Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smart LED bulbs

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2017
    JohnBoyUK said:

A question if I may guys.

Say with the Phillips Hue system, I understand the hub plugs into the router via ethernet.
    Then does that create its own closed loop bulb wifi as it were, then all the bulbs have to be in the range of the hub?

I ask as ideally, I'd like to buy 6 GU10 equivalent bulbs and plug them in the veranda of my log cabin which is 150ft at the other end of the garden.

I've got my log cabin wired up over LAN to my main router in the house, but got another another router in the cabin, so essentially its the one network.
    Would I just need the hub in the house or would I need an additional one in the cabin? Hope that makes sense.

My understanding is that they have to be in range of the bridge / hub unless they can talk back via other bulbs. I'd say you are potentially going to need one in the cabin as well as the house if you wanted them in there too. I think the range of the bridge is about 30m. However, the Echo needs to be in range of the bridge as this is what controls the lights. I'd imagine as you're wired it'd be okay on that part though.
  • Options
    Just startwd looking at all this. What do people think is the better Alexa device? Echo or echo Dot? Or one of the more weird ones? The Google alternative perhaps?

As far as I can see the only difference between the echo and the dot (other than a £130 price difference) is the dot doesn't have it's own built in speaker and relies on being connected to your speaker system which is no issue for me?

I've read people get 6+ of these to have all round the house. Is it possible to mix and match? Have an echo in the living rm and dots elsewhere in the house?
  • Options
    I'm sure you can mix and match. The dot does have a speaker it's just not very loud. The Dot is much smaller so can look ok almost everywhere whereas the big one is going to stand out more.
  • Options

Just startwd looking at all this. What do people think is the better Alexa device? Echo or echo Dot? Or one of the more weird ones? The Google alternative perhaps?

As far as I can see the only difference between the echo and the dot (other than a £130 price difference) is the dot doesn't have it's own built in speaker and relies on being connected to your speaker system which is no issue for me?

I've read people get 6+ of these to have all round the house. Is it possible to mix and match? Have an echo in the living rm and dots elsewhere in the house?

Yeah personally I have a dot as I have my own speaker system so the echo would be wasted on me (and it's significantly more expensive).

I also know a few people with multiple echos/dots around the house and they all work off of the same Alexa account so perform in unison. So yes, you can mix and match.
  • Options
    Thanks both. :)
  • Options
    Having said that I haven't worked out how to start a timer on one room and have it remind me in another. I suspect it is possible but I can't do it, yet.