Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Ajose joins Bury - season long loan

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
    The only thing that pisses me off here is we are paying part of his wages. On the occasions I saw him play last season, he spent most of the time skulking around. Yet another complete and utter waste of money.
  • Options
    Bury to finish above us!!
  • Options
    Not doubting him, but how does Jimmy Stone know about what wages we may or may not be contributing?
  • Options

Not doubting him, but how does Jimmy Stone know about what wages we may or may not be contributing?

I suspect he's still well connected at the club.
  • Options
    Surely it was pointless bringing him to Ireland for pre-season if he had no intent of playing for Charlton
  • Options

Surely it was pointless bringing him to Ireland for pre-season if he had no intent of playing for Charlton

Perhaps twas the last chance saloon for a player who just will not fit into the 'pattern' and 'formation' that's favoured by Robinson ..
    Ajose is a natural up front goal hanger/poacher who thrives on good service from his teammates and mistakes by the opposition, a bit like, though not so good as (e.g.) Le Fondre, a player much valued by managers and fans but who never hangs about too long with any one club .. some players just do not fit in and so better they go somewhere where their skills and abilities are more appropriate and more appreciated
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Agree with a lot of what you say Lincs but for me he was a misfit from day one, a goal hanger out for number one and not a team man a la SuperYann.

You can get away with that attitude if you are a Hales or Mendonca who weighed in with their fair share of goals but not when you are firing on blanks.

And so it goes on, more waste of money by having to loan out a player and cover some of their wages. If only we were run by proper football people :rage:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Agree with a lot of what you say Lincs but for me he was a misfit from day one, a goal hanger out for number one and not a team man a la SuperYann.

You can get away with that attitude if you are a Hales or Mendonca who weighed in with their fair share of goals but not when you are firing on blanks.

And so it goes on, more waste of money by having to loan out a player and cover some of their wages. If only we were run by proper football people

Red me ol darling .. nice to see you ... to see you ... N I C E .. how you been all summer long ? ((:>)
  • Options

RedChaser said:

And so it goes on, more waste of money by having to loan out a player and cover some of their wages. If only we were run by proper football people

Red me ol darling .. nice to see you ... to see you ... N I C E .. how you been all summer long ? ((:>)
    Good mate, having a time out and keeping my head down but looking forward to my first game of the season at Rotherham hope to see you there COYRs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This regime's Izale mcloud. Looked good for about 5 mins and then toilet.

I must've been asleep or on the bog for those 5 mins.
    Walsall away was his only highlight. And he nearly missed one of those from memory. Scuffed it in off the post when it was an open goal.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Was Ajose a Slade signing? You don't spend 600-800 grand on a bloke who scored 25 goals the season before, if you are not going to set up the team around him to play off his strengths!

When Curbishley spent 700,000 in May 1997 on a fella up front, he knew how to get the best from him, which would benefit the team. He didn't leave him on the bench, or play him behind the main striker on the left.

Someone clearly did not do their due dillange when signing Ajose

No he was signed before Slade joined and apparently Slade didn't particularly rate or want him. He was signed during that transition period after the season but before Slade started. I can't remember who was advising on signings. Maybe that scout? Maybe a certain former manager? Either way, it just shows the complete lack of planning and continuity we have, even if I think we've "outgrown" Ajose and his style.
  • Options
    I find the Ajose situation frustrating. He scored 25 goals at Swindon, which proved that if given the service he's going to get you goals. Last season, simply, he didn't get said service and was feeding off crumbs pretty much all year, but still scored 12 goals across us and Swindon, two pretty low quality sides. He doesn't fit into KR's preferred system of 4231 but surely we won't be sticking to that all year? There are times when we will need to go 2 or even 3 up top to get a goal and Ajose is the sort of player who'd thrive off the service of Holmes/Marshall/Fosu/Magennis/possibly Reeves if coming off the bench. The wording of KR's comments suggests that Ajose pushed for this move and he didn't want to let him leave. If that is true, or a fallback in case he bangs them in for Bury ('He didn't want to be here etc'), it is worrying, because I'd expect the manager of a football club to have the balls to say to a contracted player that he is staying.
  • Options
    which ever way you look at it he still crap
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Was Ajose a Slade signing? You don't spend 600-800 grand on a bloke who scored 25 goals the season before, if you are not going to set up the team around him to play off his strengths!

When Curbishley spent 700,000 in May 1997 on a fella up front, he knew how to get the best from him, which would benefit the team. He didn't leave him on the bench, or play him behind the main striker on the left.

My understanding was that Katrien knew Charlton needed a striker and Ajose was "chosen" because of his goals for Swindon the previous season and the deal to bring him to The Valley was a fait accompli before Slade had his feet under the desk.

Another example of people, not just Katrien meddling in football matters when they are not qualified to do so. Well meaning incompetence if you like.
    Seems about right, she probably just got Driesen to look up the leading scorers list and they went off that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dallas said:

which ever way you look at it he still crap

Or look it the other way, I think if you asked fans if they think he will score a minimum 15 goals this season, I suspect the majority would say yes.

The fact we would subsidise a league rival to achieve that would be be weird unique
  • Options

The fact she appointed her own chief scout - Steve Head - before Slade and that neither Slade nor Robinson rated him is probably at the heart of it.

That was bound to end in chaos, and remember this was after "lessons had been learned" - and before RD imposed O'Loughlin. It's extraordinary she is still in post and even more bizarre some fans support her.

The fact she has any say in footballing matters scares the granny out of me .
    I wouldn't be confident of making decisions on a netball team (sexist pig) and would if placed in that position look to get people with credible experience in various positions regarding the game around me but then I'm not a Cupid stunt stuck up my own arse
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Good mate, having a time out and keeping my head down but looking forward to my first game of the season at Rotherham hope to see you there COYRs.
    I'll be there .. New York, New York is 'local' for me ((:>)
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

shirty5 said:

No he was signed before Slade joined and apparently Slade didn't particularly rate or want him. He was signed during that transition period after the season but before Slade started. I can't remember who was advising on signings. Maybe that scout? Maybe a certain former manager? Either way, it just shows the complete lack of planning and continuity we have, even if I think we've "outgrown" Ajose and his style.
    are you sure about this ? .. Slade was appointed on June 6th and Ajose signed after that date .. my memory is that Slade started with a 4 4 2 at Bury where we were wiped out by a more aggressive and bigger team .. Slade persevered with 4 4 2, Ajose scored a pair at Walsall and then we went into a slump of about 8 games without a win, so Slade went chicken and reverted to a 4 5 1 just using Magennis as a lone striker ..
    Ajose was the fall guy for the change of plan .. Slade was then sacked and new boy Robo had his own idiosyncratic ideas about personnel and formations that excluded Ajoses' talents for what they were worth, he was never the most diligent or perfect of strikers but I maintain that he was never given a good enough run during his time with us
  • Options

SDAddick said:

shirty5 said:

are you sure about this ? .. Slade was appointed on June 6th and Ajose signed after that date .. my memory is that Slade started with a 4 4 2 at Bury where we were wiped out by a more aggressive and bigger team .. Slade persevered with 4 4 2, Ajose scored a pair at Walsall and then we went into a slump of about 8 games without a win, so Slade went chicken and reverted to a 4 5 1 just using Magennis as a lone striker ..
    Ajose was the fall guy for the change of plan .. Slade was then sacked and new boy Robo had his own idiosyncratic ideas about personnel and formations that excluded Ajoses' talents for what they were worth, he was never the most diligent or perfect of strikers but I maintain that he was never given a good enough run during his time with us
    He scored twice again Walsall, but either side of that the goals were pretty dry (I want to say he didn't score in the league either side). When you go 8 games without a win, you should change the system. The fact of the matter is that, when you're a poacher and you're not scoring goals, you're going to be dropped. Slade reverted to 4-4-2 in his last game against Swindon and we were awful. To be fair Ajose did look to get a little bit more involved in the build up, but not by much.

Robinson's system isn't idiosyncratic, it's arguably the most commonly used formation in football over the last decade. The fact that we had to overhaul the squad shows that some of our players, and arguably League One players, are tactically lacking. Robinson has been promoted out of this league before. He may have had good players, but he still had to go out and win games. He's far from perfect, but he has a style of play and he wants us to follow that. He's already leaps and bounds ahead of Slade in terms of coaching.

This is what I was referring to. He wasn't a Slade signing.

shirty5 said:

My understanding was that Katrien knew Charlton needed a striker and Ajose was "chosen" because of his goals for Swindon the previous season and the deal to bring him to The Valley was a fait accompli before Slade had his feet under the desk.

Another example of people, not just Katrien meddling in football matters when they are not qualified to do so. Well meaning incompetence if you like.

• Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

shirty5 said:

He scored twice again Walsall, but either side of that the goals were pretty dry (I want to say he didn't score in the league either side). When you go 8 games without a win, you should change the system. The fact of the matter is that, when you're a poacher and you're not scoring goals, you're going to be dropped. Slade reverted to 4-4-2 in his last game against Swindon and we were awful. To be fair Ajose did look to get a little bit more involved in the build up, but not by much.

Robinson's system isn't idiosyncratic, it's arguably the most commonly used formation in football over the last decade. The fact that we had to overhaul the squad shows that some of our players, and arguably League One players, are tactically lacking. Robinson has been promoted out of this league before. He may have had good players, but he still had to go out and win games. He's far from perfect, but he has a style of play and he wants us to follow that. He's already leaps and bounds ahead of Slade in terms of coaching.

This is what I was referring to. He wasn't a Slade signing.

shirty5 said:

are you deliberately missing my point ? .. I'm sure that Ajose in fact WAS a Slade signing just as you seem to be sure that he was signed at the behest of the ownership ..
    Ajose was signed after Slade was appointed manager .. can you 'prove' that he was signed over the head of Slade ? .. I doubt that you can .. as I can't 'prove'otherwise

all this 'understanding' that Meire was 'responsible' for Ajose's signing is pure conjecture, guess work, no-one knows what and how it all happened other than Slade and the owners ..

Meire is a total waste of space, but even so, she can't be blamed for every single mistake and mishap at CAFC
  • Options
    How did Ajose play under Nugent?
  • Options

How did Ajose play under Nugent?

successfully