Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How do you pronounce Charlton?

13»

Comments

• Options
    sh-ite
  • Options
    ive been by northerners mistaken for being a cheltenham fan on numerous occasions
  • Options
    Danepak said:

I've heard a lot of Scandinavians pronouncing it 'Tiarl-Ton'

Look no further than Denmark.
  • Options
    Try living near Cheltenham, it's even harder to explain who Charlton are.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Prompted by some interesting posts by - among others - @Baldybonce and @iainment on @AFKABartram 's "Amazing Grace" thread, I wondered if anyone could produce the definitive pronunciation of "Charlton" in type.

Lots of people - northerners, usually - make an effort to pronounce it, but get it horribly wrong. I wince every time I hear "Charton" or worse still "Chorlton".

It's obviously not "Charlton", because, frankly, why would anyone ever bother with the "t"? And the ending isn't "...on", it's more "...ern", isn't it?

For me, there are two ways:

- The two-syllable version, which is "Chow'ern" (where "chow" is a bit like the word "foal").
    - And the three-syllable pronunciation "Chee-ow'ern".

Anyone got any better means of expressing it, in type?

My mum would have said it's Charlton with a 't'. Tbh, I join in with the chants and feel a bit awkward dropping the 't'. I blame my mum.

Perhaps it should be 'Charl'on Ath-u-letic' a la Jimmy Seed?

https://youtu.be/qdXkEqZ4deI
  • Options
    Shal - ton
  • Options
    Chalt-un
  • Options
    Roll on the 5th August
  • Options
    Chizz said:

- The two-syllable version, which is "Chow'ern" (where "chow" is a bit like the word "foal"

We may have differing opinions on certain things @Chizz me old mucker........but you are bang on the money here mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As an exiled Northerner I find it damn high impossible to drop the other t. No problems with other letters but I do struggle with this London thing of putting so many vowels in a row. Char ( as in a cup of) - ton really is the best I can do. Can I get speech therapy on the NHS?
  • Options
    trying to pronounce the way I say this by slowly saying it to myself. Which of course is what most people on this thread have been trying to do. Problem is I'm on a packed train coming into Victoria.

Ahh Fuck em I'm CHARL ERN!
  • Options
    Chowl ˌʌn
  • Options
    My Geordie mate pronounces it 'Chewalldun', which always amuses me.
  • Options
    De Kloob.
  • Options
    If someone's just asked me who I support: "Charlton Athletic, we're in League One...?" (code switch to posh-ish accent) (include qualification of league so someone can excuse themselves for not having heard of us)

If I'm talking about the Club to someone who knows who we are: "Chawhl-nn." (Chawhl, as if saying Charl Schwartzel, sort of, with no real 'r' sound). Then there's no t or o - straight to the N sound. SE London accent also becomes more pronounced, as I am proud of my roots.

As above, but when not in London: "Chwln" (SE London accent so pronounced it sounds like parody, but I do it as a subconscious defence and pride in where I'm from)

If I'm talking to my CEO: "Chaah-lton" (so I sound even posher)

If I'm speaking to someone I'm going to a game with: "the footie"

If I'm mocking the regime: "De Kloob/The Belgians/Those wankers in charge"

If we've just scored: "YOU REDS!", as in "GWAAANNNN YOU REDS!" (also: Top Lads, the boys, etc)

If we've just conceded: "You bunch of/you f'in c's/" and a variety of other words I won't repeat here in full before the watershed
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited July 2017
    Chultun
  • Options
    Carlisle
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Chizz said:

Prompted by some interesting posts by - among others - @Baldybonce and @iainment on @AFKABartram 's "Amazing Grace" thread, I wondered if anyone could produce the definitive pronunciation of "Charlton" in type.

Lots of people - northerners, usually - make an effort to pronounce it, but get it horribly wrong. I wince every time I hear "Charton" or worse still "Chorlton".

It's obviously not "Charlton", because, frankly, why would anyone ever bother with the "t"? And the ending isn't "...on", it's more "...ern", isn't it?

For me, there are two ways:

- The two-syllable version, which is "Chow'ern" (where "chow" is a bit like the word "foal").
    - And the three-syllable pronunciation "Chee-ow'ern".

Anyone got any better means of expressing it, in type?

My mum would have said it's Charlton with a 't'. Tbh, I join in with the chants and feel a bit awkward dropping the 't'. I blame my mum.

Perhaps it should be 'Charl'on Ath-u-letic' a la Jimmy Seed?

https://youtu.be/qdXkEqZ4deI
    Love that film clip, has a touch of the Captain Mainwaring about it, somehow in its delivery. I half expected him to say, " Remember chaps, particularly you Jones, this right wing fellow doesn't like it up him!"
  • Options
    charlton nil