Sponsored links:

• How the hell is Chris Evans worth at least 2.2 million a year. Graham Norton 900k. Ridiculous waste of money.

Chris Evans is one of the most irritating men on the planet. How the fuck is he worth even a tenth of that amount.

Graham norton is a fantastic broadcaster, I'd say 900k is cheap for some one like him who can do it on tv, on the radio and in print (although for the telegraph)
    A few weeks ago my mrs gave me a lift to the station as i had a business meeting in portsmouth. Its a 20 minute drive. She listens to radio 2 when she's not working, as she likes vine and wright. We caught the first 20 minutes of evans radio show. In all that time he never played one song, but decided that the listener would be thrilled to know what he did over the weekend, i.e go for a curry Saturday night. Total self indulgence crap, and you are paying over 2 million for that crap.
    But he held your attention for 20 minutes. Maybe you enjoyed his chat but cant quite bring yourself to admit to that.
    Most people would switch to another station, stick their Spotify on or turn the tunes off rather than suffer a programme they clearly weren't enjoying.
    He didn't hold my attention as I talk to my wife assume you don't with yours....as you obviously didn't read my post properly she listens to it .....I don't.

Thanks was straight forward I thought.
  • Does it really Matter any of it who cares who earns what if you really don't like it don't pay the licence fee

Then we are all agreed but I don't see the need for the comparison with something that happened 15 years ago.

Why not just say you agree or not, why try to turn it into an issue of equivalence?
  • In 1990, when I was working on The Valley Party campaign at the agency, Fiona Bruce was in the office opposite me. She was younger than me and considered fairly smart, with potential, as an ad person, but not a superstar. After a couple of years she left to join the BBC, as a researcher. I am not sure but I don't think at the time she had a clear ambition to be the star she is today. I believe she just admired the work of the BBC. Now you may not think that her particular skill is as important as that of, say a top surgeon, but when I watch her, she never ever puts a foot wrong. Class, personified, IMHO. From what little I knew of her, and have heard since, i think she would freely agree that her skills are not as important to the world as that of a doctor, but, she never qualified as a doctor, quite possibly because she realised she doesn't have the personal attributes.

I am pretty sure she has not been tempted to move to Sky or ITV, because she loves the BBC. But if Sky or ITV pay shedloads for such roles, I am not sure why she should be so far behind them. Otherwise you are not rewarding loyalty. 27 years she has worked for the BBC, with two short maternity breaks. And why should she be kicked out and replaced with someone younger who costs less, if she still does the job?. Part of her job is to be what people around the world expect from the BBC - effortlessly classy, but never snooty. Someone who would talk to you if you met her in a cafe. Which is pretty much how I remember her. Now, could you say the same of, say Kay Burley? And what do we think Ms Burley is paid?

Then we are all agreed but I don't see the need for the comparison with something that happened 15 years ago.

Why not just say you agree or not, why try to turn it into an issue of equivalence?
    I will ask you first next time, didn't know you were in charge.

He didn't hold my attention as I talk to my wife assume you don't with yours....as you obviously didn't read my post properly she listens to it .....I don't.

You assume what you like. I assumed the , "We caught the first 20 minutes" , was you as well as your wife listening and you did manage a summary of those 20 minutes but I stand corrected, thanks Chippster.

You assume what you like. I assumed the , "We caught the first 20 minutes" , was you as well as your wife listening and you did manage a summary of those 20 minutes but I stand corrected, thanks Chippster.
    My pleasure always happy to correct someone..often do it.
  • If I was the boss of the BBC I would say that the top earners have high wages as Sky and ITV have attempted to poach them. Had they tried to poach other top presenters/talent, they would be on high wages. It is basically the market, and any sexism has to be from the other companies.

My pleasure always happy to correct someone..often do it.
    No, no the pleasure is all mine. To be "corrected " on CL by the debating genius that is Chippy has made my life complete.