Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

End season players out V Start season players in

(Excluding Dev squad)

Out

Johnson
Chicksen
Rudd
Dasilva
Malvidi
Byrne
Ulvestad
Botaka
Vetokele
Ajose
Teixeira

In

Clarke
Marshall
Fosu

Have I got that right?

Comments

• Options
    could almost add Kashi to the 'in' list !!
  • Options
    I think so although you could also include Kashi in the mix.

The constant videos of hard training sessions and Holmes signing a new contract seem to have fooled a lot of us (myself included) that we have had a great summer. I know you shouldn't read too much into friendlies but, after I watched the games last week and seeing so many players in their incorrect positions, it did start to hit home that we are still some distance off being a squad that will challenge. The first XI should be fine but we're in trouble when injuries and suspensions hit.
  • Options
    If vetokele is an out then sarr and cellabos should be ins
  • Options
    I think you've missed Lef T'Legg in and Rit Harm out. Possible future signings are Shakit Al Aboot and Oke Kokie.
  • Options
    Don't really think that DaSilva, Ulvestad, Rudd, Mavidi and Botaka really count as "outs" as they were just loans and came to the end of loan period.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Don't really think that DaSilva, Ulvestad, Rudd, Mavidi and Botaka really count as "outs" as they were just loans and came to the end of loan period.

Well, let's see if we bring in others on loan, because the club would certainly claim they are "ins" especially if they are season-long. The important thing is to compare like for like.

• Options
    11 out, 3 in, so 8 players down on what was already a pretty threadbare squad. Unless Gobbo does some serious business in the next few weeks I can't see this as anything other than yet another nothing season with no hope of promotion and a vague chance of relegation.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

(Excluding Dev squad)

Out

Johnson
    Chicksen
    Rudd
    Dasilva
    Malvidi
    Byrne
    Ulvestad
    Botaka
    Vetokele
    Ajose
    Teixeira

In

Clarke
    Marshall
    Fosu

Have I got that right?

If you analyse it in a bit more depth the only ones we will miss - as they were regularly playing in the season - were:

Rudd
    Chicksen/DaSilva (both occupied the same position usually)
    Teixeira
    Ulvestad
    Byrne
    Botaka

The replacements of Marshall and Fosu covers Byrne and Botaka with Clarke in for Ulvestad providing a better balanced squad - with someone more adept at playing behind the striker. Mavididi wasn't here long enough before getting injured so wouldn't count him as a 'loss' in the new squad sense.

We don't need to replace Teixeira as we were too heavy at CB and Johnson didn't play. Ajose didn't play and we didn't have Vetokele last season.

So that leaves us with Rudd, Chicksen / Da Silva and probably Byrne covering RB to sort out. RB cover probably to come from Barnes and Konsa though don't know if that will be enough in practice.

The remaining targets therefore need to look at balancing the squad. GK and LB are a must. If Kashi is fit then don't need abother CM. One more winger required if Ceballos and Stewart go. No 10 as challenge to Clarke required. If we get the no 10 in then don't need another striker as Clarke can also cover. If Ceballos and Stewart stay then arguably only need GK and LB for a reasonably competitive squad, though worry it lacks game changers from the bench.
  • Options

Same story every year under this lot. Lose a load if players at the end of the season, bring in some promising signings but not enough for a full squad. Start the season woefully weak in key areas.

It does feel very similar but I am hoping we will see a more balanced squad this year, I think the next 10 days will tell us if this is the case or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same old same old. But this time at an even lower level.
    We have some players that are top end of this league but there is not enough in this squad to mount a promotion campaign. I'm not interested in sneaking into the playoffs, that's making up the numbers not serious commitment to putting right what damage has been done.
    So much for getting the business done early, I think we've seen the business done and in the next few weeks we will be treated to the same excuses as per previous years from Daisy.
    So glad I haven't bothered to buy one of those outstanding value season tickets.
  • Options
    We didn't have enough last year and we have even less this year. I seriously fear relegation.
  • Options
    If you were to take the Transfer Markt approach, you'd add Sarr, Ceballos, and Charles-Cook as they're all returning from loans. Plus Aaron Barnes and Anfernee Dijksteel as they seem to be permanently promoted from the U-23s. Plus, as others have mentioned, Kashi coming back from injury.

If you consider Johnson was nowhere to be found in the second half of the season, and Madvididi did his knee in what was it, February, and the numbers look more even. Obviously we're still short, and need a LB (really hoping DaSilva is confirmed any day), goalkeeper, probably another forward, and another for the attacking three. Since Stewart has played every pre-season game bar one I believe, that has also helped paper over the cracks.

Out

Johnson
    Chicksen
    Rudd
    Dasilva
    Malvidi
    Byrne
    Ulvestad
    Botaka
    Vetokele*-he wasn't really with us last year
    Ajose
    Teixeira

11-but really 10 as Vetokele wasn't with us last year, plus Johnson and Mavididi missed most of the second half

In

Clarke
    Marshall
    Fosu
    Ceballos
    Sarr
    *Kashi
    Charles-Cook
    Dijksteel
    Barnes

9--to be seen if RCC gets a chance, but if you add 3-4 to this list I think we start to look a lot more balanced.
  • Options
    Think the Out team would win 3-2 over 90 mins.

Johnson with the winner.
  • Options
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/team/first-team

thats probably more scary when you actually look at it, and see how thin we are
  • Options
    the squad is tiny, and doesn't look fit to play a minimum of 51 games;

46 league games
    3 tinpot cup
    1 league cup
    1 fa cup
  • Options

(Excluding Dev squad)

Out

Johnson
    Chicksen
    Rudd
    Dasilva
    Malvidi
    Byrne
    Ulvestad
    Botaka
    Vetokele
    Ajose
    Teixeira

In

Clarke
    Marshall
    Fosu
    Kashi
    Sarr
    Cebellos

• Options
    Macronate said:

Think the Out team would win 3-2 over 90 mins.

Johnson with the winner.

And if you don't f@#@$ing like it.
  • Options
    We tried to get certain players over the line but for one reason or another they didn't come off - miere on deadline day, ad infinitum

We know the squad is thin, we've had injuries and loans that haven't worked out - miere in January, every January

We are looking to get our business done early - Miere after another clusterfuck of a season and one year closer to finally killing what used to be Charlton Athletic

• Options
    I have been surprised by the amount of positivity I have seen on here lately about our summer transfer dealings. Yes we have kept Holmes and signed Marshall but other than that we are very thin on the ground and it seems just like all the other pre-seasons under this lot.

We really need some additions to the squad and soon given we are half way through pre-season, if not more, already.

All we need is another tweet about how well the training ground development is going.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was starting to feel more positive, we'd at least have a proper pre-season which would help us avoid picking up so many injuries. I still don't trust them but thought we'd be looking better than last season just through behaving a bit more like a normal football club.

I expected more signings by now. We still only have 1 senior GK, RB and LB.

I think we'll probably get a couple of players in over the next week or two and that'll give the more optimistic fans "proof" that things are changing for the better.

Even if we get them I don't get the feeling it's all going to come together. Robinson doesn't have the benefit of Dele Alli or 2/3 goalscoring strikers that he had in Mk Dons promotion season.

I don't see him adapting and playing a more defensive and direct game if it means getting results either.
    Carter said:

We tried to get certain players over the line but for one reason or another they didn't come off - miere on deadline day, ad infinitum

We know the squad is thin, we've had injuries and loans that haven't worked out - miere in January, every January

We are looking to get our business done early - Miere after another clusterfuck of a season and one year closer to finally killing what used to be Charlton Athletic

Meire doesn't talk any more, they have Robinson for that.

I'm expecting another one of these:

https://youtu.be/7vij6WD3crY

https://youtu.be/1HsnI3P8PUU
  • Options

(Excluding Dev squad)

Out

Johnson
    Chicksen
    Rudd
    Dasilva
    Malvidi
    Byrne
    Ulvestad
    Botaka
    Vetokele
    Ajose
    Teixeira

In

Clarke
    Marshall
    Fosu
    Kashi
    Sarr
    Cebellos

I don't agree with your inclusion of Kashi there. It is not like for like. He has always been a CAFC player since he signed, and there was never talk of him being otherwise.

There is a separate point that he will be "like a new player", and that it reduces the need for a central midfielder to drive the team. However as yet, there is still a flaw in those arguments:

We do not yet know whether he has fully recovered, both physically and mentally, from a shockingly long and protracted injury.

• Options

(Excluding Dev squad)

Out

Johnson
    Chicksen
    Rudd
    Dasilva
    Malvidi
    Byrne
    Ulvestad
    Botaka
    Vetokele
    Ajose
    Teixeira

In

Clarke
    Marshall
    Fosu
    Kashi
    Sarr
    Cebellos

I don't agree with your inclusion of Kashi there. It is not like for like. He has always been a CAFC player since he signed, and there was never talk of him being otherwise.

There is a separate point that he will be "like a new player", and that it reduces the need for a central midfielder to drive the team. However as yet, there is still a flaw in those arguments:

We do not yet know whether he has fully recovered, both physically and mentally, from a shockingly long and protracted injury.

Regardless he wasn't with the squad last year (he was literally on another continent) but now he is.

He, like Sarr and Cebellos, has rejoined the squad so should be included.

• Options
    edited July 2017

(Excluding Dev squad)

Out

Johnson
    Chicksen
    Rudd
    Dasilva
    Malvidi
    Byrne
    Ulvestad
    Botaka
    Vetokele
    Ajose
    Teixeira

In

Clarke
    Marshall
    Fosu
    Kashi
    Sarr
    Cebellos

Regardless he wasn't with the squad last year (he was literally on another continent) but now he is.

He, like Sarr and Cebellos, has rejoined the squad so should be included.

Suit yourself.

Edit. You can now move Cebellos to your out column :-)
  • Options
    Out

Johnson no loss
    Chicksen with just JD at LB we'll miss the Chick
    Rudd need a direct replacement for him
    Dasilva he's back, thank heavens
    Mavididi very few appearances, sadly
    Byrne alright-ish as a full back, less good in his more regular position
    Ulvestad decent and underplayed I thought, revelation at CH
    Botaka typical loan sponger, no loss
    Vetokele wasn't with us at all last season
    Ajose was barely with us and always a square peg in Charlton's many round holes, still managed to score 5
    Teixeira while Pearce was out we'd have sunk without him, replacement of at least his quality required

In

Clarke }
    Marshall these 3 between them will probably just about fill the spaces previously held by Byrne Botaka and Ulvestad but
    Fosu } without the defensive cover 2 of them provided

Kashi if he holds together he'll effectively add an option in midfield, if he's half the player we saw 2 years ago Crofts won't
    be getting a look in, which is good news
    Sarr if he's twice the player he was 2 years ago, he can put the cones out for the warm up, if he's even better than that he
    might make the bench in the crapwhole cup

Under the FSG's "system" we're below last season's level on in v out cos we're still light one LB, on quality at CH and no cover for goalie. After Gobby's sacked the team will be further worse off by Ajose's goals.

That looks good then: palpably weaker defensively and probably fewer goals - no chance of a late season surge to 13th this time, let's pray it's no worse than 20th.
  • Options
    Out

Johnson
    Chicksen
    Rudd
    Malvidi
    Byrne
    Ulvestad
    Botaka
    Vetokele
    Ajose
    Teixeira