Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Womens Euro 2017

123457»

Comments

• Options

FA covering Tranmere's Super White Army banner.

Absolutely pathetic from them. FA are being hit hard on social media from the left and right of the political spectrum. Quite an achievement actually.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-41337127

Pathetic. Maybe they should try starting with the real issues (their own) before they start getting involved in crap like this.
  • Options

Absolutely pathetic from them. FA are being hit hard on social media from the left and right of the political spectrum. Quite an achievement actually.

Genuinely fascinating... I've always been really good at knowing club nicknames / grounds etc. because whenever I went to see my Grandad as a little boy I'd always make him do silly quizes where we'd ask each other to name the nickname / manager / ground etc. for a particular club.

Never remember Tranmere being ever called Super White Army though (nor do I recall them being "Rovers" either)
  • Options

The FA proving once again that they're absolutely clueless!
  • Options
    The Tranmere thing is just as ridiculous as 'Kick it out' wanting United fans to stop singing their Lukaku song because they deem it to be racist.
  • Options
    Can't believe how racist The All Blacks are.
  • Options
    The Tranmere thing is completely ludicrous

The Lukaku thing...well, it's not the same issue, let's put it like that
  • Options

Can't believe how racist The All Blacks are.

It's the Terrys all Gold who get my goat.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Forgive me but could someone please give me the new/modern definition of the word Snowflake. I feel so out of touch.

It means rather than listen to your point of view and come up with a cogent and logical rebuttal, I'm just going to insult you and disregard everything you have to say without giving it any thought whatsoever.
  • Options
    ^^^triggered
  • Options
    Sampson was dismissed when the FA revisited the enquiry into his admitted a 6 month relationship with a player over the age of 18 whilst coach at the Bristol Academy. At the time he was not dismissed from his job but was sent on a safety awareness course.

Not quite the same as when Tommy Docherty was sacked by Man Utd for having an affair with the physio's wife - who he later married and remained in that relationship for 30 years.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bit of a farce really. The guy's done nothing wrong, been cleared in every investigation and now sacked for having a (legal) relationship in a former job 3-4 years ago.

Is that even grounds for firing someone years later in a totally new job?

Surely he's going to sue for unfair dismissal?
  • Options

Bit of a farce really. The guy's done nothing wrong, been cleared in every investigation and now sacked for having a (legal) relationship in a former job 3-4 years ago.

Is that even grounds for firing someone years later in a totally new job?

Surely he's going to sue for unfair dismissal?

The issues raised from his previous job should have meant he didn't get the high profile FA position - they're at fault over their due diligence. The racism comments investigation is ongoing as the previous investigation has been shown to be a bit of farce.

Sampson should never have got the job and this is down to the FA. I'm sure he will sue for unfair dismissal if he feels he has a case.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Riviera said:

Forgive me but could someone please give me the new/modern definition of the word Snowflake. I feel so out of touch.

The old term was used to describe/insult people opposed to ending slavery.

In the last 10 years it was used for a person who believes they're a true individual in this world of 7.5 billion.

It was then used for those with an unwarranted sense of self entitlement.

More recently (last few years) Snowflake has become a slang term to make reference to people who are easily offended and unable to deal with opposing opinions.

See whatever is the current Brexit thread for hundreds of snowflakeish comments serving as perfect examples of the current usage.
  • Options
    Well, well, well.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
  • Options

Missing the words, "and therefore I will resign."

How do you conclude that an individual is "not racist" when he has abused women of colour because they are women of colour?!?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    SDAddick said:

How do you conclude that an individual is "not racist" when he has abused women of colour because they are women of colour?!?
    I assume the implication is that his comments were deemed an ignorant attempt at humour, rather than being malicious or intentionally discriminatory.

That's not to say I'd necessarily agree with that distinction, but I think that's the distinction being made.

I have to say, the juxtaposition of 'discriminatory on the grounds of race' and 'not racist' did strike me as a bit odd. I imagine the former refers to some specific test within the legislation, whereas the latter is a more subjective term.
  • Options
    And what about Aluko's evidence that she was virtually blackmailed ie asked to make statement that FA was not institutionally racist before they would release second half of the money they had offered?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Gillis said:

SDAddick said:

I assume the implication is that his comments were deemed an ignorant attempt at humour, rather than being malicious or intentionally discriminatory.

That's not to say I'd necessarily agree with that distinction, but I think that's the distinction being made.

I have to say, the juxtaposition of 'discriminatory on the grounds of race' and 'not racist' did strike me as a bit odd. I imagine the former refers to some specific test within the legislation, whereas the latter is a more subjective term.
    I'm having a real culture wars week on here, it's very weird.

Thanks for the clarification, it's not something I would have thought of in terms of legislation or being legislated for.

But yeah, it's a really weird juxtaposition. Especially calling someone not racist, which you make the good point of saying is such a subjective term.

But a strangely worded press release is not the real problem here. The real problem is the FA's lack of wanting to know anything untoward about a manager until it hits them in the face on the back pages.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/18/denmark-womens-world-cup-qualifier-sweden-called-off-pay-dispute

They risk being banned from the qualifiers for both the World Cup and Euro.
    Women's football in Denmark has never been popular. That was until they reached the final against the Netherlands.
    Devastating for women's football in Denmark.