Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

50 Million for Kyle Walker!!!

Comments

• Options
    Whatever it is, it must be a record fee received for them, i can't think of any other player who's left them for 5m or more
  • Options
    Absolutely nuts this is.

We fell out of the EPL as the money started really to ramp up and I bet the moment we ever get back to that level again that is when that bubble bursts! We have never been a lucky club with regards to finances as long as I have known.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what's worse, paying 50m for Walker or 50m for Sigurdsson.

There's no question that Spurs will be delighted as they have Trippier, but Swansea will be losing their best player.
  • Options

Absolutely nuts this is.

We fell out of the EPL as the money started really to ramp up and I bet the moment we ever get back to that level again that is when that bubble bursts! We have never been a lucky club with regards to finances as long as I have known.

But it's all relative. Clubs have increased revenue from the TV deal but have bigger expenditures from higher transfer fees, wages etc.
  • Options
    ridiculous .. Walker and Levy are laughing all the way to the bank .. that's a nice few quid towards the cost of the new White Hart Lane drum ..

I have only seen Trippier play in the second tier for Burnley where he was VERY impressive, more versatile if not as powerful going forwards as Walker .. has Pep/Pip/Pop signed the wrong player ?
  • Options
    RD'll never pay it!

Move on.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    The problem is that there is no such thing as too much for Man City - If their is a player they need, they just go out and get him. Where they have to be careful is when the team they purchase a player from is a rival, can that team make itself stronger with the money?

Still pretty depressing - it doesn't improve football - it just makes it feel less and less like a game for the supporters.
  • Options

Bonnuci up for sale for £35m. Only 3 years older.

He also doesn't rely on 90% of his game being about his pace and energy......which tend to be 2 of the first things to go the older you get.
  • Options
    Whilst an absolute bargain, i think there's certain circumstances around the Bonucci transfer price. Apparently he's a) fallen out with Allegri and b) he has a child who's quite ill so he doesn't want to leave italy. So there's not many clubs there who can afford him.

If it wasn't for that i'm sure he'd be on his way to City or Chelsea for almost double the price.
  • Options

The money PL clubs are making now from TV rights is obscene and the inflation in those is leading to ridiculous transfer fees. Unless the rights start being sold for less then these fees are just going to get more and more outrageous.

Will we ever see a £1billion player? At the start of the PL you would have been laughed out of the room for suggesting a club would get £50mill for an average defender. Who knows where this madness will take us.

It'd be great if a small percentage of these fees went to a good cause, Education, NHS etc. Or a charitable donation.

I mean, these fees are taxed I imagine...

Never rated Walker. Made a bit of a fool of myself on here by saying I wouldn't take him to the Euros. Looked silly for the first couple games, but then his weaknesses started to show. His positioning and reading of the game isn't great. His pace gets him out of a lot of trouble though. And as we saw in the last two games at the Euros, if teams are compact and sit deep, he has no idea what to do with the ball.

That said, think he'll look good at City with the high pressing, quick style Pep wants to play. It relies so much on pace and athleticism from the fullbacks, and Zabaleta didn't have that, and Sagna isn't very good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

ridiculous .. Walker and Levy are laughing all the way to the bank .. that's a nice few quid towards the cost of the new White Hart Lane drum ..

I have only seen Trippier play in the second tier for Burnley where he was VERY impressive, more versatile if not as powerful going forwards as Walker .. has Pep/Pip/Pop signed the wrong player ?

He came through the City Academy. But what Pep needs is pace and athleticism, and Trippier's isn't near to what Walker's is. Trippier's delivery is better, and he's a better defender, but Walker fits the City system better.

As an aside, can you imagine what it's like to sign players to fit your system? Must be fun (to be fair we've done that this summer).
  • Options
    Good business for spurs. They do seem to get top dollar for their players.
  • Options
    Market forces. These figures are just ridiculous but the TV money has just escalated wages and transfer fees to an astronomical level. Messi, I believe is getting 1M per week. Nice job if you can get it.
  • Options
    Aren't the fees subject to VAT? If so some of it does go to education, NHS etc.

What if it was a charity you didn't like?

Would you expect every company to make an extra donation when they make an expensive purchase?

Unless you have a planned economy stupid prices will happen.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

One of the most overrated players of recent times.

Don't agree on what I have seen over last couple of years, really improved IMO since Pochettino went Spurs. However, I do agree that 50mil is unbelievable, even in this day and age.
  • Options

Sheffield United get £9m apparently

You sure it's that much? I read they get 10% so it'll be 5m.

Think they had a sell on fee for Maguire as well and he just went for 17m
    No idea, just what I've been told. Either way, a lot of money.
  • Options
    Just when you thought that the transfer market can't get any more ridiculous, Kyle Walker goes for $50Million!

I know that he has real pace, but if you can match that, then he has nothing else in his locker.

Poor passer of the ball, can't mark on set plays, gets caught out of position and has a poor delivery from crosses.

If he is worth $50M, then what on earth would a versatile and top class operator like Azpuliceta at Chelsea be worth?
  • Options

Just when you thought that the transfer market can't get any more ridiculous, Kyle Walker goes for $50Million!

I know that he has real pace, but if you can match that, then he has nothing else in his locker.

Poor passer of the ball, can't mark on set plays, gets caught out of position and has a poor delivery from crosses.

If he is worth $50M, then what on earth would a versatile and top class operator like Azpuliceta at Chelsea be worth?

England does not produce a lot of top quality players, and because of the homegrown players rule, the market for those who are even halfway decent is massively inflated. One of the many ways to fix this is to produce better players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Obviously he's not worth anywhere near that but Levy could name any price he wanted for 3 reasons:

1. City desperately need a right back
    2. They also need English players
    3. Money is no object for City

This.

It's much more than just 'is the player worth it', as I'm sure Spurs don't really want to arm one of their title rivals a key player, and therefore they're going to have to pay big to get him.

• Options
    Kyle walker is worth more than CAFC and Millwall combined.
    Bonkers
  • Options
    A while ago I totalled up out entire transfer history. I think it came to about 70m (happy to be corrected).

That's all our transfers. Ever.
  • Options

Kyle walker is worth more than CAFC and Millwall combined.
    Bonkers

Roy Walker is worth more than CAFC and Millwall
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

In all honesty, I fear for Walker at City. I wish him all the best as he's been a good servant to Spurs but without Alderweirald covering and coaching him through every game and without the likes of Wanyama and Dembele mopping up in front of him, it wont be long before he is found out big time.

I tend to agree. I think the pressing intensity Pep wants at City will mask some of his errors.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Don't agree on what I have seen over last couple of years, really improved IMO since Pochettino went Spurs. However, I do agree that 50mil is unbelievable, even in this day and age.
    All he has is his pace. If he doesn't beat a man by running past them watch him look as if you've asked him to explain string theory. He's a very average defender too.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

I agree that he has improved. I think some of that is down to a system of pressing where he played as a wingback even before they went to three-at-the-back. But what City will presumably want to build is a team capable of winning the league and the Champions League and I feel Walker is short of that.

All this said, how many right backs of the highest quality are out there in the game? Bellerin is very good and would fit the system and I think would count as hoemgrown, but I believe they sounded him out at one point and he's happy at Arsenal.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

JohnBoyUK said:

In all honesty, I fear for Walker at City. I wish him all the best as he's been a good servant to Spurs but without Alderweirald covering and coaching him through every game and without the likes of Wanyama and Dembele mopping up in front of him, it wont be long before he is found out big time.

I tend to agree. I think the pressing intensity Pep wants at City will mask some of his errors.
    If Pep can buy a keeper because he's better with his feet, then I imagine actual defending won't be a priority for his full backs anyway!