Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Speeding!

Comments

• While it's obviously impossible for the Police to prosecute everyone that breaks the law, the standard and often randomness is completely frustrating.

It also feels out of order, if you should ever challenge their decision, then you risk further penalties, as I did!

As others have said, why doesn't using a phone when driving, have a zero tolerance?

The initiatives they're using around this issue, clearly isn't working.

I think you'll find that it does now but until they find an automated way of taking photos of people using their phone you will always be more likely to be caught speeding.

If you think back to the time when there were no speed cameras you needed to be unlucky enough to, literally, drive past a Police car driving too fast - or have an accident.

I have no stats but I suspect that, ignoring the money that goes into the public purse that helps pay for things, the speeding cameras do reduce speeds in various places and that can only be a good thing, in my mind.

I've been caught speeding twice on a camera and on both occasions the outcome was that I reduced my speed going forward. Once was on a motorway with a 50 restriction (something I am more likely to notice now) and the other was a wide road where it does from 40 to 30 and I failed to reduce my speed quickly enough - again, something that I tend to look our for more today.

so, £150 spent but two very valuable lessons learned.
  • Over here, if there is a copper with a speed gun, it is etiquette for traffic coming the oppo. direction to flash the oncoming drivers to warn them to slow down. To me, this is the speed gun doing its job by making drivers slow down and address their speed, but the ob don't like people doing it because they're not fining people.

• Over here, if there is a copper with a speed gun, it is etiquette for traffic coming the oppo. direction to flash the oncoming drivers to warn them to slow down. To me, this is the speed gun doing its job by making drivers slow down and address their speed, but the ob don't like people doing it because they're not fining people.

I've known that to happen here in England as well
  • edited July 2017
    Rizzo said:

Was driving coastbound down the A20/M20 last week and the entire stretch from the M25 junction at Swanley to the junction with the M26 was a 40mph limit. Not a single cone, police car, workman, ambulance, broken down car or anything else whatsoever to warrant such a massive decrease in the speed limit. Surprisingly enough, 95% of traffic ignored the limit and carried on as usual!

As I understand it, the Highways Agency staff have the authority to switch on the temporary limit signs plus the red lane closed crosses if they see an accident, breakdown or debris on the road or whatever on their monitoring cameras. However they are not deemed sufficiently competent to turn the signs off when the problem has been solved. They have to wait for the traffic police to give them the all clear. As we know, these guys are few and far between these days and it takes a while for them to turn up some times.

As you say, this tends to put the system into disrepute. No one believes that the signs actually mean anything because, usually, they don't. Near where I live there has been an erroneous flood warning sign for maybe two years or so. Locals know to ignore it but people unfamiliar with the area tend to slow down. I guess, one day, the flood will be back and we'll all be caught out.
  • cafcfan said:

Rizzo said:

Was driving coastbound down the A20/M20 last week and the entire stretch from the M25 junction at Swanley to the junction with the M26 was a 40mph limit. Not a single cone, police car, workman, ambulance, broken down car or anything else whatsoever to warrant such a massive decrease in the speed limit. Surprisingly enough, 95% of traffic ignored the limit and carried on as usual!

As I understand it, the Highways Agency staff have the authority to switch on the temporary limit signs plus the red lane closed crosses if they see an accident, breakdown or debris on the road or whatever on their monitoring cameras. However they are not deemed sufficiently competent to turn the signs off when the problem has been solved. They have to wait for the traffic police to give them the all clear. As we know, these guys are few and far between these days and it takes a while for them to turn up some times.

As you say, this tends to put the system into disrepute. No one believes that the signs actually mean anything because, usually, they don't. Near where I live there has been an erroneous flood warning sign for maybe two years or so. Locals know to ignore it but people unfamiliar with the area tend to slow down. I guess, one day, the flood will be back and we'll all be caught out.
    Thats like the Medway Tunnel though, my Dad uses it every day too and from work at the University whilst I use it on a Friday to go get my shopping.

Everyday between 4pm-6pm (I dont know about the mornings) the speed limit is changed from 50mph to 30mph, most of the time for absolutely zero reason!!
  • Best (worst) one I saw was coming back from Orpington late on a Friday night (1am-ish). All 4 lanes are completely empty, I'm the only vehicle on the road. Pass the A20/M20 junction and the variable speed limit sign says 50. The next one says 40, the one after that 50. At this stage I've not passed anything. The next sign is off, so I start to accelerate, only to see the next one in the distance is on, so I'm a little cautious. The next one, right before/on the A2 junction is 20. I do a virtual emergency stop to get down to that. I exit at the junction, and I can now see the problem. The slip from the M25 to A2 London bound is blocked as a car and lorry have both tried to take it at the same time.

Can anyone explain any of the following:

1) Why I need to slow down to 50mph for an accident 3 miles away on another road?
    2) Why the random change down and back up from 50 to 40?
    3) Why 20mph would ever be an acceptable speed limit on an empty 4 lane motorway?

Reminds me of when I used to drive to Canterbury for university. Would come over the Medway bridge, first gantry would say to slow for an incident, second gantry would say caution, queue ahead and third gantry would be off. I never did see any incidents are queues.
  • Rizzo said:

They were doing road works at night, but so annoying.

I've seen many a person nicked on that stretch of the M20, as you come down the hill to the M26 almost any car could reach the cars maximum speed.

My favourite was the BMW M5 driver who decided he liked the look of the back of my car judging by how close he was to it, don't think he liked the fact I had a quicker car :wink: . He didn't realise there was a plain police Volvo behind us both so as I pulled over he floored it to what must have been 120+ with a big grin on his face, quickly followed by a laughing bobby in the Volvo.

By the time I got to the bottom of the hill they'd already pulled him over and no doubt a court appearance and ban followed.
  • cafcfan said:

Rizzo said:

Thats like the Medway Tunnel though, my Dad uses it every day too and from work at the University whilst I use it on a Friday to go get my shopping.

Everyday between 4pm-6pm (I dont know about the mornings) the speed limit is changed from 50mph to 30mph, most of the time for absolutely zero reason!!
    They often use these to control the flow of traffic and avoid traffic jams from the 'wave' affect.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rizzo said:

This was 7.00pm and no roadworks in sight!

• Rizzo said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rizzo said:

This was 7.00pm and no roadworks in sight!

They call it a day ay 5 to, beat the traffic
  • Sponsored links:

• When a speeding driver tailgates me on the motorway I put the hazard lights on.
    When they eventually overtake me I stare straight ahead grinning and giving them the finger.
    It's funny, at that point they change their mind and don't want to speed away.
    They want to weave in and out and alongside and in front and behind gesticulating for some reason.
    I carry on smiling, looking straight ahead and giving the finger.
    Dear Marje, is this wrong?

• seth plum said:

When a speeding driver tailgates me on the motorway I put the hazard lights on.

I do that too, and gently tap the brake pedal every now and then.

• seth plum said:

When they eventually overtake me I stare straight ahead grinning and giving them the finger.
    They want to weave in and out and alongside and in front and behind gesticulating for some reason.

Dear Seth,

In the main, it depends what type of road you are travelling on. Usually, hazard warning lights should only be used if you are stationary and temporarily obstructing traffic . However, Rule 116 of the Highway Code adds "You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. So, in your circumstances, unless you deem yourself to be a hazard, it's almost certainly wrong.

Kind Regards

Marje xxx
  • Some twat in a van was up my arse going through the Blackwall tunnel yesterday. Not sure where he thought I could go as the car in front of me was only about 10 years away. Slowed down from 30 to 15 as he drove behind with the horn blaring all the way through the tunnel. My wife's friends husband had half his teeth knocked out in a road rage incident last week so my wife made me promise not to react. Couldn't even give him the wanker sign as he overtook once we got through.
  • Some twat in a van was up my arse going through the Blackwall tunnel yesterday. Not sure where he thought I could go as the car in front of me was only about 10 years away. Slowed down from 30 to 15 as he drove behind with the horn blaring all the way through the tunnel. My wife's friends husband had half his teeth knocked out in a road rage incident last week so my wife made me promise not to react. Couldn't even give him the wanker sign as he overtook once we got through.

Those idiots are the worst... Moaning at you for not going faster when your stuck in traffic.

Feel like getting out the car and saying: Look, I want to get somewhere just as fast as you but as you can see, I cant!!

You're actually supposed to slow down slightly anyway if someone is tailgating (and as a bonus it winds the twat up as well). Trouble is usually these people are too thick to realise it's their own fault that they're now going slower so I doubt he's learnt any lessons.
  • seth plum said:

Marje's answer might depend on whether she was driving the car that weaving in and out alongside you.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rizzo said:

I've seen many a person nicked on that stretch of the M20, as you come down the hill to the M26 almost any car could reach the cars maximum speed.

My favourite was the BMW M5 driver who decided he liked the look of the back of my car judging by how close he was to it, don't think he liked the fact I had a quicker car :wink: . He didn't realise there was a plain police Volvo behind us both so as I pulled over he floored it to what must have been 120+ with a big grin on his face, quickly followed by a laughing bobby in the Volvo.

By the time I got to the bottom of the hill they'd already pulled him over and no doubt a court appearance and ban followed.
    Good for you!!!
  • I got stopped by a local police officer here just north of San Francisco doing 88 in a 70 and he let me go!

I feared the worst but he probably couldn't be bothered with the admin chasing me back in the UK
  • I got stopped by a local police officer here just north of San Francisco doing 88 in a 70 and he let me go!

I feared the worst but he probably couldn't be bothered with the admin chasing me back in the UK

See wot I mean,about the randomness of the "Collar Feelers" you criminal you!;)
  • Sponsored links:

• I was due to spend a day out on patrol with the traffic police a few years ago. One of my wife's colleagues husband was a copper based at Catford and had arranged for me to go out with him. Unfortunately, his old man fell seriously ill not long before I was due to go and his wife left on maternity leave shortly after and it never got rearranged. Shame, I was really looking forward to it.
  • My biggest concern now is drivers/pedestrians/cyclists using mobiles and I'm sure this must be the main cause of accidents. I got overtaken recently by a guy doing 90+ who appeared to be using two mobiles and on roundabouts cars invariably wander across the road whilst their driver talks on the phone.

If you slow down on the motorway for traffic it's always a concern if the person behind you is on the phone and hasn't noticed. Someone drove into the back of me on the North Circular when I was stationary and obviously denied they were on their phone.

• edited July 2017

My biggest concern now is drivers/pedestrians/cyclists using mobiles and I'm sure this must be the main cause of accidents. I got overtaken recently by a guy doing 90+ who appeared to be using two mobiles and on roundabouts cars invariably wander across the road whilst their driver talks on the phone.

If you slow down on the motorway for traffic it's always a concern if the person behind you is on the phone and hasn't noticed. Someone drove into the back of me on the North Circular when I was stationary and obviously denied they were on their phone.

Had this yesterday, was driving back from Leicester on the M11 at a brisk pace and there was someone behind me, it looked like there wasn't even a driver because his head was practically in the passenger side glove compartment, it was a pretty stop start part of the motorway too. Changed lanes and waited for him to get clear.

For a lot of people, in life as well as in their car, they won't ever learn their lesson until it is too late, personally I wouldn't be bothered if he ended up in 8 pieces on the M11 as he was clearly a twat, but the thought of an idiot like that being responsible for someone else's death sickens me.

As it goes none of my 3 scariest road incidents have involved breaking speed limits.

One, on my way back from Dover, a van indicated right whilst alongside me and decided that even though I was literally parralel with him, he would come across anywsy (clearly didn't look properly) I had to slam on the brakes and ended up nearly in the central reservation. I wish I could have got hold of him. Thats the one time I would have battered someone in a driving situation had I had the opportunity.

Two, on my way to Manchester, a minibus in front of us had what look like a spanner (hard to tell when you're going at 70) fall off the back of it, quickly followed by another, the second of which would have gone through the windscreen of the car I was driving had I not swerved across lanes to avoid it (I had hit the brakes after I saw the first bit come off)

Third, not far from @i_b_b_o_r_g in the south of France and there was gravel from roadworks which reduced the speed to 50km, I went down to 40 to be sure, went round a corner and the back of the car swung out (sheer drop on the left, cliff side on the right). Cue the car swinging in and out for about 50 yards, but tapping the brakes got it back in control.

Lack of attention and phones has to be a factor, yesterday on the way back from Leicester we saw 3 different incidents where cars had gone into the back of each other in gridlock.

Everyone is a terrible driver but me basically ;-)
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Its the average speed cameras that do my head in. I must be the only person that slows down, sticks on the cruise control and sits there at the right speed while every other fcuker comes hurtling past. When we went up to Liverpool about 3-4 months ago, there was a section of the M6 with the cameras which felt like it went on forever. Perhaps I'm not understanding how these cameras work. I assume they use a basic distance divided by time calculation between each and every set of cameras to see if you're breaking the limit? Just dont undertstand how so many people come flying past me as they must all be getting tickets?!?!?

When i was back in the UK a couple of weeks ago i noticed this on the A2. There's a camera as you approach the black prince so everyone slows down but some cars just carry on shooting past. Then i realised that the 2nd camera isn't until up by Falconwood so if you're coming off at Blendon the average speed thing is pointless because you won't reach the 2nd camera.
  • My biggest concern now is drivers/pedestrians/cyclists using mobiles and I'm sure this must be the main cause of accidents. I got overtaken recently by a guy doing 90+ who appeared to be using two mobiles and on roundabouts cars invariably wander across the road whilst their driver talks on the phone.

This is why defensive driving techniques are so important. They protect you from other idiots. Using the "queuing distance rule" might save you from an accident and all the inevitable accompanying crap. When joining a queue leave say 5m between you and the car in front. In the event that in your mirrors you see the guy behind you looking like he's not going to stop in time, you have a little extra space to move in to. It might, just might, save the back of your car. Fill up the space once the guy behind has come to a stop but always leave yourself being able to see the bottom of the tyres of the car in front. This will allow you sufficient space to pull around him if he stalls or breaks down. (I once realised the bloke behind wasn't stopping but manged to shift into the nearside lane. He still managed to smash up the back of the car that had been in front of me!)

There are a couple of benefits to driving defensively. You might get a discount on your insurance if you've done a course but more importantly, having extra things to do and think about helps keep you alert and aware of the vagaries of other drivers.
  • cafcfan said:

My biggest concern now is drivers/pedestrians/cyclists using mobiles and I'm sure this must be the main cause of accidents. I got overtaken recently by a guy doing 90+ who appeared to be using two mobiles and on roundabouts cars invariably wander across the road whilst their driver talks on the phone.

This is why defensive driving techniques are so important. They protect you from other idiots. Using the "queuing distance rule" might save you from an accident and all the inevitable accompanying crap. When joining a queue leave say 5m between you and the car in front. In the event that in your mirrors you see the guy behind you looking like he's not going to stop in time, you have a little extra space to move in to. It might, just might, save the back of your car. Fill up the space once the guy behind has come to a stop but always leave yourself being able to see the bottom of the tyres of the car in front. This will allow you sufficient space to pull around him if he stalls or breaks down. (I once realised the bloke behind wasn't stopping but manged to shift into the nearside lane. He still managed to smash up the back of the car that had been in front of me!)

There are a couple of benefits to driving defensively. You might get a discount on your insurance if you've done a course but more importantly, having extra things to do and think about helps keep you alert and aware of the vagaries of other drivers.
    You can drive defensively but tbh something has to be done about mobile phone especially on the motorways - some of the incidents involving lorries are terrifying. I always try and leave a reasonable distance from the car in front when I slow down but you can only plan so much for other people's careless driving.

I think an outright ban should be introduced for using mobiles on the motorway.
  • Speeding does not cause accidents, bad driving does.... speed cameras are just a stealth tax, nothing more nothing less.
    What are/will contribute to better driving is the increased use of dash cams. In a lot of RTA's evidence is gathered from the dash cam and drivers are being prosecuted for careless and even reckless driving.
    I believe it is mandatory in Russia to have a dash cam, it should be the same in the UK.

One way to avoid speeding fines and points is to get a number plate that has a typo in it, I've got one on my Honda Fireblade and haven't been nicked for years.... ;o)
  • I was going to mention dashcams. Anyone got one?
    I've lost count of the number of near misses I've had recently, including twice nearly being sideswiped on the M25 in the space of 2 days last weekend. I know if I do end up having an accident, it certainly wont be down to me.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I was going to mention dashcams. Anyone got one?
    I've lost count of the number of near misses I've had recently, including twice nearly being sideswiped on the M25 in the space of 2 days last weekend. I know if I do end up having an accident, it certainly wont be down to me.

Ive got one, well worth getting one, I had a head on about 2 years ago, the bloke had been driving in Turkey all summer came back to the UK pulled out a junction on the wrong side of the road and ploughed straight into the front of me, wrote of my car, however he admitted total liability, but his insurance company wanted him to retract his statement but he was an honourable chap and refused.
    So I went out and bought a dash cam, they are excellent, and you do get to film some absolute dickheads. Also road rage is totally negated, i had a fella pull out on me on the M20 in one of those Warrior Muscle Trucks, I had to emergency brake, hit the horn and flashed him, then he decides he's gonna brake test me at 70mph, twice, I pulled off at swanley junction, so did he, he pulled up next to me, wound his window down and told me he was going duff me up, and promised me dead legs and even Chinese burns, I pointed to the dash cam and said its all on here mate, he said 'fucking cameras' and buggered off. I saved my wrists from some terrible bruises that day.
  • Greenie said:

Speeding does not cause accidents, bad driving does.... speed cameras are just a stealth tax, nothing more nothing less.
    What are/will contribute to better driving is the increased use of dash cams. In a lot of RTA's evidence is gathered from the dash cam and drivers are being prosecuted for careless and even reckless driving.
    I believe it is mandatory in Russia to have a dash cam, it should be the same in the UK.

One way to avoid speeding fines and points is to get a number plate that has a typo in it, I've got one on my Honda Fireblade and haven't been nicked for years.... ;o)

If we ignore, for a second, that speeding is bad driving, sometimes an accident can be caused with no fault of the driver. However, if a small child breaks free from it's mum's hand and runs into the road and a driver (at no fault at all) hits that child the child's fate is then determined by the speed of the car, which determines the force of the impact. Camera or no camera the speed limits are set, in the majority of instances, for safety reasons. Anyone caught on a camera is, maybe, lucky that it was a camera that stopped them not the sickening sound of a child's bones breaking.

Also as the speeding fines end up in the same place as increased taxation, and everyone on here seems to think that we need to be spending more money as a country, isn't this a great idea? Encourage people to not break the law, make the roads safer, and raise more money for those public services and public sector workers. It's a win, win, win!