Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Preview and Updates - Limerick FC v Charlton Athletic -PSF - 11 July 2017|KO 7.45

Comments

• Funnily Sarr is one of those Defenders who'd be useful as a sub if we're chasing a goal and need someone to go up front.

He's a good threat in front of goal yet potentially that also in front of our goal and not just the oppositions

A forward then ?

• I remember the League cup game v Peterborough where Ba looked a very good Championship midfielder, certainly a cut above their midfield that day (albeit Peterborough started that season poorly).

My point is that even early season cup games can be deceptive, so really do not stress about a pre-season friendly. Having said that, still thought Watt, Bauer and KAG were poor.

Barnes showing signs of a decent FB (slightly out of best position) and Ceballos have been the big pluses for me so far.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Confirmed a couple of things for me.

Sarr is shit.

We need an experienced keeper.

Sarr did less wrong than Bauer ffs... some fans really see what they want to.
    sam3110 said:

Sarr is shit.

Why what did Sarr do that confirms he is shit?
    Bit of a touchy response... I say it as I see it and I'd advise you to have another watch of their third goal.

To be fair, my mind has already been made up on Sarr. Even before tonights game I thought he was useless. I thought he panicked under pressure and completely lost the man for their third/ was nowhere to be seen/out of position.

As Bauer was mentioned; he didn't play well, but I have seen him play well, therefore he is not shit. IMO.
  • Did Limerick basically play their strongest 11 throughout the match?

Having to play different teams in each half, and with a few players rested for minor injuries, will always stretch the squad depth and team understanding, but if there are weaknesses, it's good to have them revealed now.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Sarr is shit.

sam3110 said:

Sarr is shit.

Bit of a touchy response... I say it as I see it and I'd advise you to have another watch of their third goal.

To be fair, my mind has already been made up on Sarr. Even before tonights game I thought he was useless. I thought he panicked under pressure and completely lost the man for their third/ was nowhere to be seen/out of position.

As Bauer was mentioned; he didn't play well, but I have seen him play well, therefore he is not shit. IMO.
    Entitled to your opinion, still agree with others that criticising someone in a pre-season game for very little wrong is unfair. Of course, as you have admitted, you did so because your mind is made up and so the guy could have played like Beckenbauer and you would still criticise him.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Sarr is shit.

sam3110 said:

Sarr is shit.

Entitled to your opinion, still agree with others that criticising someone in a pre-season game for very little wrong is unfair. Of course, as you have admitted, you did so because your mind is made up and so the guy could have played like Beckenbauer and you would still criticise him.
    Sarr is a multi million pound flop who is symbollic of this regimes incompetence. I really don't rate him at all.

However if he started turning in performances to the standard of the all-time greatest defender in the world, then I am sure I could change my mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• I know early pre-season matches are not much more than a training exercise.

Bit I'm still a little surprised that we've got matches on successive days - it's quite a big ask of players with recovery time etc, at this stage of their fitness, especially against a fit team already in their own mid-season.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Sarr is shit.

sam3110 said:

Sarr is shit.

Sarr is a multi million pound flop who is symbollic of this regimes incompetence. I really don't rate him at all.

However if he started turning in performances to the standard of the all-time greatest defender in the world, then I am sure I could change my mind.
    He is also someone I am sure you have seen play on a handful of occasions. The point made above is that you are giving him stick because you don't rate him, and not necessarily for something he did/did not do in tonights game.

In your defence, I would be surprised if Robinson is keen to keep him. But surely a guy who has played in the Champions League has the ability to play in League 1.
  • Limerick were 14-1 to win the game before kick off. They would have been at least 66 to 80/1 when we were 2 up.
  • sam3110 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Sarr is shit.

sam3110 said:

Sarr is shit.

He's played 12 games for us FFS, most of those over 18 months ago, and half of those away from home, so unless you were a die hard home and away fan during that time, I doubt you've seen him more than half a dozen times.

6 foot 5 left footed centre backs, with his athleticism, are hard to come by, and when initially coming here and playing for us he had the pressure of being in a new country, with a hefty price tag on his head, playing in a disjointed defence with multiple defensive partners. Then someone came up with a song about him and KM and suddenly he's the go-to guy for regime flops.

He looked better than Bauer tonight, shall we write him off now?
    I don't know if you're arguing for arguments sake or are just trying to get a rise out of me. I've already stated that Bauer played poorly, but has put in a number of good performances when it mattered. So no, I would say he should not be written off.

There's a reason Sarr has only played 12 games for us - because he is pants!

You go ahead and start your Naby Sarr fan club. I'm sure there will be plenty of you.
  • In your defence, I would be surprised if Robinson is keen to keep him. But surely a guy who has played in the Champions League has the ability to play in League 1.

Well Mowgli, our resident Football Manager scout certainly thought so!

Also, there have been dozens of teams with squads full of sub League 1 standard players to qualify for the Champions League by default, due to the standard of domestic competition.
  • edited July 2017
    Happy with the first half performance. Barnes, aribo, konsa, Josh and Pearce for me were stand outs. Others were ok. Good movement from all.

Second half was alot different. Without Josh up front there wasn't much to aim at. Kag played well as a winger first half though his final pass or shot needs alot of improvement, second half as striker he was too similar to ajose. Isolated and little threat.

New boys marshal and Clarke for me did little. Very rarely getting into a decent position or getting a cross over.

Cellabos was the man of that half. Plenty of cross field passing and trying to link up with others on quick 1 2s.

Bauer looked good at heading the ball away but got caught out when the ball did get behind him.

Still its the second match of pre season so as others have said probably best I and others don't look too much into this. You never know, we could get much worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think the third come from the right winger who seemed to have plenty of space. I'd be looking where my left back was before blaming Sarr
  • In your defence, I would be surprised if Robinson is keen to keep him. But surely a guy who has played in the Champions League has the ability to play in League 1.

Also, there have been dozens of teams with squads full of sub League 1 standard players to qualify for the Champions League by default, due to the standard of domestic competition.

ok go on then, tell me the dozens of teams who have qualified for the Champions League group stages who couldn't cut it in League 1?
  • Think we found out KAG not a centre forward but can play left or right of the 3
  • Think we found out KAG not a centre forward but can play left or right of the 3

really? He played down the left and was poor IMO. In this formation though, he's only going to play out wide as I don't think he can play a lone striker role, same with Ajose and Watt.
  • Thought we lost our way second half after looking comfortable first half. Not sure we have anybody other than Mcguiness to play the sole striker role properly.

Always liked Baur but thought he was a yard off the pace or not bothered one of the two.

Thought we saw best and worse of Cebelos, good on the ball, awful trying to tackle back.

On that performance we need a first team keeper, the kid did ok but that won't be enough if we are in with a realistic chance of top 6.

On the positive side Barnes looked good as did some of the other youngsters.

On the negative side second half defending was awful and looked disorganised.

Be interested to see what the manager sees as his best team.

@Hattypat it's Magennis not McGuiness :wink:
  • Think the third come from the right winger who seemed to have plenty of space. I'd be looking where my left back was before blaming Sarr

Agreed, JJ was nowhere to be seen. On first look it seemed Sarr might have been able to get across to cover quicker, but it was really, really hard to tell with the camera angle. If that had been, say, Pearce I don't think he'd be getting the stick Sarr is getting.
  • John is former Cork City chairman, and CEO of Limerick and Athlone town.
  • Macronate said:
    Thats not a current photo ffs!

ok go on then, tell me the dozens of teams who have qualified for the Champions League group stages who couldn't cut it in League 1?
    To be honest I don't really feel the need to justify my argument anymore than I already have. You needn't look far though if you fancied doing a bit of research - I never mentioned the latter stages of the competition either.

And you'll noticed I haven't had a pop at you for digging out KAG - a promising 19 year old academy graduate who is also one of our own. I thought he played very well. A positive and hard working performance.

You're entitled to your opinion ;)