Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Womens Euro 2017

Comments

• Options

Excuse me - how was that not a penalty!!!

Diving before the challenge came in...
  • Options
    Oh dear - 2nd goal summed up the patchy performance. 

Guess we could have had a penalty but generally cannot complain about the score line so far.
  • Options
    Should be 2-1 there.
  • Options
    Awful tactics and bottle. An embarrassment, really.
  • Options
    Rubbing it in.
  • Options
    Oh did they score again? Ha! I turned it off when two minutes of injury time went up
  • Options
    Time for a real manager, as I say.
  • Options
    Just like the men's team.
  • Options
    Really poor by England, well beaten and no quality after big build up.
  • Options
    They have been Englandised!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't really look very good in the quarters either, so not surprised that a decent team was able to nullify their attack so easily.

Defensively a shambles.
  • Options
    Holland were the better side on the night.

Our girls gave all they had and showed a pride and commitment to their country that their so called male betters could learn from.
  • Options
    did well but can now get back home to do the dishes and sort out that massive pile of ironing ;-)
  • Options
    One aspect of women's football that has absolute parity with the men's game is the vapid inanities spouted by the co-commentator on tele. Utter drivel.
  • Options
    Anyone notice how much make up the Dutch centre forward had on, talk about reinforcing the stereotype
  • Options
    edited August 2017

LenGlover said:

Our girls gave all they had and showed a pride and commitment to their country that their so called male betters could learn from.

Can we stop with this!

I don't ever watch England and think, they really aren't committed or have any pride. We've got passed that cliche haven't we? It's got more to do with part wrong tactics, part psychological and mainly we just aren't that good.
    I don't agree that they should be commended for showing pride and commitment, in fact, I feel it's slightly condescending to say that they showed pride and commitment to their country that the men didn't show - is that just because they are women? They played in a competition, they did well to get to the semi's as they weren't actually playing that well, I think it flattered them, and for large sections of the game last night they were outplayed. that's not to say they didn't try. (same could be said for the men - they just get paid more so people expect more!)
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Anyone notice how much make up the Dutch centre forward had on, talk about reinforcing the stereotype

what stereotype?
  • Options
    DA9 said:

But would ya though?

A big yes from me.
  • Options

DA9 said:

what stereotype?
    Not mine, but the stereotype that stops a lot of men not taking the women's game seriously.
    She looked like she was going on a night out she had that much slap on, not playing in a major European football semi final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

DA9 said:

But would ya though?

A big yes from me.
    It's a no from me
  • Options
    any pics ?
  • Options

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

what stereotype?
    Not mine, but the stereotype that stops a lot of men not taking the women's game seriously.
    She looked like she was going on a night out she had that much slap on, not playing in a major European football semi final.
    Is that a stereotype? She was playing in a Semi Final of a European Championships at top level she can wear her face and hair how she likes as far as a lot of people are concerned. She was the only person who seemed to be wearing more than a little bit of make up. Are you saying you think people would have turned off watching because of her make up? or not watched because they thought that women's football is just 22 women running around with a full face of make up!? I don't get it.

you say it isn't your view, but not sure why you have pointed it out - on here and on facebook? I really dont think it matters?

It's like someone saying they won't watch Zlatan Ibrahimovic due to his pony tail and tattoos that cover a lot of his body. or that Gareth Bale can't be taken seriously due to his hair 'do'. how is that any different? I really can't believe people think that?

Your right, she can do what she likes, the amount, just seemed OTT.
    Lots of people stereotype premier league players as over preened and more concerned with their image, and over paid (over paid not something you can level at the women's game)
    Does not stop people watching it clearly, but it does have that stereotype.

You don't think it matters, and in truth it doesn't, just my opinion that it was OTT, and the reason I mention it on here and on FB?
    Why not, open forums, and happy to give my opinion, nobody has to agree, which you clearly don't.
  • Options
    I mentioned the make up earlier, it did look a bit odd having that much slap on for a sporting event. Not that it matters, just unusual.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

what stereotype?
    Is that a stereotype? She was playing in a Semi Final of a European Championships at top level she can wear her face and hair how she likes as far as a lot of people are concerned. She was the only person who seemed to be wearing more than a little bit of make up. Are you saying you think people would have turned off watching because of her make up? or not watched because they thought that women's football is just 22 women running around with a full face of make up!? I don't get it.

you say it isn't your view, but not sure why you have pointed it out - on here and on facebook? I really dont think it matters?

It's like someone saying they won't watch Zlatan Ibrahimovic due to his pony tail and tattoos that cover a lot of his body. or that Gareth Bale can't be taken seriously due to his hair 'do'. how is that any different? I really can't believe people think that?

Lots of people stereotype premier league players as over preened and more concerned with their image, and over paid (over paid not something you can level at the women's game)

You don't think it matters, and in truth it doesn't, just my opinion that it was OTT, and the reason I mention it on here and on FB?
    Why not, open forums, and happy to give my opinion, nobody has to agree, which you clearly don't.
    I'm not picking on you, just trying to understand the mentality of how people think and what they mean by stereotype. You could say that Ibrahimovic can do what he likes with his tattoo's, but to rip off his shirt after scoring and seeing how many there are - seems OTT.

I don't think it's reinforcing a stereotype though. What stereotype do you mean? To say that it would prevent people from watching? to say she's not taking it as seriously as she should as she's put make up on first? I noticed she was wearing a lot of make up compared to the others, but only in the same way I noticed some had their hair in buns and some had pony tails?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

LenGlover said:

Can we stop with this!

I don't ever watch England and think, they really aren't committed or have any pride. We've got passed that cliche haven't we? It's got more to do with part wrong tactics, part psychological and mainly we just aren't that good.
    I don't agree that they should be commended for showing pride and commitment, in fact, I feel it's slightly condescending to say that they showed pride and commitment to their country that the men didn't show - is that just because they are women? They played in a competition, they did well to get to the semi's as they weren't actually playing that well, I think it flattered them, and for large sections of the game last night they were outplayed. that's not to say they didn't try. (same could be said for the men - they just get paid more so people expect more!)
    My comment was intended to be a compliment and not condescending at all.

Rather like saying that Curbs' Premiership teams were always better than the sum of the individual parts because of their discipline, spirit and willingness to work hard for each other.

The body language of every one of those English girls showed their pride and desire to be out there fighting for their team. They fell short because they were up against more talented individuals who got it together on the night yet they never stopped pushing forward trying to get back into the game until Millie White's late, late own goal which pretty much heralded the end of the game anyway.

Curbs' Charlton teams (all male as far as I know having not seen them in the showers) were the same so it is not a gender issue at all in complimenting the girls on their attitude.

That said the male equivalent England team, in my opinion, has not displayed similar characteristics in years and invariably capitulate tamely either in the group stages or the first match afterwards.

Hence my comment.
  • Options
    So in summary, the girls lost, but some were made up and looked good.
  • Options
    Shag said:

any pics ?

sgg.png 180.9K
  • Options

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

DA9 said:

what stereotype?

I'm not picking on you, just trying to understand the mentality of how people think and what they mean by stereotype. You could say that Ibrahimovic can do what he likes with his tattoo's, but to rip off his shirt after scoring and seeing how many there are - seems OTT.

I don't think it's reinforcing a stereotype though. What stereotype do you mean? To say that it would prevent people from watching? to say she's not taking it as seriously as she should as she's put make up on first? I noticed she was wearing a lot of make up compared to the others, but only in the same way I noticed some had their hair in buns and some had pony tails?
    I know your not picking on me, just my observation that that much make up whilst taking part in a major sporting event was OTT