Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts from first pre season friendlies

2»

Comments

• Options
    They are entitled to a view and their view may be correct.
  • Options

A long season awaits.

It's the same length for us as it is for everyone else unless we make the play offs and I presume you don't think that will happen!
  • Options

It's OK talking about players achieving fitness and building team spirit .. BUT .. we had our most 'experienced' goalkeeper making elementary mistakes and even more worryingly, as I can't see that Phillips will be our regular goalkeeper this season, our forwards were almost incapable of scoring or even getting many shots on target against the better teams in the last two games ..
    IF Robinson insists on playing one up front with two wide men and a 'number 10', I can't see the current personnel coming close to scoring the number of goals required to maintain a promotion effort, even though Marshall and Holmes will create a lot of chances (we hope)..
    BUT, It is still early days and we will have to wait and see what happens during the much more difficult friendlies we have lined up against the East Anglians when I hope a coherent pattern of play and consistent selection will become clearer

3 games in 3 days was not smart and just opens players up to potential injury. if you just view it a purely an exercise in getting fit then maybe it was worth while.

Did he ever put out his first team? I would say not, so again not worth judging the team at this stage.

Psychologically we looked fragile last year and the results I cant imagine will have helped that, I think the fans optimism with Holmes signing and no-one leaving may well evaporate quickly if performances continue in the same vain.

Are you better qualified then than Robinson, Bowyer and Jackson plus the rest of the backroom staff ?. Lets at least save judgment until after a few league games
    Better qualified at science than Lee Bowyer...? Yeah.

In his like "get to know the new coach" segment on VP they asked him what he'd be if he wasn't a footballer and he said "Doctor" I believe, then when asked what subject at school he was good at apart from PE, he could not name one.
  • Options

A long season awaits.

It's the same length for us as it is for everyone else unless we make the play offs and I presume you don't think that will happen!
    It could happen but as things stand I think it is less likely to happen than to happen. Some targeted strengthening and that could change.
  • Options

A long season awaits.

You presume right.
  • Options

A long season awaits.

It could happen but as things stand I think it is less likely to happen than to happen. Some targeted strengthening and that could change.
    Yes and I should have said - some targeted strengthening that is highly unlikely to occur
  • Options
    It's all sounding a bit like England, lots of quite similar winger type players and not enough who can do one position really well..
  • Options
    the default is to have goals through the side. Have we got enough?
  • Options
    Didn't watch them. They are early friendlies, results really do not matter.

May take the edge off some who thought 4 wins against opponents not good enough for league one at the end of last season, a small handful of average league one player acquisitions and the return of Kashi after 2 years out was going to see us walk the league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Relegated by Easter.
  • Options
    All I would add is that Tex looked good at right back and Barnes looks ready. Impressed with KAG from the half way line to the penalty box but needs to improve his decision making around the box.
  • Options

May take the edge off some who thought 4 wins against opponents not good enough for league one at the end of last season, a small handful of average league one player acquisitions and the return of Kashi after 2 years out was going to see us walk the league.

I'm not sure if that's hyperbole, but I don't think ANYONE thought we were going to walk the league.
  • Options
    Didn't realise they were even on!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

It's OK talking about players achieving fitness and building team spirit .. BUT .. we had our most 'experienced' goalkeeper making elementary mistakes and even more worryingly, as I can't see that Phillips will be our regular goalkeeper this season, our forwards were almost incapable of scoring or even getting many shots on target against the better teams in the last two games ..
    IF Robinson insists on playing one up front with two wide men and a 'number 10', I can't see the current personnel coming close to scoring the number of goals required to maintain a promotion effort, even though Marshall and Holmes will create a lot of chances (we hope)..
    BUT, It is still early days and we will have to wait and see what happens during the much more difficult friendlies we have lined up against the East Anglians when I hope a coherent pattern of play and consistent selection will become clearer

3 games in 3 days was not smart and just opens players up to potential injury. if you just view it a purely an exercise in getting fit then maybe it was worth while.

Did he ever put out his first team? I would say not, so again not worth judging the team at this stage.

Psychologically we looked fragile last year and the results I cant imagine will have helped that, I think the fans optimism with Holmes signing and no-one leaving may well evaporate quickly if performances continue in the same vain.

Are you better qualified then than Robinson, Bowyer and Jackson plus the rest of the backroom staff ?. Lets at least save judgment until after a few league games
    Better qualified at science than Lee Bowyer...? Yeah.

In his like "get to know the new coach" segment on VP they asked him what he'd be if he wasn't a footballer and he said "Doctor" I believe, then when asked what subject at school he was good at apart from PE, he could not name one.
    Like a lot of us on here, I know the school he went to, probably some are from the same school. Not that I know anything about US schools but think of a regular south Chicago school, and I think you've got a snapshot. I don't want to say it didn't produce many doctors, but it's a stretch imagining Lee Bowyer at school saying "I wanna be a doctor".

But then again, look at all the footballers who seem to be brain dead off the pitch but on the pitch they display an intelligence we queue up to watch. Gascoigne for example.

I don't think any of us can tell whether JJ or Bowyer will be good coaches. There is no correlation between what we have seen on the pitch and what happens when they move into coaching and management. Jack and Bobby Charlton, for example. Or closer to home, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have expected that Mark Kinsella, a fine footballer and leader, would have a future in coaching and management.

The frightening thing is that none of the three in charge now are proven to be good coaches.
  • Options

We can't really judge until it's a 1st choice starting XI.
  • Options

ucd and limerick both play in the top Irish football division, although losing by the scoreline we did last night is a tad embarrassing, unsure i would say what level they are at but would say lower conference national, when you put it like that then its a slip up, personally i don't give a shit about freindlies would hope we improve in the next few, as if they were for fitness then they have served there purpose, the lee bowyer gimick last night was stupid and embarrassing, might of been for a bit of fun for the fans, but you sell the club and fuck off back to belgium and that would have me grinning from ear to ear.

What was the 'Lee Bowyer gimmick ' @palarsehater ?

• Options
    The Limerick chairman said there were about 700 there.
  • Options

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

The Limerick chairman said there were about 700 there.

About 200 at UCD.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

ucd and limerick both play in the top Irish football division, although losing by the scoreline we did last night is a tad embarrassing, unsure i would say what level they are at but would say lower conference national, when you put it like that then its a slip up, personally i don't give a shit about freindlies would hope we improve in the next few, as if they were for fitness then they have served there purpose, the lee bowyer gimick last night was stupid and embarrassing, might of been for a bit of fun for the fans, but you sell the club and fuck off back to belgium and that would have me grinning from ear to ear.

putting him on the bench, just thought it was a very pointless attempt at banter
  • Options

putting him on the bench, just thought it was a very pointless attempt at banter
    UGH - didn't know they'd done this. I agree.
  • Options

UGH - didn't know they'd done this. I agree.
    I have been released from the Garda.
  • Options

I'm not sure if that's hyperbole, but I don't think ANYONE thought we were going to walk the league.
    Not walk the league but no excuses this season if promotion is not acquired.
  • Options

I am somewhat in agreement with this. Normal pre-seasons haven't worked. I saw this as shake up to the ordinary and also it sent a message to the players.

Ceballos showed them all up for fitness.
  • Options
    To me the most interesting thing is that the "loaned out players" Sarr and Ceballos made more of an impression than 2 of Slade's signings, Novak and Ajose. I always thought Ceballos should have been given more of a chance in the first place, as he was completely ignored for most of the relegation season, and can't have been any worse than many of the players chosen instead.

With Barnes and Tex, will KR decide not to get another RB?
    Pearce is 1st choice CB, but who plays alongside him as we are massively spoilt for choice if Sarr and Tex stay.

A shame JFC has been injured, as I'm sure he will be a first choice centre midfielder (alongside Kashi)
  • Options
    Of the regular players at the end of last season, when form recovered slightly, Charlton has lost: the goalie, both leftbacks, and cover at rightback. None of these have been replaced, nor have any of those places been filled by players returning from loans or injury. Phillips might prove to be good enough in goal but there is absolutely no cover, Ashley Barnes might be adequate cover for Solly's bad knees but he has almost no first team experience at all.
    Without replacements for those departees the squad can only be less adequate than last term. Some players have arrived but not in areas where clear vacancies exist. The absence of interest in any of Charlton's castoffs is the best reflection of the quality with which KR, and the wage bill, is lumbered.
    The friendlies so far have loudly reaffirmed the inadequacies and shortages. Not loud enough apparently for the club to have addressed them it seems. Any replacements arriving after now, won't have had KR's much vaunted pre-season and will have to get up to speed physically at the same time as trying to blend into the fat scouse gobshite's system. As for what that system is actually supposed to look like, I've been watching it now for 7 months or more and I still have no idea.
    In the increasingly unlikely situation that the 4 glaring vacancies are filled Charlton might have a chance of equalling last season's 13th placed finish. Far more likely that KR will pay the price for the squad's inadequacy and some other mercenary chump will get to dance to the septuagenarian shit4brains's discordant tune from about November or December.
    Ho hum... roly's toxic pantomime gets more macabre as time passes, we're gonna need a whole new lexicon of despair, fury and bewilderment to reflect the kaleidoscopic nightmare.
  • Options

Of the regular players at the end of last season, when form recovered slightly, Charlton has lost: the goalie, both leftbacks, and cover at rightback. None of these have been replaced, nor have any of those places been filled by players returning from loans or injury. Phillips might prove to be good enough in goal but there is absolutely no cover, Ashley Barnes might be adequate cover for Solly's bad knees but he has almost no first team experience at all.
    Without replacements for those departees the squad can only be less adequate than last term. Some players have arrived but not in areas where clear vacancies exist. The absence of interest in any of Charlton's castoffs is the best reflection of the quality with which KR, and the wage bill, is lumbered.
    The friendlies so far have loudly reaffirmed the inadequacies and shortages. Not loud enough apparently for the club to have addressed them it seems. Any replacements arriving after now, won't have had KR's much vaunted pre-season and will have to get up to speed physically at the same time as trying to blend into the fat scouse gobshite's system. As for what that system is actually supposed to look like, I've been watching it now for 7 months or more and I still have no idea.
    In the increasingly unlikely situation that the 4 glaring vacancies are filled Charlton might have a chance of equalling last season's 13th placed finish. Far more likely that KR will pay the price for the squad's inadequacy and some other mercenary chump will get to dance to the septuagenarian shit4brains's discordant tune from about November or December.
    Ho hum... roly's toxic pantomime gets more macabre as time passes, we're gonna need a whole new lexicon of despair, fury and bewilderment to reflect the kaleidoscopic nightmare.

But the main thing is you are alright? god i need a pick me up after reading all of that.
  • Options
    Ben Hamer
    Chris Solly
    Matt Taylor/Leon Cort
    Rhoys Wiggins
    Michael Morrison
    Danny Hollands
    Johnnie Jackson
    Dale Stephens
    Scott Wagstaff/Danny Green
    Kermorgant
    Bradley Wright-Phillips

League winning team.

Whatever we are now it's a long long long way away from this.
  • Options
    The results don't really bother me but what does is the fact that we appear so disorganised as a unit.

We appear rigid in our formation and very predictable without being good defensively and whilst we have a lot of the ball in midfield we don't create that many chances.

I wish Tarbuck would ditch the system as I don't think we have the players or indeed the wherewithal to make it work.