Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Streaming football on Kodi boxes/dodgy websites

bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40491766

Interesting debate on the ethics of dodgy football streaming. The BBC interviewer who is naturally coming at it from the media side, is trying to guilt trip the interviewee on football streaming.

Its similar to pirating DVDs or games. You havent stolen a copy from the shop, its still there, you just have another copy downloaded or duplicated from the original. Good or bad?

Comments

• Streaming? Kodi boxes? Never heard of it! Anyone care to explain?

;)
  • The BBC guy is basically laying the blame on the the person accessing the stream. IMO the silly cost of footy on TV is the root of it all.
  • The thing is, its out there now.
    I don't ever see any way there won't be streams for any sport in the future.
    The technology exists and demand is there. Don't think it will ever go away, no matter how hard broadcasters try.

unless all sport is made free to air.
  • If they made the price of watching football on TV cheaper I'd buy it. But for now, Kodi is a no-brainer.
  • The thing is, its out there now.
    I don't ever see any way there won't be streams for any sport in the future.
    The technology exists and demand is there. Don't think it will ever go away, no matter how hard broadcasters try.

unless all sport is made free to air.

The US sports have absolutely got it right when it comes to this. Affordable prices to stream any game you like for a whole season, easy to access on any device. The reason we don't have this at the moment is all down to Sky.
  • I love the way the chap asks him if he thinks that if everyone paid Sky they would charge his neighbour less. In reality the only reason that Sky are reducing their prices, and not putting them up, is because this chap is getting it for free.

If anything his neighbour should be thanking him for forcing Sky to charge less.

History tells us that when a Monopoly is able to rip the people off, the people find a way to get round it.
  • I hope we get on here a proper Kodi tutorial to get cleanly set up for the new season, and we share advice about how to get the live football streams, either from Kodi or elsewhere.
    I would like to add that stealing the football from the internet is clearly wrong, and stealing I suppose, certainly an ethical problem.
    Then again Liam Ridgewell getting photographed whilst glorying in using £50 notes as toilet paper and putting the pictures out there is an ethical problem too.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't feel guilty about streaming sports through Kodi, it doesn't take away anything from the teams i support, i still pay to go and watch Charlton 20+ games a season and Surrey for 3 or 4 games a season for me and my son, plus the merchandise he wants and the extras that come with going to a live event.

I very much doubt if Chelsea or Man city care if i watch them play a few times a season for free.

I was paying Virgin £125 a month for internet, hd sky sports and movies, in November last year they put it up by anotherj £5 so i cancelled everything except the internet with is now £35 a month, i have 2 paid kodi subscriptions ( 1 is a back up should 1 go down) and the total cost of them is £140 a year- it's a no brainier!!
  • I don't feel guilty about streaming sports through Kodi, it doesn't take away anything from the teams i support, i still pay to go and watch Charlton 20+ games a season and Surrey for 3 or 4 games a season for me and my son, plus the merchandise he wants and the extras that come with going to a live event.

I very much doubt if Chelsea or Man city care if i watch them play a few times a season for free.

I was paying Virgin £125 a month for internet, hd sky sports and movies, in November last year they put it up by anotherj £5 so i cancelled everything except the internet with is now £35 a month, i have 2 paid kodi subscriptions ( 1 is a back up should 1 go down) and the total cost of them is £140 a year- it's a no brainier!!

Exactly what I did with Virgin, just pay for broadband now. If my Kodi packs up, I'll just buy another for £40.
  • edited July 4
    seth plum said:

I hope we get on here a proper Kodi tutorial to get cleanly set up for the new season, and we share advice about how to get the live football streams, either from Kodi or elsewhere.
    I would like to add that stealing the football from the internet is clearly wrong, and stealing I suppose, certainly an ethical problem.
    Then again Liam Ridgewell getting photographed whilst glorying in using £50 notes as toilet paper and putting the pictures out there is an ethical problem too.

I'm sure that is all on another thread.

I do agree though that charging people £60 a month to enable them to pay footballers millions of pounds a year is difficult to justify all the while there are people struggling, financially. In reality though the only way companies like Sky will be tempted to reduce prices is if they find that customers won't pay them. The easiest way to make that happen is for cheaper (or free) alternatives to be made available.

What makes Sky's greed so obvious is that there are people making a living (and I mean a very good living) illegally selling Sky's offerings cheaply enough that their customers are willing to break the law to save the difference in price. How greedy is that?
  • seth plum said:

I hope we get on here a proper Kodi tutorial to get cleanly set up for the new season, and we share advice about how to get the live football streams, either from Kodi or elsewhere.

I'm sure that is all on another thread.

I do agree though that charging people £60 a month to enable them to pay footballers millions of pounds a year is difficult to justify all the while there are people struggling, financially. In reality though the only way companies like Sky will be tempted to reduce prices is if they find that customers won't pay them. The easiest way to make that happen is for cheaper (or free) alternatives to be made available.

What makes Sky's greed so obvious is that there are people making a living (and I mean a very good living) illegally selling Sky's offerings cheaply enough that their customers are willing to break the law to save the difference in price. How greedy is that?
    It really is shocking that based on this alone the penny refuses to drop for these people
  • I have Kodi but don't tend to watch much football on it, just the odd match really. However I think it's excellent that these streams are available for people. Don't even care if it's immoral, Sky have taken the piss with their prices for too long, hope it hits them hard.
  • His is a really interesting time for football broadcasting.

From what I understand, the ruling in April seems to have made streaming of movies and sports illegal for the end user (after an EU ruling a few years ago implied it was the server who was guilty). So the broadcasters, as broadband providers, are in a stronger position to stop it. But it seems unlikely they'll be successful as Kodi and co. will react accordingly.

Viewing habits, particularly those of the under 30s, have seen a huge drop in audiences for PL football. Youngsters are happy to use a variety of platforms (YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, Amazon) to build their TV options, where as most of us are used to choosing one platform and remaining stupidly loyal to it. Youngsters just don't consider paying 100 quid a month as even close to an option.

BT have kinda moved into the right space by providing an excellent digital option, sort of 'free' for their broadband customers. But they're still a traditional subscription/ set top box service.

What will really set the cat amongst the pigeons is if Facebook or Google decide to bid for a package next year.

Facebook have decided to stream Champs League for free in the US (and elsewhere if you have a VPN!), using an ad revenue model instead of subscription and Amazon have spent money on NFL recently So it's not a stretch to think they'll look at PL football. YouTube was also used for the CL and Europa League over the last couple of years.

When the Competition Commission insisted that no single broadcaster could have all the packages, they made it more expensive for all of us. Whether or not that continues to be the case will be clearer next year. It certainly seems like the packages could be split across three or four providers. And if one or two of them are delivering it for free (or at least, while selling us, as consumers, to the advertisers), it's hard to imagine the current broadcasters being able to stick to the current, very expensive models.
  • We paid $130 a month for Foxtel for years. We found that they just recycled the same old crap over and over and in the end we cancelled. They even tried to get us to stay on with the same contract but reduced to $40. I said to them why would I do that when I can get Netflix for $10? Anyhow, it seems that Foxtel have more clout here than elsewhere as the current Netflix offering is limited to1800 titles. It's now got to the point where even Netflix may get the flick. Thank goodness for Kodi. I gave up watching the Premier league years ago so I just don't bother streaming any football.
  • Cut off the 3pm streams that can be shown abroad and they'll stop a lot of it!!

It's the Premier League's own greed that have caused this

Whenever a game's shown somewhere live on TV, someone will stream it. The EPL sell the rights to every game to many countries, and in Asia, for example, the 3pm kick-offs are at the perfect time, whereas 5pm is getting late and evening kick-offs are of no use whatsoever, so, if you are suggesting the EPL don't sell the 3pm k.o. rights they'll possibly lose an entire continent!
  • Cut off the 3pm streams that can be shown abroad and they'll stop a lot of it!!

Whenever a game's shown somewhere live on TV, someone will stream it. The EPL sell the rights to every game to many countries, and in Asia, for example, the 3pm kick-offs are at the perfect time, whereas 5pm is getting late and evening kick-offs are of no use whatsoever, so, if you are suggesting the EPL don't sell the 3pm k.o. rights they'll possibly lose an entire continent!
    Its ultimately why the Premier League are at such a standstill and probably dont know how to handle the situation... the easiest way would be to stop 3pm matches being shown abroad but as you say from Asia alone they'll pretty much lose the continent.

The only other option is to go down the Legal route yet as proven with music / videos since Napster, once its out there its out there and no amount of trying to shut down websites is ever going to solve the issues as there will always be replacements.

The best option would probably for SKY and BT to work with the fans... Rather than charging stupid prices for complete channel Subscriptions, maybe they should introduce something similar to the NOW TV passes they already do, i.e. for £10 per month (?) you can watch all the Football you want and nothing else. People may then take up that option as they'll be guaranteed better quality viewing - The issue that comes from this though is the fact that its illegal to show 3pm matches here in England so those laws would need to be changed.

Maybe that then would cause the knock on effect for clubs to drastically bring down their ticket prices because the choice £40.00 per match (at the Ground) or £10.00 per month is a no brainer for the majority of fans.
  • Illegal streams are a symptom of a problem. The problem is sports television is overpriced. Netflix proves that if you give people access to something whenever they want, and sell it at a reasonable price, people will most likely pay for it.

100% this
  • Sponsored links:

• In the interest of research how easy it is to purchase such a box with the adds ons and where would someone do so. Purely for research purposes, not to watch
  • In the interest of research how easy it is to purchase such a box with the adds ons and where would someone do so. Purely for research purposes, not to watch

Very easy to purchase, plenty on Amazon. Just go into the Kodi thread and there are many people who will be happy to help for your research.

They are clamping down on the loaded boxes HI, but a firebox can be made Kodi ready in 15 minutes. ;) SEO-Micheal has all the guides on how to do what on twitter and his own page. So I've heard anyway!
  • edited July 4

Its ultimately why the Premier League are at such a standstill and probably dont know how to handle the situation... the easiest way would be to stop 3pm matches being shown abroad but as you say from Asia alone they'll pretty much lose the continent.

The only other option is to go down the Legal route yet as proven with music / videos since Napster, once its out there its out there and no amount of trying to shut down websites is ever going to solve the issues as there will always be replacements.

The best option would probably for SKY and BT to work with the fans... Rather than charging stupid prices for complete channel Subscriptions, maybe they should introduce something similar to the NOW TV passes they already do, i.e. for £10 per month (?) you can watch all the Football you want and nothing else. People may then take up that option as they'll be guaranteed better quality viewing - The issue that comes from this though is the fact that its illegal to show 3pm matches here in England so those laws would need to be changed.

Maybe that then would cause the knock on effect for clubs to drastically bring down their ticket prices because the choice £40.00 per match (at the Ground) or £10.00 per month is a no brainer for the majority of fans.
    I believe the idea of buying individual sports rather than the whole sports package is something sky are about to introduce. But even then, paying £20 a month for something that is so easily available for nothing is a hard sell.
  • A Lawyer's view on streaming/kodi legality following a recent ECJ decision (April 2017):

https://andersonstrathern.co.uk/news-insight/is-kodi-tv-streaming-illegal/

(I've got an android/kodi box).

I believe the idea of buying individual sports rather than the whole sports package is something sky are about to introduce. But even then, paying £20 a month for something that is so easily available for nothing is a hard sell.
    To be honest I went with £10 per month to compare with what the Kodi Paying Services were charging for their Sports Streams... Maybe a little bit more that what those paying Services offer because your guaranteed a good quality video.

But yeah people (even me) will still get it for free if the option is there.

I suppose Sky do have the 'convenience' factor on their side. I know there will be some on here that will say Kodi is a doddle but it's more time consuming than just switching on Sky and turning to channel 401. Then there's stream quality etc to take into account.
    If they priced football at £20 per month (including all the standard channels in a package) then I'd consider signing up again.
  • If a fan can somehow prove they always go to the home matches then their costs should be £5 a month because fans create the atmosphere TV companies like.