Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Speeding!

Comments

• Options

"Ok Guv, it's a fair cop", seems to be the consensus and I should be hanged at dawn;)

Fair enough, but I'd try and get that done in winter, when it gets light later.
  • Options

What's also interesting and I don't know if anyone else has noticed this?

Is the amount of people who cross over a road, without even looking and with children, so your point is maybe a fair one?

and looking down at their phone & never acknowledging that they are actually crossing a road !! On the South circular last thursday coming from Forest Hill into Catford - somebody sauntering across the road as if they are on a sunday afternoon stroll through the countryside & never once looked at the traffic.
  • Options
    Speed awareness is only offered if you have no prior penalties.

Maybe you'll get away with it, I was flashed on the M1 a month ago and so far so good. I was kicking myself afterwards, so I still learnt my lesson.
  • Options

Is the amount of people who cross over a road, without even looking and with children, so your point is maybe a fair one?

Except that drivers are supposed to be aware of possible problems on the road. Like pedestrians crossing without warning. Which is why a 20 limit makes sense. You have more time to avoid problems and if you do have a collision the effects are much less.
  • Options

and looking down at their phone & never acknowledging that they are actually crossing a road !! On the South circular last thursday coming from Forest Hill into Catford - somebody sauntering across the road as if they are on a sunday afternoon stroll through the countryside & never once looked at the traffic.
    Drivers do that too. The level of distraction they give in to is alarming.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

I guess what's partly annoying about this, is a lack of consistency by the Police.

A women driver in front of me at a set of traffic lights, was on her mobile. Instead of making her pullover and issuing a fine or similar, she clearly only got a warning and was let off.

Hmm... was she fit?
    Most likely.
  • Options
    Funniest one for me was when me and the wife came out a Bromley Charlton meeting
    I wanted a McDonald's so got the wife to drive to the one by Bromley bus garage.
    Now not going no faster than 32mph the camera went off down Bromley common.
    The wife then started having a breakdown that she was a criminal and was going to have points on her licence, I'm laughing my bollocks off saying I'll take the points.
    To top it off when we got there they were closed.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Funniest one for me was when me and the wife came out a Bromley Charlton meeting
    I wanted a McDonald's so got the wife to drive to the one by Bromley bus garage.
    Now not going no faster than 32mph the camera went off down Bromley common.
    The wife then started having a breakdown that she was a criminal and was going to have points on her licence, I'm laughing my bollocks off saying I'll take the points.
    To top it off when we got there they were closed.

Shocking

You went to a Bromley Addicks meeting?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Talal said:

seth plum said:

Talal said:

seth plum said:

Since they brought in 20 in Lewisham I am forever having frustrated drivers tailgating and hooting.
    Why don't they get up earlier?

Said this before on a different thread but it's ridiculous to have a blanket limit like Lewisham does. Many of the roads do not warrant 20 and it's inevitable that you'll end up with people tailgating and looking to overtake (not saying that's right, just inevitable).
    If they want me to move over there is no room. They want me to drive faster but I would rather come to a complete halt and they can figure a way past. What do the tailgaters want?
    You've said it yourself they want you to drive faster. There will always be idiotic tailgaters regardless of the speed limit but implementing a blanket rule when some roads simply do not warrant it (eg Baring rd, Burnt ash) was always going to lead to this. The amount of drivers I've seen being overtaken (often learners) isn't reducing the risk of accidents in my eyes, it's increasing it.
    I use Baring and Burnt Ash a lot and pootling along is a bit dreary. However I say to my self what actual difference does it make? We all get corralled the same at the next lights or junction and time difference is miniscule.
    Maybe you say bad driving is inevitable but to me it is the fault of the drivers not the 20mph limit.
    I had a shop up the, next to Grove Park BR Station
  • Options

seth plum said:

Talal said:

seth plum said:

Talal said:

seth plum said:

Since they brought in 20 in Lewisham I am forever having frustrated drivers tailgating and hooting.

Said this before on a different thread but it's ridiculous to have a blanket limit like Lewisham does. Many of the roads do not warrant 20 and it's inevitable that you'll end up with people tailgating and looking to overtake (not saying that's right, just inevitable).
    If they want me to move over there is no room. They want me to drive faster but I would rather come to a complete halt and they can figure a way past. What do the tailgaters want?
    You've said it yourself they want you to drive faster. There will always be idiotic tailgaters regardless of the speed limit but implementing a blanket rule when some roads simply do not warrant it (eg Baring rd, Burnt ash) was always going to lead to this. The amount of drivers I've seen being overtaken (often learners) isn't reducing the risk of accidents in my eyes, it's increasing it.
    I use Baring and Burnt Ash a lot and pootling along is a bit dreary. However I say to my self what actual difference does it make? We all get corralled the same at the next lights or junction and time difference is miniscule.
    Maybe you say bad driving is inevitable but to me it is the fault of the drivers not the 20mph limit.
    You never mentioned that before mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

seth plum said:

Talal said:

seth plum said:

Talal said:

seth plum said:

You never mentioned that before mate
    Try keep on the low low. Lose lips sink ships an all that..
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    My sat nav goes orange a few mph above the speed limit and then red - I assume the ornage is within the non punishment limit which is reasonable I think as car speedos are not 100% accurate - but 27 in a 20 zone is a massive difference - the lower the speed, the lower the proportional leeway.
  • Options

Hard lines Sillav. Lot of righteous on this thread.

20mph zones are just not what we are used to and it's hard to drive so slow sometimes if your real concentration is actually on your driving and you don't expect a zone to be so low (except by schools etc).

I got done doing 57 when I hadn't realised a 60 zone on a motorway had dropped down to 50.

As a result of that I'm probably a worse driver now as I find when the limits are chopping and changing all over the place i am driving less carefully as I'm forever looking for signs with speed limits, my dashboard, cameras
    etc.

Typical, criminal makes excuses shock!
  • Options

My sat nav goes orange a few mph above the speed limit and then red - I assume the ornage is within the non punishment limit which is reasonable I think as car speedos are not 100% accurate - but 27 in a 20 zone is a massive difference - the lower the speed, the lower the proportional leeway.

Not trying to be righteous but merely pointing out that 27mph is about 135% of the speed limit so no way to escape a penalty. It is the equivalent of doing over 94mph instead of 70. I got done doing 92mph on a motorway quite a few years ago and got a harsh talking to from the police, but thankfully only 3 points and not court! It did make me much more speed aware though to be fair.
  • Options
    If they really wanted people to drive at 20 mph in a high risk area, they'd stick in those harsh speed humps.

Cameras in a 20 mph zone is purely the to raise funds imo
  • Options

If they really wanted people to drive at 20 mph in a high risk area, they'd stick in those harsh speed humps.

Cameras in a 20 mph zone is purely the to raise funds imo

Cameras almost anywhere are purely to raise funds (IMHO). My wife got done and went on the course, the guy was giving it the whole "we only put cameras in accident black spots" routine and she piped up with "Really? There must have been a fucking holocaust along Brighton seafront then!".

Speed cameras should be banned (IMHO again).
  • Options
    But if you don't speed no money is collected by the cameras.
    I'd put them everywhere.
  • Options
    The accident blackspot line is a load of bollocks. They install speed cameras along new roads and bypasses ffs.

And as for the mobile cameras, they park up in so many places where they are hidden, it's untrue.

Speeding fines raised £340m in 2015.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

I'd put them everywhere.

On local roads, a camera cannot physically stop a driver from speeding if the driver isn't aware the camera is there or has forgotten, as has been demonstrated by the op and hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of other motorist who fall fowl of these cameras each year. So, an accident can always happen despite a camera being there. Be honest, how many times are you driving slightly over the limit and break because you know there is a fixed camera coming up?

IMO, only the likes of speed humps and give way islands can physically stop a driver from speeding.

If the motorway police want to clamp down on speeding drivers on the bigger roads, that a different story, although this doesn't physically stop people speeding either.

I'm like an old man driver these days and rarely get anywhere near the limits over here

• Options

iainment said:

I'd put them everywhere.

On local roads, a camera cannot physically stop a driver from speeding if the driver isn't aware the camera is there or has forgotten, as has been demonstrated by the op and hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of other motorist who fall fowl of these cameras each year. So, an accident can always happen despite a camera being there. Be honest, how many times are you driving slightly over the limit and break because you know there is a fixed camera coming up?

IMO, only the likes of speed humps and give way islands can physically stop a driver from speeding.

If the motorway police want to clamp down on speeding drivers on the bigger roads, that a different story, although this doesn't physically stop people speeding either.

I'm like an old man driver these days and rarely get anywhere near the limits over here

hidden cameras, proper fucking stealth SAS mother fuckers, can't catch people speeding if drivers stick to the speed limit.

Very very simple.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Speed awareness is only offered if you have no prior penalties.

Maybe you'll get away with it, I was flashed on the M1 a month ago and so far so good. I was kicking myself afterwards, so I still learnt my lesson.

I went on a speed awareness a couple of months back (43mph in 30mph zone)
    I had points on my licence for speeding , different areas though .
  • Options

iainment said:

I'd put them everywhere.

hidden cameras, proper fucking stealth SAS mother fuckers, can't catch people speeding if drivers stick to the speed limit.

Very very simple.
    Yeah they catch people speeding, but they don't stop people speeding
  • Options

iainment said:

I'd put them everywhere.

If you can't pay the fine don't do the crime.

I got rid of my car a few years ago and occssionally hire a car. Yes, sometimes I'm sure I break the limit. But I wouldn't whinge if caught.
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

I'd put them everywhere.

I got rid of my car a few years ago and occssionally hire a car. Yes, sometimes I'm sure I break the limit. But I wouldn't whinge if caught.
    My point weren't whether you'd whinge or not, just that you still break the limit and probably only slow down when you pass a camera, if you know it's there.
  • Options

Not trying to be righteous but merely pointing out that 27mph is about 135% of the speed limit so no way to escape a penalty. It is the equivalent of doing over 94mph instead of 70. I got done doing 92mph on a motorway quite a few years ago and got a harsh talking to from the police, but thankfully only 3 points and not court! It did make me much more speed aware though to be fair.
    Not quite sure how that equates to 135%?
  • Options

Hard lines Sillav. Lot of righteous on this thread.

20mph zones are just not what we are used to and it's hard to drive so slow sometimes if your real concentration is actually on your driving and you don't expect a zone to be so low (except by schools etc).

I got done doing 57 when I hadn't realised a 60 zone on a motorway had dropped down to 50.

As a result of that I'm probably a worse driver now as I find when the limits are chopping and changing all over the place i am driving less carefully as I'm forever looking for signs with speed limits, my dashboard, cameras etc.

Thanks AFKA.
    iainment said:

iainment said:

I'd put them everywhere.

Whose whinging?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Oh and by the way, I didn't run over any children,granny,disabled person or animal or vegetable!
  • Options

Oh and by the way, I didn't run over any children,granny,disabled person or animal!

This time...