Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ceballos sold to STVV (ed. confirmed)

Comments

• Options

se9addick said:

razil said:

Perhaps as someone else said STVV aren't training at the moment and we had first dibs, and or potentially him going elsewhere?

Given that they kick off a week before us I would sincerely hope they are training !
    We played them in July two seasons ago (?) - They thrashed us 4-0 because we are so Shit.

http://uk.soccerway.com/teams/belgium/sint-truidense-vv/22
    Ah, those heady days, we didn't know how good we had it then - this pre-season we got thrashed by an Irish university team !
  • Options
    Scoham said:

SDAddick said:

Don't think Ceballos is the messiah because he did well against Crumlin and I highly doubt he'll play more than a handful of games if he stays. But if he does go, it's another to be chalked up on the seemingly infinite list of regime cock ups - anyone with half a football brain must've known he wasn't going to be a decent fit in a second/third tier English squad and yet we signed him anyway on no doubt, a lucrative contract.

But to be fair, he was a Phil Chapple according to GTKTN
    Could have been useful as a squad player but he came in to an already young squad where he was given a 3 year deal, the number 10 shirt and was basically guaranteed at least a place on the bench.

No other Championship club would have done that.

What we don't know is how Chapple saw him fitting into the squad and whether he thought he was worth such a long contract.
    A three year contract isn't that long of a deal, in fact it's pretty standard, and the number or the shirt he's given doesn't matter much. Perhaps it wasn't ideal that he was expected to play such a large role in his first season for us, in what, as you rightly point out, was a pretty young team. But we also don't know what would have happened if he hadn't broken his foot.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Scoham said:

SDAddick said:

Don't think Ceballos is the messiah because he did well against Crumlin and I highly doubt he'll play more than a handful of games if he stays. But if he does go, it's another to be chalked up on the seemingly infinite list of regime cock ups - anyone with half a football brain must've known he wasn't going to be a decent fit in a second/third tier English squad and yet we signed him anyway on no doubt, a lucrative contract.

Could have been useful as a squad player but he came in to an already young squad where he was given a 3 year deal, the number 10 shirt and was basically guaranteed at least a place on the bench.

What we don't know is how Chapple saw him fitting into the squad and whether he thought he was worth such a long contract.
    A three year contract isn't that long of a deal, in fact it's pretty standard, and the number or the shirt he's given doesn't matter much. Perhaps it wasn't ideal that he was expected to play such a large role in his first season for us, in what, as you rightly point out, was a pretty young team. But we also don't know what would have happened if he hadn't broken his foot.
    It's a long deal when a player is in their early 20s and completely unproven, it also suggests he's on a decent wage. Only experience was a loan spell in Portugal. Yes the shirt number doesn't mean much but it suggests they expected him to be a regular in the team. As I said another Championship club wouldn't have given a player like him a first team place and a 3 year contract.

No we don't know but Slade didn't want him and Robinson perhaps could have recalled him in January. Doesn't appear that Robinson is pushing to keep him like he did with Holmes.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Scoham said:

SDAddick said:

I would imagine the standard contract in that situation was a 1 year deal with an option for a second, possibly a straight 2 year deal, rarely more than that. Unless of course the agent is negotiating with KM and you can pretty much demand whatever you want.
  • Options

Why have we been playing him in every pre-season game then? He seems to have done quite well from the reports i've read.

I'm pretty sure Tex played every game until yesterday too though didn't he?
    Yep, under instruction from above to get them both match sharp in front of scouts from anywhere that might cough up a few €uros for roly's pension fund. That ruse failed so roly's lunacy has them dragged back closer to roly's bunker, just because.
    Mad ancient meddler.
  • Options

they literally cannot help themselves, if hes gone and it frees up money whats the fucking point left it too late to get players in, had high hopes for this season, but think we will scrape playoffs and lose.

You may well be right and it's looking like that at the moment, but the window doesn't shut until the end of August, so we still have 6 weeks.
  • Options
    Wont be missed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If CC stays because Meire persuaded Roland over the weekend, I'll cut her some slack.
  • Options
    Everybody talks about Reeves being "plan A"..,.

But hasn't Robinson said he only wants people who want to play for Charlton?

Maybe Reeves attitude has screwed his chance of getting a Charlton contract?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I'm looking forward to finding out who we miss out on just before this window closes! When we won the league, it was pretty clear we were going to do well at this point.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

SDAddick said:

Scoham said:

SDAddick said:

It's a long deal when a player is in their early 20s and completely unproven, it also suggests he's on a decent wage. Only experience was a loan spell in Portugal. Yes the shirt number doesn't mean much but it suggests they expected him to be a regular in the team. As I said another Championship club wouldn't have given a player like him a first team place and a 3 year contract.

No we don't know but Slade didn't want him and Robinson perhaps could have recalled him in January. Doesn't appear that Robinson is pushing to keep him like he did with Holmes.
    Quite possibly a cost-benefit analysis on Robinson's part. I don't think Ceballos was ever going to be Slade's type of player and was never in his plan as a result. However, I suspect he could fit in better with they way Robinson at least claims he wants to play, but as well as he has done so far in pre-season there is not much of a track record to hang your hat on. I don't think he pulled up any trees on Belgium last season either.

If he is on higher wages then I think it would be understandable if Robinson preferred to move him on and use any money, he might be allowed to as a result, to sign a safer bet. If the wages are low enough, maybe KR would be keener to keep him and take a punt but he'd probably still want another player in case Ceballos can't carry the form he has shown, in meaningless games against low level opposition by the way, into the season proper.
  • Options

If CC stays because Meire persuaded Roland over the weekend, I'll cut her some slack.

How would you know? Just to play devils advocate maybe RD wanted him to stay at Charlton and she was there to say she didn't...
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I'm looking forward to finding out who we miss out on just before this window closes! When we won the league, it was pretty clear we were going to do well at this point.

I expect the deadline day video on cafc pass to be absolute gold. I think KR will really put in an oscar winning performance
    He's had enough practice between mk & us !
  • Options

This. It all feels very familiar doesn't it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

razil said:

Perhaps as someone else said STVV aren't training at the moment and we had first dibs, and or potentially him going elsewhere?

Given that they kick off a week before us I would sincerely hope they are training !
    Ha

Must be our first dib reject then..

Who knows in the crazy world of cafc nowadays
  • Options

How would you know? Just to play devils advocate maybe RD wanted him to stay at Charlton and she was there to say she didn't...
    I trust the President's Belgian contacts who were sure he was moving there. Local press also positive about a transfer. Why was Meire in St Truiden?
  • Options
    leafleting for the Belgium 20?
  • Options

leafleting for the Belgium 20?

probably visiting her parents
  • Options

I trust the President's Belgian contacts who were sure he was moving there. Local press also positive about a transfer. Why was Meire in St Truiden?
    On her way to Dubai.
  • Options
    Baring in mind he has a year left on his contract, I can see it being a loan for the season and they'll just sign him once his contract has expired.
  • Options
    Has there been anything official about Cellabos going to STVV ?
  • Options
    Not as far as i'm aware.