Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welling v Charlton - Match Thread

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Lol found them sorry
  • Options

The mile walk along the main drag from station to ground takes you past a spectacular 1970s time-warped Greek taverna, with red tiled roof and rough adobe-style whitewashed walls. Photos in window show D-list tribute acts who entertain at weekends: bubble perms, padded shoulders, jacket sleeves rolled up high. Soup-in-a-basket and rubber chicken.

Attendance was markedly lower than in previous years; presumably some folk chose the evening game instead. We had plenty of possession in midfield, yet failed to thread the killer pass. I studied our patterns of play advancing on the right: Stewart made runs without being supplied, wrong options were taken by player in possession: sideways passes that put recipient under pressure. Our shooting was laughably wayward, as usual.

After the mass substitutions – seniors off and youngsters on – the play was brighter, brisker. Easy on the eye, yet nothing in the whole afternoon to stir the blood. Was quite impressed by Welling: sturdy in the tackle, fluent and tidy in their approach play, let down by weak finishing.

Comical at the end: traditional pitch 'invasion' – mums and dads and excited kids – but bloke on the tannoy got panicky and paranoid: “DO NOT ENTER THE FIELD OF PLAY! EVACUATE THE PITCH!” No-one took a blind bit of notice. “EVACUATE! EVACUATE!”

We were obviously at different games & I suggest you watch the match highlights on the other thread. Stewart got the ball more often than not & supplied some of the best crosses since Lloyd Sam at Liverpool in our last Premiership away game. I admit our shooting wasn't the best, but wayward ???? Aribo had a couple of daisy cutters (as did MaGennnis) but they were all there or thereabouts & Aribo had a great shot that their keeper had to palm away for a corner (which I think we then scored from) - I don't remember any going high. wide or handsome & don't remembver ant lost balls into the park as in previous years. We wren't at our best at the passing might not have been that crisp, but I was happy with a lot of what I saw - esp Stewart, Aribo & Lapslie. The 2nd half was a bit Meh (didn't help that we had no idea who came on as the tannoy announcer obviously went home with the takings) and although the "kids" ran around a bit there was no real end product apart from the goal.
  • Options
    We need to strengthen for the Championship now.
  • Options
    uie2 said:

Is there any highlights?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH7bQYANjK8
  • Options

The mile walk along the main drag from station to ground takes you past a spectacular 1970s time-warped Greek taverna, with red tiled roof and rough adobe-style whitewashed walls. Photos in window show D-list tribute acts who entertain at weekends: bubble perms, padded shoulders, jacket sleeves rolled up high. Soup-in-a-basket and rubber chicken.

Attendance was markedly lower than in previous years; presumably some folk chose the evening game instead. We had plenty of possession in midfield, yet failed to thread the killer pass. I studied our patterns of play advancing on the right: Stewart made runs without being supplied, wrong options were taken by player in possession: sideways passes that put recipient under pressure. Our shooting was laughably wayward, as usual.

After the mass substitutions – seniors off and youngsters on – the play was brighter, brisker. Easy on the eye, yet nothing in the whole afternoon to stir the blood. Was quite impressed by Welling: sturdy in the tackle, fluent and tidy in their approach play, let down by weak finishing.

Comical at the end: traditional pitch 'invasion' – mums and dads and excited kids – but bloke on the tannoy got panicky and paranoid: “DO NOT ENTER THE FIELD OF PLAY! EVACUATE THE PITCH!” No-one took a blind bit of notice. “EVACUATE! EVACUATE!”

We were obviously at different games & I suggest you watch the match highlights on the other thread. Stewart got the ball more often than not & supplied some of the best crosses since Lloyd Sam at Liverpool in our last Premiership away game. I admit our shooting wasn't the best, but wayward ???? Aribo had a couple of daisy cutters (as did MaGennnis) but they were all there or thereabouts & Aribo had a great shot that their keeper had to palm away for a corner (which I think we then scored from) - I don't remember any going high. wide or handsome & don't remembver ant lost balls into the park as in previous years. We wren't at our best at the passing might not have been that crisp, but I was happy with a lot of what I saw - esp Stewart, Aribo & Lapslie. The 2nd half was a bit Meh (didn't help that we had no idea who came on as the tannoy announcer obviously went home with the takings) and although the "kids" ran around a bit there was no real end product apart from the goal.
    I was at the same game as Viewfinder. Slow, pedestrian passing, little dynamic movement and pretty boring. Stewart and Kashi were ok while Bayer is not a good player, even at this level

• Options
    uie2 said:

Is there any highlights?

Are there any highlights?
  • Options

I was at the same game as Viewfinder. Slow, pedestrian passing, little dynamic movement and pretty boring. Stewart and Kashi were ok while Bayer is not a good player, even at this level

I think he's off to Leverkusen anyway.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Swisdom said:

seth plum said:

Very pleased to see others appreciating Lapslie. Let us nurture and not exploit.

I feel he is a player some people just won't "get". But I see him as one of those who knits things together.

I Agree and really hope we nurture him and he gets a chance this season

Having watched the extended highlights (along with having seen him play for the U-23s a couple times), I can now see both with Seth rates him so highly, and also why you think some won't get him. He looks a very tidy player. He seems clever with his movement and his ability to find space. I think the question with him as he develops will be: is there an end product? I also think he needs to nail down a place as a central midfielder. Unlike on the wing or behind the forward, a central midfielder has more leeway in terms of not needing to be flashy. I believe he's played there for the U-23s, and I'm hoping that becomes his primary position this season (and that he's given a run out for the first team in the Nonsense Cup).
  • Options
    We (when I say we, I mean the U23s) are playing Welling this evening at PVR - is that right?
  • Options
    We are according to the Welling web site...i'm usually on the ball with the Kent Cup Games,I had no idea this was on..thanks for the heads up.I'lll pop along.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It would appear ten man Welling gave a good account of themselves against a strong (not under 23) Charlton last night.
    https://cafc.co.uk/news/view/59c2d7fdf0969/kent-senior-cup-report-welling-united-0-charlton-1
  • Options
    We were bang average last night with most of the senior pros strolling round like they really would rather have been doing something else. Only Sarr looked decent. In fact I wouldnlike to get him in the team - he looks imperious at the moment and I'd be tempted to rotate him for Bauer.

Yao looked hopeless and did nothing other than give the ball away and start a ridiculous scuffle over a nothing tackle. One particularly poor pass had Robinson laughing and shaking his head.

Dodoo looked lost. The fact he is our only senior back-up striker is an utter joke. If Magennis gets injured we have a huge problem because make no mistake this kid is useless.

Don't think we'll be seeing Jackson in midfield anytime soon. His passing was appalling and Nanetti the Welling number 10 gave him the run around all night.

Only real hi-light was a lovely strike from Sarr for the goal.

Watched the U23s last season in this cup and the current lot look a shadow of that side.

Finally, WTF are we doing indulging Roger Johnson? The bloke is a class a prick and was booked for mouthing the ref last night. I'm sure he has something on Katrine.
  • Options
    On or in?
  • Options
    Probably got photos from in the toilets allegedly *sniff*