Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Preview and Updates - Limerick FC v Charlton Athletic -PSF - 11 July 2017|KO 7.45

Comments

• Options

Noticed Tarbuck is now down to needing 3 more players.....numbers are dwindling with every interview.

Or has Ceballos replaced the need for Reeves?
    In that case we'd still need a winger, GK, RB and LB to give us 2 per position.

Could be because we're struggling to get rid of the players we don't want. Six CBs and five strikers (excluding Clarke) give us a lot more than 2 per position.
  • Options
    Just like Labour and Remainers we lost.......Get over it.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Scoham said:

Noticed Tarbuck is now down to needing 3 more players.....numbers are dwindling with every interview.

Could be because we're struggling to get rid of the players we don't want. Six CBs and five strikers (excluding Clarke) give us a lot more than 2 per position.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but we've got the following for each position?

Defensive Midfielders: Konsa | Kashi | Crofts | Forster-Caskey | Jackson | Dijksteel
    Right-Midfield: Fosu | Marshall | Ahearne-Grant
    Left-Midfield: Holmes | Ceballos | Ahearne-Grant
    No.10 Role: Clarke | Ceballos | Watt | Aribo

I've put those players in italics who could potentially (?) play another role - i.e. Konsa (CB) | Jackson (LB) | Watt (CF)

At the moment the priority for me is certainly the Left-Back slot with Goalkeeper close behind (Simply because I dont like the thought of Phillips having to be covered by Maynard-Brewer or Beeney at the moment)

Edit: I've just remembered to add Ahearne-Grant on both the Right and Left of Midfield as he's been performing there (rather than as a Striker) so far in pre-season and have also added Dijksteel in Defensive Midfield IF he were to breakthrough this season
  • Options

Scoham said:

Defensive Midfielders: Konsa | Kashi | Crofts | Forster-Caskey | Jackson
    Right-Midfield: Fosu | Marshall
    Left-Midfield: Holmes | Ceballos

I've put those players in italics who could potentially (?) play another role - i.e. Konsa (CB) | Jackson (LB) | Watt (CF)

At the moment the priority for me is certainly the Left-Back slot with Goalkeeper close behind (Simply because I dont like the thought of Phillips having to be covered by Maynard-Brewer or Beeney at the moment)
    No Jacko cannot play LB!
  • Options

Scoham said:

No Jacko cannot play LB!
    Agreed he shouldnt be playing Left-Back but he is being played at Left-Back, not just pre-season but last season too
  • Options
    I suspect we are playing three games in three days to save on hotel expenses - the club didn't want to finance two trips to Ireland in quick succession in the first place (understandably).
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Scoham said:

No Jacko cannot play LB!
    Agreed he shouldnt be playing Left-Back but he is being played at Left-Back, not just pre-season but last season too
    He shouldn't be any better any 4th choice LB. With Page injured, obviously it's paramount to get one in (assuming it will be Da Silva). Barnes should certainly start LB ahead of Jackson.
    Left-Back pecking order should be: Dasilva | Page... third choice should be Lennon OR Barnes

(i.e. If we're already struggling at Right Back then Barnes shouldn't be an option to cover at LB, same with if we're already struggling for Centre-Backs we shouldn't be relying on Lennon to be cover at LB)

Jackson I hope will be confined to the Bench (if we have a lot of injuries) and be there to come on if we're chasing for a goal (and we dont have another option) as he still knows when to get into the box or if we're protecting a 1-goal lead and are being over-ran in Midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Scoham said:

No Jacko cannot play LB!
    He shouldn't be any better any 4th choice LB. With Page injured, obviously it's paramount to get one in (assuming it will be Da Silva). Barnes should certainly start LB ahead of Jackson.
    Left-Back pecking order should be: Dasilva | Page... third choice should be Lennon OR Barnes

(i.e. If we're already struggling at Right Back then Barnes shouldn't be an option to cover at LB, same with if we're already struggling for Centre-Backs we shouldn't be relying on Lennon to be cover at LB)

Jackson I hope will be confined to the Bench (if we have a lot of injuries) and be there to come on if we're chasing for a goal (and we dont have another option) as he still knows when to get into the box or if we're protecting a 1-goal lead and are being over-ran in Midfield.
    Yeah don't disagree at all. Cannot imagine Jacko starting many games, if any, this season.
  • Options

In your defence, I would be surprised if Robinson is keen to keep him. But surely a guy who has played in the Champions League has the ability to play in League 1.

Well Mowgli, our resident Football Manager scout certainly thought so!

Also, there have been dozens of teams with squads full of sub League 1 standard players to qualify for the Champions League by default, due to the standard of domestic competition.

ok go on then, tell me the dozens of teams who have qualified for the Champions League group stages who couldn't cut it in League 1?
    To be honest I don't really feel the need to justify my argument anymore than I already have. You needn't look far though if you fancied doing a bit of research - I never mentioned the latter stages of the competition either.

And you'll noticed I haven't had a pop at you for digging out KAG - a promising 19 year old academy graduate who is also one of our own. I thought he played very well. A positive and hard working performance.

You're entitled to your opinion ;)
    Let's dig out a 23 year old centre back instead? Who has played just 12 times for us...

Sarr last night outplayed fan favourite Bauer (not tough when Bauer just didn't deal with stuff on the floor)

Not saying he was good, but he didn't put a foot wrong.

He's got a long contract, few teams will look at him because he was loaned out last season, so guess what... We may as well try and uncover the player Sporting knew they had.

I personally think his issue is similar to Llera. He just needs to concentrate and it'll all begin to come together.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

In your defence, I would be surprised if Robinson is keen to keep him. But surely a guy who has played in the Champions League has the ability to play in League 1.

Also, there have been dozens of teams with squads full of sub League 1 standard players to qualify for the Champions League by default, due to the standard of domestic competition.

ok go on then, tell me the dozens of teams who have qualified for the Champions League group stages who couldn't cut it in League 1?
    To be honest I don't really feel the need to justify my argument anymore than I already have. You needn't look far though if you fancied doing a bit of research - I never mentioned the latter stages of the competition either.

And you'll noticed I haven't had a pop at you for digging out KAG - a promising 19 year old academy graduate who is also one of our own. I thought he played very well. A positive and hard working performance.

Let's dig out a 23 year old centre back instead? Who has played just 12 times for us...

Sarr last night outplayed fan favourite Bauer (not tough when Bauer just didn't deal with stuff on the floor)

He's got a long contract, few teams will look at him because he was loaned out last season, so guess what... We may as well try and uncover the player Sporting knew they had.

I personally think his issue is similar to Llera. He just needs to concentrate and it'll all begin to come together.
    Was in bed thinking this last night...

the kid played for Sporting Lisbon, I know their fans were coming out with the usual rubbish when a player goes (i.e. Opposition Strikers will be disappointed that he's left) but still he played for one of the top Portuguese teams so must have something about him
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Dazzler21 said:

the kid played for Sporting Lisbon, I know their fans were coming out with the usual rubbish when a player goes (i.e. Opposition Strikers will be disappointed that he's left) but still he played for one of the top Portuguese teams so must have something about him
    And came through the Lyon academy where he was signed for Sporting. And played for France at U-20 and U-21 level. I know someone said he signed for a lot of money, but was it something like 2-2.5m? Forgive me if I'm way off on that, but that's not that much money. I know, for a club of out spending abilities, it puts him toward the top in terms of transfers, but it's not a ridiculous or obscene amount.

I still think there's a player in there. I'm not sure if he's right for League One, but I think he has ability, and with good coaching, he could turn out very decent at our level.
  • Options
    Saw it live. Random observations.
    Limerick scored the three best
    Goals and deserved it. When Li
    erick packed the defense towards the end we should have worked for corners in order to find a way through. We could do worse than getting their goalscorer (third goal) Irish born young and slippery only 19 has a chance to mess up but scored unnearringly.
    As far as I can see Watt can go Sewart is preventing a young player coming through and KAG hates his own left foot. Cebellos our best player. Josh invaluable. Meire not there Chris and Sue were.
    Very friendly atmosphere.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

erick packed the defense towards the end we should have worked for corners in order to find a way through. We could do worse than getting their goalscorer (third goal) Irish born young and slippery only 19 has a chance to mess up but scored unnearringly.
    As far as I can see Watt can go Sewart is preventing a young player coming through and KAG hates his own left foot. Cebellos our best player. Josh invaluable. Meire not there Chris and Sue were.

Who do you think would be better off in Stewart's place from the Youth choices? - Karlan?
  • Options
    No way in a million years was that a fixed result.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Who do you think would be better off in Stewart's place from the Youth choices? - Karlan?
    Doughty, Yamfam, Hanlan. I don't think Cameron Stewart is the answer. He is past his best. Doughty is really promising with pace to burn but is still very young.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

seth plum said:

Doughty, Yamfam, Hanlan. I don't think Cameron Stewart is the answer. He is past his best. Doughty is really promising with pace to burn but is still very young.
    Robinson is clearly not afraid to use youngsters and players from the academy ala Konsa, Barnes, KAG, aribo etc so I think it's safe to say if he thought doughty/yamfam were ready to step up they would be involved in the first team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

I know it's summer and people need their fix but I can't see the sense in over analysing friendlies. It's about getting some minutes into the legs, a little bit of early pattern style and slowly building up. While at the same time, maybe putting some players in the shop window and taking a look at the odd trialist/youngster.

Players don't go flat out in friendlies because they want to last the season and reach their peak in a few months time. They do train hard but not to go flat out in friendlies.

I saw us get a lucky draw at Aldershot with 7 new signings in 1985 and worried that we would be shit. I needn't have worried.....we peaked in the run in and cruised to promotion. Point being....I was wrong to get hung up on friendlies.

That could have been a good season if it wasn't for the Aldershot friendly result...oh, a certain relocation.

So there's the lesson of pre-season friendlies, win the fckers or shit happens
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

And came through the Lyon academy where he was signed for Sporting. And played for France at U-20 and U-21 level. I know someone said he signed for a lot of money, but was it something like 2-2.5m? Forgive me if I'm way off on that, but that's not that much money. I know, for a club of out spending abilities, it puts him toward the top in terms of transfers, but it's not a ridiculous or obscene amount.
    If I remember, Sarr was signed for around £1.7m - whether that was actually pounds or euros, I'm not sure.
    (Pre-Brexit the pound had a greater value against the Euro, so that could have affected the pound price substantially if paid in Euros).

Interestingly, Sporting Lisbon paid around 1m Euros for Sarr, giving him a 6 year contract (rumoured to have contained a €45m release clause!)
    It would seem that Charlton possibly took over his existing contract? And now you know why we cannot find a buyer for him for love nor money :-)

Remember, Charlton were trying to sign Sarr on loan that previous January window.
    If that had happened, we could have had a good look at Sarr on a try-before-you-buy basis first.

Like Dazzler suggested above, IMO concentration, composure and confidence is Sarr's issue.
    If he can sort out the mental approach to his game, I feel he could surprise a few people.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

seth plum said:

Robinson is clearly not afraid to use youngsters and players from the academy ala Konsa, Barnes, KAG, aribo etc so I think it's safe to say if he thought doughty/yamfam were ready to step up they would be involved in the first team.
    You can add Dijksteel and Hanlan to that mix.

Cameron Stewart is only 26. I think it's harsh to say that he's past his best at this stage. He's been out of the game for a year, and as such looks rusty. He's looked very inconsistent, but he's still had flashes of quality. I'm not saying he's going to be worth signing, but I do think he's worth keeping around for a couple more weeks to see if he can find some form again.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

You were in bed thinking about Naby Sarr?
    Haha knew this Question would be asked... Surprised it took so long!!
  • Options

@sethplum

Very impressive from your great niece. I think she's worked out that goalkeepers in women's football are pretty useless and any shot on target has half a chance. Impressive nonetheless.

I follow women's football and the keepers arnt all that bad, anyway some male keepers do that ;)
  • Options
    Limerick are clearly Champion's League contenders so we should not read too much into surrendering a two goal lead against such a well drilled elite outfit.

Perhaps we would look slightly more like a professional football team if the players were told to tuck their shirts in.

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

You were in bed thinking about Naby Sarr?
    Are you KM in disguise?
  • Options

Limerick are clearly Champion's League contenders so we should not read too much into surrendering a two goal lead against such a well drilled elite outfit.

Perhaps we would look slightly more like a professional football team if the players were told to tuck their shirts in.

Yeah, and smile more.