Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nicky Ajose joins Bury - season long loan

Comments

• Numbers said:

Essex_Al said:

Found his performances very frustrating. His finishing was poor and his first touch worse.

Neither manager played a system that suited him and he was wasted out wide but he didnt perform well imho.

Bury have sold a player for 900k and replaced him with a subsidized loan. Good business for them.

We've temporarily moved on a player who didn't suit our formation and freed up some of his wages. OK business for us but again the mistakes of the past hang like a mill stone around our neck.

Agree with most of that, but how do you know the loan is subsidised?
    Educated guess. If they were paying 100% of his wages they might as well buy him.

They have money but are only loaning him which suggests to me that they are getting better value this way ie his wages are being subsidised.
    If they buy him, they have to then pay his wages, so why not just pay his wages
    Less risk too, in case he flops there, they can send him back to us next summer
  • Numbers said:

Numbers said:

Essex_Al said:

Found his performances very frustrating. His finishing was poor and his first touch worse.

Neither manager played a system that suited him and he was wasted out wide but he didnt perform well imho.

Bury have sold a player for 900k and replaced him with a subsidized loan. Good business for them.

We've temporarily moved on a player who didn't suit our formation and freed up some of his wages. OK business for us but again the mistakes of the past hang like a mill stone around our neck.

Educated guess. If they were paying 100% of his wages they might as well buy him.

They have money but are only loaning him which suggests to me that they are getting better value this way ie his wages are being subsidised.
    Err?
    Do they have to pay to loan him? (and then pay his wages or part of), whereas if they buy him ( they pay and then pay his wages), Surely its cheaper for them to loan him
    That was the point. If they paying 100% of the wages then they could buy him and own him as an asset.

Bit like renting a house or buying it. It the rent is the same as the mortgage then why not buy and be able to live in the house for longer and sell if you wish.
  • Numbers said:

Numbers said:

Essex_Al said:

Err?
    Do they have to pay to loan him? (and then pay his wages or part of), whereas if they buy him ( they pay and then pay his wages), Surely its cheaper for them to loan him
    That was the point. If they paying 100% of the wages then they could buy him and own him as an asset.

Bit like renting a house or buying it. It the rent is the same as the mortgage then why not buy and be able to live in the house for longer and sell if you wish.
    Club might not have wanted to sell him, like Igor, hoping for a good season to bring his value back up.
  • We look very light upfront, hopefully this is a case of freeing up space/wages to bring a real goal scorer in.
  • Numbers said:

Numbers said:

Essex_Al said:

Err?

Club might not have wanted to sell him, like Igor, hoping for a good season to bring his value back up.
    Unlikely with another year gone on his contract.
  • Missed It said:

This is what happens when the total extent of scouting a striker is to look at last year's top scorer chart.

For the money they've wasted on players they actually had no clue about a sensible manager could have had us in the premier league by now.

In this case it's more the problem (which many clubs have faced) of having separate recruitment and coaching.

Ajose can definitely do a job in this division, he's no PP, but you need to play to his strengths, and neither Slade nor KR set us up that way
  • Hasn't had a hugely prolific career but seemed to have found his form at Swindon and on that basis he was a logical signing. Didn't look good at any point for us and visibly didn't fit into Robinson's style so it makes sense to move him on. Once again though, we're failing to get any money back for our mistakes and that has to change. The cut our losses approach to signings just creates budget problems down the line whenever we try to rebuild and we're looking to carry it on again here
  • Sponsored links:

• Good move for him but not sure he was finished with us just yet.
  • Best finisher at the club just left. He's all round game might not be all that but if he played same number of games as the others he would score the most.
  • Essex_Al said:

They have certainly bought in some decent players for this level suggesting money but I read a couple of weeks back their fans are not sure where it is coming from and the club has had some CCJs dropped on it so they will be interesting to watch.

I
    Bury have gone someway to balancing the books lately though - they've just flogged their star striker for £900,000 (quite possibly the highest earner on their books) and replaced him with a loan on subsidised wages.

• A disappointment. Can't blame anyone for snapping him up in 2016 after he hit 25 for Swindon and the line was we needed a proven League One striker.

But.........

Agree with the statement that the Swindon stuff may have just been a flash in the pan after all. Missing too is any idea of whether he's one of those crash and burn players who are great at 16-17 but can't come to terms with being released by 'a Premiership club' and gradually drift down the Leagues.

Danny Haynes anyone?
  • edited July 2017
    Flew high in the League One top scorers - we swooped in and purchased a striker who had set tactics almost systematically revolving around him at Swindon, of which I doubt those picking him were entirely clued up on. He flopped here, most likely as he needs to be fed consistently, if Bury have done their research about what he needs to score steadily - we will see him pop in with a goal every 2/3 games.

He is a better finisher than most at our Club, Tony Watt has 12 goals in 70 matches in Champ (shorter period)/LO. Ajose has 35 goals in 74 matches in LO.
  • Oggy Red said:

Essex_Al said:

They have certainly bought in some decent players for this level suggesting money but I read a couple of weeks back their fans are not sure where it is coming from and the club has had some CCJs dropped on it so they will be interesting to watch.

I
    Bury have gone someway to balancing the books lately though - they've just flogged their star striker for £900,000 (quite possibly the highest earner on their books) and replaced him with a loan on subsidised wages.

Do we know he's on subsidized wages, or are we assuming?
  • Semi-disappointed about this, still dont think we have ever set up for him and he has had a fair chance. Early last season scored a few goals early but feel if we needed to change system he would fit in perfect and would be a goalscorer. In the right team would score more than Magdennis, but not the end of the world as we are going to stick to KR formation for the season.
  • This regime's Izale mcloud. Looked good for about 5 mins and then toilet.

The only time I saw Mcloud looking good for 5 minutes was during his YouTube compilation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Semi-disappointed about this, still dont think we have ever set up for him and he has had a fair chance. Early last season scored a few goals early but feel if we needed to change system he would fit in perfect and would be a goalscorer. In the right team would score more than Magdennis, but not the end of the world as we are going to stick to KR formation for the season.

I don't think Robinson has a change of system in him. We had long periods of bad results and he stated he didn't have the players to suit the system. A good manager surely recognises this and uses the players he has at his disposal.

This not a pop at him I like him and want to see what does this season

I don't think Robinson has a change of system in him. We had long periods of bad results and he stated he didn't have the players to suit the system. A good manager surely recognises this and uses the players he has at his disposal.

This not a pop at him I like him and want to see what does this season
    Agreed, one of my biggest concerns. I dont mind KR but i do think we might struggle if we need a plan B/C. Hope he proves me wrong
  • Scoham said:
    Incredibly frustrating. And baffling given Bury have just sold James Vaughn.
  • SDAddick said:

Scoham said:
    It's not baffling when we've got Katrien doing the negotiations. I'm surprised she didn't say to Bury, "Don't worry about the wages or the loan fee, we'll cover it."
  • Sage said:

SDAddick said:

Scoham said:
    It's not baffling when we've got Katrien doing the negotiations. I'm surprised she didn't say to Bury, "Don't worry about the wages or the loan fee, we'll cover it."
    Yeah.... :/
  • edited July 2017
    Dont really understand why we agreed to a loan deal when we are apparently covering nearly all his wages. He doesnt want to be here,the club dont want him here,Bury is his home town,surely there was a sale deal to be done?!
  • edited July 2017

A disappointment. Can't blame anyone for snapping him up in 2016 after he hit 25 for Swindon and the line was we needed a proven League One striker.

But.........

Agree with the statement that the Swindon stuff may have just been a flash in the pan after all. Missing too is any idea of whether he's one of those crash and burn players who are great at 16-17 but can't come to terms with being released by 'a Premiership club' and gradually drift down the Leagues.

Danny Haynes anyone?

From what I saw of them both in a Charlton shirt, Danny Haynes was miles more effective than Ajose. It was only injuries that held him back from being a regular player in a very decent Championship side.

Ajose on the other hand just never looked interested.

• cafctom said:

A disappointment. Can't blame anyone for snapping him up in 2016 after he hit 25 for Swindon and the line was we needed a proven League One striker.

But.........

Danny Haynes anyone?

From what I saw of them both in a Charlton shirt, Danny Haynes was miles more effective than Ajose. It was only injuries that held him back from being a regular player in a very decent Championship side.

Ajose on the other hand just never looked interested.

I think the comparison was less between the two players themselves and more about what happens when players are cut from top sides as youngsters.

That said, Danny Haynes started at Ipswich...
  • edited July 2017
    Scoham said:
    Probably a question for the likes of @Airman Brown to answer. Who helps KM when it comes to negotiating the fees and contracts? Is it just her or are there other characters and aides

The reason being at the start of the RD reign, we had a lot of moving players around the network and she probably didn't have to do that much. Now that's no longer an option, has she just been left to it

The lessons should've been learnt after the summer of Sarr etc, yet here we are again, a year later, subsiding our marque signing of last summer on loan, to a club in our division.
  • cabbles said:

Scoham said:
    Probably a question for the likes of @Airman Brown to answer. Who helps KM when it comes to negotiating the fees and contracts? Is it just her or are there other characters and aides

The reason being at the start of the RD reign, we had a lot of moving players around the network and she probably didn't have to do that much. Now that's no longer an option, has she just been left to it

The lessons should've been learnt after the summer of Sarr etc, yet here we are again, a year later, subsiding our marque signing of last summer on loan, to a club in our division.
    I'm sure Katrien doesn't feel she needs any help.