Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robert Millar now Phillipa York

2»

Comments

• Options
    buckshee said:

I sometimes feel I'm a kangaroo born in a human body , can I somehow change?

FFS

Yes, but people will always be able to tell because of the size of your feet.

Seriously though, good luck to Phillipa and anyone else choosing to make such a bold change.
  • Options
    Good luck to her and to others in the same position, but the idea of the old cut and shut brings water to my eyes...
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    One or two really sad and heartless people around in this thread.
    There but for the grace of god go I applies to transgender sufferers, fortunately attitudes are changing and nowadays their plight is at last being understood, as strange and bizarre as they may seem to some.
  • Options

Why did he change his suename as well?

I don't think she's been asked why
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    heard rumours about this a few years back. Good for her I say!
    Have been recording ITV4 coverage but have had to skim through to the arivee through lack of time. Will listen out for her today though (big stage coming up!)
  • Options

cafcfan said:

I know a couple of people that have done this and they, too, changed their surnames as well as their forenames. Never quite understood why. I guess it must be a complete break from the past and a fresh start?

I guess it is the fresh start in life... Especially for Phillipa as she mentions it in the below link:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jul/06/philippa-york-gender-transition-cyclist-robert-millar

Asked how she has dealt in recent years with the fact that the world of cycling had one image of her and she had another, York says: “I can only deal with that by putting the Robert part of my life into one box and the life I live now into another.

The only strange part reading that is the way she almost refers to Robert Miller as being someone else entirely
    So why is 'she' appearing on the tour de france coverage? Surely thats in the Robert box.

Make your mind up love.
    Give ´er a break!
  • Options
    Why's he changed his surname?
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Don't tell me that bothers you in some way?
    And it's she not he!
  • Options

And it's she not he!
    Nothing about this bothers me at all. I was just curious as to why she** changed her** second name.

Why is it like treading on fuckin egg shells on these types of threads?

**I would have thought she would of made the decision as to what she wanted to be called when she was a he

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well given that David Millar often gets asked if he's related to Robert Millar (as per the piece Rothko linked to) presumably if she kept the same surname she'd end up having the same sort of conversations. And if she'd rather not have all the follow-up questions that answering honestly would lead to, then changing her surname is the sensible option.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

And it's she not he!
    Nothing about this bothers me at all. I was just curious as to why she** changed her** second name.

**I would have thought she would of made the decision as to what she wanted to be called when she was a he

Why is it so hard to just use the correct pronoun? My post right above yours points this out, and there's another one just above that. And if you get it wrong, that's cool, we all make mistakes, so why not just put your hand up and say "Sorry, got it wrong?"
  • Options

And it's she not he!

**I would have thought she would of*** made the decision as to what she wanted to be called when she was a he

***have
  • Options
    It is hard for us to understand what people must go through when they feel a different sex to the sex they are, but we should be supportive and accepting and try not to make their lives any harder than they already are.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

And it's she not he!

Why is it so hard to just use the correct pronoun? My post right above yours points this out, and there's another one just above that. And if you get it wrong, that's cool, we all make mistakes, so why not just put your hand up and say "Sorry, got it wrong?"
    She would've presumably chose her names pre-op though?

And it's she not he!

**I would have thought she would of*** made the decision as to what she wanted to be called when she was a he

***have
    have***